Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Top Load Washer

Posted by spotted_cat (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 10:24

I need to buy a small top load washer because I have a narrow depth in my laundry room. I only have 30" depth. I am limited to GE top load washers because they have a 25" depth. I am trying to decide between the 5450 that has the hydrowave wash system and does not require the HE detergent and the 5550 which uses the infuser wash system and requires the HE detergent. 5450 allows the user to set the water level and the 5550 does not. Since the Infuser system is newer, is it better? I am concerned that the low water level in the 5550 won't get the clothes as clean. Any comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Top Load Washer

You might want to cross post in laundry:

Here is a link that might be useful: laundry forum

o
RE: GE Top Load Washer

The problem with these (infuser) is not necessary the amount of water, though the senors can malfunction, but the motor. A machine like his with a belt and pulley motor the belt will slip trying to turn large loads making it appear the the water level is an issue, some clothes don't get wet and don't come out clean. The 5450 still has senors because it has an "auto fill" option, you will need HE soap with this and will fill on it's own. Previous model senor sometimes came into play even when large was selected. Look at the GTWN2800 series it is a traditional top loader or make sure the HE top loader has a direct drive motor!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here