Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of Viking Pro Drop in Cooktop?

Posted by fourquinn (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 10:17

I was all set to order the six burner 36" drop in Viking Pro cooktop until I read about issues with Viking products on this forum. I've seen a lot of negative on Viking, but not specifically on their drop in cooktop. Does anyone have experience with one? I love the look of it (I know this shouldn't be important, but it is to me especially as it will be very visible on my island). I would order Wolf, but I don't find the knob placement pleasing to the eye...it drives me crazy. As an fyi, the cooktop will be used with downdraft ventilation which I understand is not acceptable to many on this forum, but is our only viable option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of Viking Pro Drop in Cooktop?

Just because it's a cooktop vs. a range doesn't mean they are different species. They'll still have much of the same internals.

It's not that downdrafts are "not acceptable". It's not opinion based. It's fact based. You're attempting to contravene the laws of phisics. When you have a dragon in the kitchen, it produces way too much heat, steam and smoke to ever be captured by any downdraft. If you have a fan strong enough to suck all of that rising stuff back down, then it's strong enough to suck on the flame and potentially put it out. It's certainly going to be LOUD and marginally effective no matter what.

o
RE: Thinking of Viking Pro Drop in Cooktop?

I owned a 36" 6 burner Viking cooktop (drop-in) from about 2000 to 2007. My personal opinion is that the design of the sealed burners on the viking produces very uneven heating around the perimeter of the pan. The large burner was almost completely unusable because the flames came out around 12-14" in diameter. Our largest saute pan which was 14" only got heat around the very edges. My 16" wok was only hot from about half way up the side rather than at the bottom where it was supposed to be. Also, I found that the aluminum collar around the burners became horribly stained even though I was very careful about cleaning after each use. The the heat right around and under the burners was intense enough to bake on any spatters almost immediately onto the aluminum collar or the stainless steel around the burners.

My advise would be to find a live unit somewhere and try using it paying particular attention to heat distribution and such. As long as you are happy with your decision, then that's all that really matters.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here