Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CC range delivered & installed Monday. What should I check for?

Posted by Bellsmom (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 9:52

Monday my new Capital Culinarian, a 30" self clean, will be delivered. I have waited ages for my old JennAire to die and it finally has had the grace to do so.

The delivery company will also install the range and remove the old one. I had the store where I bought it uncrate it and check for obvious problems--dents, misaligned door, whatever.

Before the installers leave, what should we check out? They are company service agents for two other high end ranges (maybe LaCanche and Berta), although, I think, not for CC. I was told by the sales agent that they are qualified to make adjustments and evaluate all problems.

I know to be sure burners do not click.
What else should I evaluate before they leave?

Will just turning broiler and oven on for a brief time yield any useful info?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CC range delivered & installed Monday. What should I check fo

Other than just doing the basic tests of lighting each burner on the cooktop and in the oven, there is not much you'll have time to do while the installers are there. Just cook on the range like you normally would and call them back if it isn't performing as you think it should.

o

My installers didn't hook up the gas regulator in my CC rangetop so I would suggest checking for that. If they really know what they are doing, have them check each burner with the lights dimmed to make sure the burners aren't burning too hot. They can, if they have a screwdriver thin and long enough to get inside the knob, make adjustments to the flame so the colors look right. My burners were burning too hot at installation so the blue part of the flame was too high.

Hope you love your new range!

o

As part of making sure that the burners don't click, make sure that they are adjusted sufficiently low to give you a good simmer. Also, make sure that when turned up, the flames are mainly blue with almost no orange.

o
RE: CC range delivered & installed Monday. What should I chec

Good info. Thanks.

Before the installers leave, we will
1. dim lights, turn up the burners and check for flame color--nearly all blue and very little orange.
2. turn down the top burners and check for simmer and no click
3. be sure the gas regulator is hooked up to the range top.
4. turn on all oven and broiler burners to be sure they ignite and also do not burn too orange.

And I will
1. Cross my fingers, and toes, and wish for all to function perfectly.

Any other suggestions? I am certain I will have to experiment to determine even oven heating and accurate thermostat settings.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 12:59

o

You have already received great advice. I am mostly through the installation and follow-up adjustments on my new Bluestar. I had a bunch of mechanical alignment issues - most have been handled by the appliance store whose senior guy has been amazing! We had a bunch of things out of alignment when the range was first installed - make sure everything is level - each burner grate as well as the overall range - use a long level for the overall range, not the special burner grate levels the installers may bring. Make sure the drip trays pull out easily - mine didn't which was the first sign that there were pieces on the range that were out of whack. Check the alignment of the oven door, and how it opens and shuts. Make sure you run your hood after all the burners and oven are off, and then smell for gas. I had a knob that wasn't working properly (actually many knobs were too tight) and one was hard to turn to the full off position and was leaking gas. I noticed that when I first ran my burners they all had a little more orange flame than I would have expected, but after running everything for a minute or so it all evened out. Perhaps that is a start-up issue??
Enjoy and good luck! My appliance guy didn't leave until 7pm last night but I still had a chance to cook and bake and was in heaven!!

o
RE: CC range delivered & installed Monday. What should I chec

MarinaGal
More good advice.
I think I will cumulate my list periodically. The final result may be useful to other new users. So, after adding info from your post, this is what I have:

Before the installers leave, WE will
1. dim lights, turn up the burners and check for flame color--nearly all blue and very little orange.
2. turn down the top burners and check for simmer and no click
3. be sure the gas regulator is hooked up to the range top.
4. turn on all oven and broiler burners to be sure they ignite and also do not burn too orange.
5. Check each burner grate and the overall range with a long level--front to back and side to side and diagonally.
6. Make sure drip trays and oven shelves pull out easily.
7. Carefully check oven door alignment and closure.
8. After turning on all top burners, turn them off, run the exhaust fan on high, and smell for gas.
9. Evaluate the burner knobs. Do they turn to full on and off easily?

And I will
1. Cross my fingers, and toes, and wish for all to function perfectly.
Any other suggestions? Anything you wish you had checked and didn't? I am certain I will have to experiment to determine even oven heating and accurate thermostat settings.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 16:44

o

The warning about leaking gas is a good one but as you probably know, when you first turn a burner on you will smell a little bit of gas before the burner ignites - that is normal.

o
Range Installation Check List

Here is an organized version of the check list I compiled from your suggestions:

Before the installers leave,

WE will

2. turn the top burners to low and check for simmer and no click.

3. evaluate the burner & oven knobs. Do they turn to full on and off easily?

5. check each burner grate and the overall range with a long level--front to back and side to side and diagonally.

6. make sure drip trays and oven racks pull out easily.

7. carefully check oven door alignment and closure.

8. after turning on all top burners, turn them off, run the exhaust fan on high, and smell for gas.

Many thanks to those who contributed ideas. Any additional suggestions??

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here