Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhebert_gw

help with appliance package selection

bhebert
10 years ago

We are about to begin a kitchen remodel project and have narrowed our appliance selection down to Viking and Thermador. Both are offering promotions that allows for a free dishwasher and vent hood when purchasing a range and refrigerator. Please provide opinions on the following packages:

Viking:
VDSC5486GSS 48" DUAL FUEL W/ GRIDDLE
VCSB5481DSS 48" PRO COOL SXS W/ DISP SS
FDW100 24" DESIGNER 3 DISHWASHER
VWH48481SSCR 48"X24" PRO WALL HOOD
VMOS201SS - PRO MICROWAVE SS

Thermador:
PRD486JDGU - 48" PRO GRAND DUAL FUEL RANGE
T48BD820NS - 48" SXS REFRIG W/ ICE AND WATER
MCES - CONVECTION MICROWAVE
DWHD440MFP - EMERALD DISHWASHER
48" VENT HOOD

Both packages are similar in price. I am also considering a Thermador package with the 48" steam oven w/ warming drawer.

Comments (14)

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I personally would say to get away from any "package" deal and get what you want in each item. Most of these packages tend to balance cost with quality. And in my opinion it seems to always take away more from the quality.

If it is just to make all the appliances "match" again my opinion is to not do that and get what you can afford and what you like for each option.

There are better/other options in each category that might be a better fit for you and your family compared to what you "have" to take as part of each of these packages.

Now, if you are not going to go with a non-package deal and you are set on going with one of these then I personally would pick the Thermador as I personally liked the looks of their stuff compared to Viking. And it seems from reviews on here that Viking is not what it once used to be in terms of quality.

It is ultimately your money and your choice, but I would seriously look at breaking out of the package idea and get the things you really want rather than settling.

Phil

• bhebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What would you suggest to stay in this price point for each appliance? I really like the Thermador steam range and they are the only one's offering it right now.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

What is the price range?

Do you have to have a range or could you do range top and then a separate wall oven?

Do you have to have a griddle on the range/range top?

Are you set on a 48" fridge?

I don't know much about the Thermador Steam oven, but are you sure it is 48"?

Do you prefer open or closed burners for your range?

Do you have to have dual fuel?

• bhebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

for all appliances around $20k. My design calls for a free standing range. I like the 48" as it has 6 burners and a griddle which I want. I would like a 48" fridge as it gives us the amount of cubic feet we need and still allows for counter depth. prefer closed burners on the range for cleaning,

not set on dual fuel, but I've been told it is better for baking. We currently have an all gas range.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

OK, let me look at this when I have a bit more time, and hopefully others will chime in on this also.

I just asked so we knew where you stood and what you were looking at so we can answer the questions for you.

As for ease of cleaning, honestly I think open burners are WAYYYY easier to clean. I know have a BS, but have heard the same from people with the CC models. If that is your only reason for not wanting open burners I would suggest you do some more reading and see about reconsidering if you would at least consider them. If not that is fine, but from my own experience I know I would never want to go back now that I have them.

Phil

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Capital Culinarian Series CGMR484G2 48" Pro-Style Gas Range with Griddle $6891

Kobe Hood CH00 Series CH0048SQB1CH0048DC12 $2000

KitchenAid Architect Series II KSSC48FTS $6859
    Same fridge as Thermador just different handles.

Miele Futura Crystal Series G5225SS $1299

NIB GAGGENAU BS261630 30" Combination Steam/Convection Oven $3499

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-GAGGENAU-BS261630-30-Combination-Steam-Convection-Oven-Aluminum-Left-Hinge-/300796916605?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item4608e4b37d

SHARP KB6525PS 30" INSIGHT PRO MICROWAVE DRAWER $505

Total $21053

A few more dollars but a much better appliance package.

Range is floor model. Seller says sold as is but you still get the factory warranty the appliance store just does not want your phone call. If there are warranty problems must contact manufacture directly.

Gaggenau policy is if you don't buy from local authorized dealer warranty is void so the steam oven comes without warranty but you get the best steam oven for half price.

If you get Sharp Drawer MW from ebay you get 30 day warranty or you can pay an extra $300 and get it from local Home Depot and get a one year warranty.

The rest of the appliances are listed at standard price with standard warranties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Range

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

OK, this is why I recommend not buying a package deal from one manufacturer, I love what Deegaux put together and I would be all over that in a moment if I hadn't already just done a full remodel!! :)

I am not sure I will have the time to come up with anything better than that, so I probably won't post any other suggestions.

Phil

• bhebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate the suggestions, but please let me know which of the two packages you would recommend between the Viking and Thermador selections I mentioned in my original post.

• wekick
    10 years ago

You would probably be be best served if you want to stick with those brands only, to compare features and determine what best fits your personal cooking needs. Ask yourself if the clicking on the Thermador simmer is bothersome. This alone is a deal killer for some. Buy the longest extended warranty you can, especially when dealing with electronics. If all else fails, you could go by looks. Viking has some pretty colors.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I will stick with my original thought and that is don't go with either package, get things separate, still the best way to go.

And if you have to pick one, again I personally would pick Thermador based upon recent bad reviews of Viking in general.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

If picking between the two packages, I would pick the Thermador. I heavily considered a Thermador package in my recent remodel. There are just too many issues (report here, in the reliability reports and in pro reviews) with the viking ranges, DW, and built-in fridges (as opposed to the slideins) to ignore. Although all companies can produce lemons, some seem to produce them by the bushel.

Interesting to me that Viking is now matching this promotion, which to me is a clear sign the new owners are concerned with lost market share or declining sales.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

The Thermador package is a dumb choice while the Viking is a retarded choice. So between the two.......

• bhebert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks deeageaux for your intelligent response.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I am there with Deeageaux, you asked us for our input, then you basically said "no thanks". You want our honest opinion, I have to agree with DEE on this one, but I also gave you my choice for best of the worst selection.

It is your money, do want you want with it, but why would you ask for help if you are just going to ignore all input from the people you asked?

Best of luck and enjoy your new kitchen and appliances whatever they end up being.

Phil