Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickinnh

Cross Post: Kobe and Imperial Hoods and Venting Question

nickinnh
14 years ago

(I just posted this on the Kitchens forum before seeing the recent thread below on Kobe hoods, so no need to repeat that very helpful information here but I would appreciate thoughts on Imperial hoods and my venting situation.)

Greetings All! I'm in the midst of a kitchen renovation and these boards have been immensely helpful. Thank you all.

My question: I have really struggled choosing the under-cabinet hood for my 30 inch Bluestar range. I live in a 300 year old house and the cabinets were literally custom built around the custom ductwork (fabricated specifically for the space to avoid sharp angles) in 1960. I can't get an 8 inch round duct in the cabinets without substantial expense. The cabinets and ductwork are staying. The ducts are 3 1/4 by 10 rectangular, and the run is about 4 feet.

So I've been struggling to find the best hood for this situation, in particular something compatible for the rectangular ducting. I can transition from a seven inch hole but probably not an 8 inch (Vent a Hood is out as are most top brands).

I see three choices: 1) Broan Elite E64 (600 cfm, rectangular ducting, subpar styling, and apparently loud--13 sones cranked up); 2) Kobe Ch-176 (7 inch duct. 700 cfm, claims to be quiet); 3) Imperial 1900PSB-10 (750 cfm and I can only find it at Universal Appliance and Kitchen).

I cannot find much information about the Kobe and Imperial brands. Can anyone steer me toward or away from one of these? I've read about trouble with the lights (too dim) and electronics on the Kobes. Haven't found much on the Imperials and I can only find this model at Universal Appliance and Kitchen which gets sketchy reviews. All of these are in my price range but I'm willing to go up to $1000 if anyone has better ideas for a 30 inch, under cabinet, angular stainless with max cfm for 3 1/2 by 10 or 7 inch round ducting on a short run. Performance is more important than noise. I wok and sear and otherwise rev up the Bluestar, but I also have a tolerance for smoke. I have a nice casement window rear the range for additional air.

Many thanks for any insights.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths