Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do your dishes come out of the DW totally dry?

Posted by olivertwist (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 9:31

We have a new Fridgidaire DW, and it does exactly what our old one did. Pretty much everything on the top rack comes out wet. This is all the tupperware, plastic bowls and plastic cups. I end up unpacking it all and spreading it out on dishtowels to dry.

It's not that I mind too much, but I'm realizing that a huge problem that I have no counterspace is that I always have dishes drying on the countertop. What a waste of counterspace.

So do I need to re-design the kitchen with more counterspace, or get a different dishwasher? Do all DW do this? If I had a DW with a higher heat setting would I melt all that plasticware?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do your dishes come out of the DW totally dry?

Do you use rinse aid? If not, there's your problem.

o

Plastic stuff usually comes out with varying degrees of wetness. Concave parts of coffee mugs for ex., usually retain some water as well (if I place the mugs on a more angled section of the rack, there is usually less water, if any).

Our Miele DW does not have a heating element in it, which means I can put plastic items anywhere in the DW without fearing that they will melt. I much prefer the ability to do that, and I am willing to forgo bone dry plastic-ware in order to be able to place my larger plastic containers on the bottom rack of my DW.

o

Our old KA dishwasher used to get everything pretty dry even on "Energy Saver" and absolutely bone-dry on "Heated Dry" but the exposed heating element was a big risk for items that might have been blown out of position. One time we had a small plastic item get stuck and melt all over the thing, and it took some delicate scraping and several months before the stink was out.

Our current Bosch DW is far, FAR better at cleaning than the old KA was and there is no exposed heating element so things cannot melt. Oddly, ceramic/metal/glass items usually come out quite dry (maybe small amounts of water on the concave tops of glasses) but plastic is almost always wet. Quite frankly, I can handle this if it means everything is coming out perfectly clean and without any hard water stains (thanks to the built-in softener.) But it is a bit odd.

o

Our new DW came with a free package of rinse aid. I don't get it, though. How is adding something going to make things dryer? Also, we use Seventh Generation detergent, so I'm apprehensive about adding more chemicals to the mix.

o

Rinse aid causes the water to bead up and run off so things tend to dry faster. I use rinse aid along with heated dry and everything comes out perfectly dry except for little puddles of water in cup and bowl indentations. As long as you put plastics in the upper rack, you shouldn't have any problems with things melting.

o

Actually, rinse aid caused water to NOT bead up so it runs off (sheets off, they say).

o

Everything bone dry except the occasional deep pocket on the bottom of something.

o

This subject has been argued to the death in numerous prior threads. It's the old "American heated dry versus Euro non-heated dry" technology issue. Rather than rewrite my longwinded opinions on this subject, try this thread:

When did we allow machines to enslave us?

In short, I greatly prefer the energy savings and lack of melted plastics with our Miele and Bosch DW's versus the coil-heated GE's we had back in the day.

o

Do you use the regular heated dry cycle? I never need to but maybe yours needs it. My hot water and stainless interior dries everything except the indent on the top oh glasses which I go over quickly with a towel then put everything away.

o

Not really. Mine are still pretty wet, but they are clean.

o

We have SS tub (LG DW), and I only have to wipe the very bottoms of coffee cups but sometimes not even that. Yes, I use a rinse-aid. Our plastic cups that we use for water fare fine. We may have to wipe the bottoms of those, too. Don't really have issues with warping on the top rack plastics.

o

My new KA gets the dishes and all plastics totally dry except for typical sippy cup and the bottom of mugs where water collects...

o

As I suspected, you aren't using rinse aid. The problem isn't the machine. Read your owner's manual. Rinse aid is a REQUIRED step of using a DW. If you don't want to use it, you'll have to resign yourself to wet dishes in any machine.

o

OliverTwist,

Rinse aid is not a new thing to the automatic dishwashing process. It has been available for 50+ years. It was touted in the past as an optional additive to eliminate water spotting on dishware, but the parameters have changed. As other have advised, rinse aid is required for proper drying results in all dishwashers nowadays. They're engineered with the expectation that the consumer will use rinse aid. You can choose to not use it but the trade-off is much more residual moisture on the items. Many units now do not have heated dry, instead relying on heat retained in the items from the final rinse along with rinse aid to promote evaporation. Units that do have heated dry are running with lower-wattage heating elements, and the heat may cycle on/off during the dry period instead of remaining on continuously as in the past.

o

My Maytag is about 10 years old. Plastic interior. I never use the heated dry cycle, but I do use rinse aid. My dishes and plastics come out dry (except for divots on the bottom of cups and glasses) unless I open it immediately after the cycle ends. It definitely helps the "natural" drying to keep it closed for a couple of hours or more after it's finished the cycle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here