Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help choosing DW, please

Posted by hartin (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 10:48

Currently have a 10 yo Kitchenaid DW that is moldy despite repeated citric acid flushes. I have three kids and cook constantly.

I'm thinking about Miele as am not thrilled with KA drying, noise, etc. I am willing to pay a bit more for something that will keep me from having to pre-wash, whose filter I don't have to clean, and that has a softener built in.

Do I have to buy special DW detergent with Miele? Can I use any phosphate free detergent? Are they prone to problems?

I'm not interested in a light, need a DW without a handle and with hidden controls (no clearance in corner). I'm thinking Dimension of some sort. Anyone have one who can vouch for them?

Recommendations? Is Bosch better? I've heard they are good, as well.

I've had so many problems with the KA that I'd like to see the repairman less often. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help choosing DW, please

whose filter I don't have to clean

DWers either have a hard food disposer(that will break and need service if you don't pre rinse) or a filter that needs to be cleaned from time to time. My Miele tells me on the display to clean it every couple of months.

Do I have to buy special DW detergent with Miele? Can I use any phosphate free detergent?

IMO how fussy your Miele is about detergent depends on the local quality of water. Some people find only Miele tabs will do most find Method Smarty Tabs , Finish Quantum, or Cascade Complete work just as well. After phosphates were eliminated people found greater performance differences between dishwasher detergent brands in general not just in use with a particular brand of DW.

Are they prone to problems?

Less so than anyone else, particularly long term.

Is Bosch better?

No, just a little behind Miele. The short term reliability record shows Bosch just a little behind. Long term there are no solid surveys just reputation and there Miele is significantly better.

The $1200+ Bosch with built-in water softener have a manually adjusted water softener while in the Miele the water softener adjust automatically. It is rare for hard water to have a stable hardness level. Sometimes the variation is small enough it does not matter but usually it varies quite a bit. Having a softener that adjust for you is a really big lazy bonus.

I have a La Perla II that I really like so can't vouch for the Dimension in particular but will say that if getting Dimension I would get the Plus model with Q4 sound rating(quieter) that gives you the auto open door at the end of wash cycle to let steam out and help drying. If too expensive I would get the Crystal, which is cheaper than Dimension, but still has the built-in water softener.

o
RE: Help choosing DW, please

Love my Miele. I used to use cascade until Miele rep gave me some Miele tabs and took clean to a new level.

I was a Miele failure on round one but researched again and Miele won. Glad I gave them a second chance.

Btw my esp kicked in and Miele DW was my only extended warranty and worth it this time

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here