Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suetodd0901

Asko Dishwasher D5534XXLFI

SueTodd0901
11 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen. My husband is set on getting a flush dishwasher. To me, function must come before form. I would easily go with a MIle or Bosch, the highest rated ones we researched, however for me capacity is a problem. We use a majority of bowls and glasses, only a few plates. It seems the Mile/Bosch don't accommodate these as well. The Asko model D5534XXLFI, which accommodates a custom panel and installs flush fits our item usage much better. However, I am concerned about reliability. I am not concerned about noise, energy efficiency. My priorities are top notch clean, dry and reliability. If we can couple this with flush design, great. Any current thoughts would be great. I did read some postings in the forum from 2009, but would like more current info. Thanks much!

Comments (14)

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Asko is no longer a Sweedish company but a Slovenian one. I am not saying that is bad thing but something potential buyers should be aware of. Asko dishwashers you buy now are made in Sweeden under the management of Slovenian Gorenje and in the future parts for your made in Sweeden dishwasher will be from Slovenia.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Asko Manufacturing Shifting from Sweden to Slovenia

Jul 13, 2012

All appliance manufacturing operations from the Asko plant in Vara, Sweden, will be relocated to plants belonging to parent company Gorenje in Velenje, Slovenia. Asko research and development, brand management, and marketing operations will remain in Vara.
    About 450 of 500 total Asko employees in Vara will lose their jobs when the manufacturing change is complete next year.
    The Vara plant currently represents about 7% of Gorenje Group's total production output.

Gorenje reported that it performed analyses of potential Asko manufacturing configurations as well as negotiating with trade unions. It said it determined that consolidating Asko manufacturing in Velenje while keeping R&D, brand management, and marketing on Vara was the optimum solution.

Manufacturing will be moved from Vara to Velenje in two stages. Washing machine and dryer production will end in Sweden on January 31, 2013, and resumed in Velenje in April 2013. Dishwasher production will end in Sweden on June 30, 2013, and re-launched in Velenje in September 2013.

Gorenje Group acquired Asko in 2010 and said that, despite several initiatives intended to boost performance, Asko's results have consistently fallen short of expectations.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

• SueTodd0901
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info! Anyone out there have an Asko dishwasher?

• Sherrie Moore
    11 years ago

I have an Asko D5152 that I bought a year and a half ago on the recommendation of a close friend who has had her Asko same model for three years. We both love them and no issues so far. My friend liked her so much she is putting another Asko in her new lake home.

• lawlopez
    11 years ago

Well, I guess the weather wold be nicer.

• lawlopez
    11 years ago

Regarding Asko from:

http://www.appliancemagazine.com/news.php?article=1597414&zone=0amp;first=1

Manufacturing will be moved from Vara to Velenje in two stages. Washing machine and dryer production will end in Sweden on January 31, 2013, and resumed in Velenje in April 2013. Dishwasher production will end in Sweden on June 30, 2013, and re-launched in Velenje in September 2013.

Gorenje Group acquired Asko in 2010 and said that, despite several initiatives intended to boost performance, Asko's results have consistently fallen short of expectations.

• bbburk
    11 years ago

We just bought an Asko and unfortunately i'm not sure which one at the moment - mid range i think - about $850 - but i'm not crazy about its cleaning ability. in fact worse that the last two dishwashers i had in rental apartments. And plastic is a wet mess.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Gorenje is quite well reputed, isn't it? I know Bosch was rebranding their dryers for awhile.

• sue2012
    11 years ago

I am liking mine.
    I have had it for about 3 months.

• meg_ma
    11 years ago

We've had this model Asko for 2 years and are quite happy. We tried a few detergents before finding that the Method Smarty Dish tablets seem to work the best. Our dishes seemed to fit better in this dishwasher then in others, one of the main reasons for our choice, it's also very quiet.

• putschki
    11 years ago

Hi SueTodd0901--did you end up getting this dishwasher? How do you like it ? We are also considering it for our build.
    Other recent model Asko owners--do you have any praise or criticism you can share ? Thank you.

• SueTodd0901
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Our remodel got pushed back. Will start next month. We purchased the Asko dishwasher. We'll post a follow up on e it is installed.

• will2kz
    10 years ago

I've had an older, but similar model for Asko for 3 years.... I love it. Yes its quiet, yes I bought it mostly because of the racks. The bearings are smooth, and the layout was the most functional of the brands. I also got a 5 year warrantee when I bought it. The flat middle rack is very nice, I realize Miele has on one top. The key to a good wash is proper loading and proper detergent, and maybe softened water....

• will2kz
    10 years ago

I have this model, or I think I do, except with stainless. Its a beast. I chose it over miele as I preferred the rack layout better and they just seem to slide better. Cleaning is fine as long as you load it right, and choose a reasonable detergent. I think the biggest problem people have with unclean dishes is having awkward dishes, or not loading them correctly. Its virtually quiet, and if there is food leftover its almost always because something fell into a sprayarm to block rotation, or something was just at a bad angle to be washed.