Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
les_bailey

Do you Grill on your Range Top?

les_bailey
13 years ago

Am soliciting input from those of you who do some amount of cooking on your range top's grill feature.

What do you like, or not like?

How often do you use it?

How does the quality & flavor compare to outdoor gas grilling?

Any comments welcome !

We are diehard weekend hardwood charcoal people, and do not compare charcoal to gas - so charcoal is discounted in this discussion please. I used to have gas outdoors also, and recall that it was fast - but outdoor setup was pretty high overhead (weather, setup, preheat, moving indoors & outdoors, etc.).

We're building new, and current status is that we're working floorplans & researching phase. We're mid-life DINKs, and I cook while he cleans. Current work schedule dictates that my more involved pleasure cooking be primarily on the weekends, but would like to imagine the occasional fast grilling indoors during the week (see above comment for "high overhead").

While imaging that using the Range Top grilling feature would be fun, fast & healthy, I've never had the opportunity for a grill option, have no idea really HOW one grills indoors, how it tastes, and how often I'd use it. Am considering the moderately priced Monogram or Viking LP tops.

Thanks in advance ! Will post this in Kitchens as well.

Comments (17)

• john_com
    13 years ago

>>What do you like, or not like?

I have a Wolf infrared unit on my dual fuel range. What I like is a lot but the main points are:

Increased menu items. We do a lot of grilled sandwiches, never did before. And I mean REAL GRILLING not some "grill pan". While those do work they cannot compare.

Easy side grilled items when cooking in the kitchen

WOW factor

SUPER HOT (Wolf) chars a steak like no tomorrow

Inclimate weather grilling

the list (for me) goes on..

Not like:

Clean up of the grill and hood when grilling higher fat foods

Small useable area, the heat is not entire across the grate. cool spots though can be used to your advantage

>>How often do you use it?

At least twice a week. More than I did ouside grilling. It will not replace an outdoor unit though.

>> does the quality & flavor compare to outdoor gas grilling?

Don't know, only use charcoal outside. BUT a steak done on the high heat of the Wolf infrared unit is imo great

Ventilation is very important and can become complicated. Check your local building codes concerning high power kitchen hoods

I can say that having this Wolf for 3 years now that I will never be without an indoor grill. I am quite pleased but others are as equally unhappy with an indoor grill.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I don't have a true indoor grill, but, were I to live in a worse climate, I would. So, one thing to consider: how much you enjoy grilled food vs. how often your climate prevents outdoor grilling.

• Denise Evans
    13 years ago

Totally agree with john.com. I have the Wolf infrared unit as well and admit I use it infrequently because it just plain doesn't taste like an outdoor grill and it's a pain to keep clean. I do have the "cadillac" of outdoor grills, however, made by Kalamazoo Grill and use it year round even in Northern Michigan where we can get 3 feet of snow on the patio. If we were to move, I'd eliminate the indoor infrared grill at my next house.

• teachmkt
    13 years ago

Also agree with john.com, not clear with above post comment "doesn't taste like charcoal." We find the IR superior to NG outside grill, similar in flavor to high heat charcoal. Have read that IR and direct charcoal are same type of heat energy, different than convection type heat of regular gas grills. While we don't use it that often, still would not be without it, especially in inclement weather and entertaining.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I have a grill on my Jennair (which is going away in the remodel). I used it only once or twice -- too messy. But I also have a Green Egg, and we use it all the time in all seasons. It is very versatile and we get great results. In winter we move it from the terrace to the garage. We roll it out to the driveway to use if a couple of times a week -- even when there is snow on the ground. Beats cleaning an indoor grill and uses real charcoal --much better than an indoor grill.

• les_bailey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excellent tips & points, thank you ! While Wolf is out of the budget, I believe that Monogram uses IR, while Viking explains theirs as gas with "flavorizer bars" (sounds same as the Weber gas grill config).
    If our kitchen size can handle the 48", I may go with this. Would be nice to work a demo, and I'll check that out with local distributors too.

Thanks all !

• seasidetomato
    13 years ago

Bumping this thread back up to ask--OK, so how's the clean up, really?

I am planning on getting an American Range with a 15,000 BTU grill and a hood with good capture area and 900 CFMs (to go with the approx 100,000 BTUs on the stove --I do not expect to use all burners on high at once, so thought 900 cfm would do it).

I want to grill inside when necessary but am very curious how bad the clean up is?

I'm sure it varies by what you cook, what type of range top, etc--this will be sealed burners and baffles in the hood that can go in the dishwasher.

Are folks talking about cleaning up around the range? Walls, floor, etc.?

As it is now, I have to clean my old Magic chef stove that came with the house every time I cook even a simple OE egg, so a thorough stove wipe-down is par for the course for me. am I in for much worse?

Thanks!

• teachmkt
    13 years ago

OK, here's how the cleanup is, really. For the Wolf, we leave it on after the steaks are done and put a disposable aluminum tray over the grid for 10 minutes. This pretty much nukes anything stuck to the grid. Then just a quick brush down. Alternatively once the grid cools to the touch, put a moist towel over it, let it sit for until it's cool and then clean the grid with an SS scrubbie. If there's been a lot of fat from what we've grilled, then the liner that encircles the IR ceramic grid pops out and I clean it in the sink with BKF and SS scrubbie, takes about 10 minutes. Work but not overwhelming when compared to the fun of the grill. IR is closer to charcoal in flavor and heat than gas grills, either inside or out. Unless one drops what was on the grill on the floor, there's no other cleaning, even on the stovetop (our grill is centered between burners). When we were looking at ranges, I cooked steaks on the Wolf and Viking, the Viking was not IR and I prefered the Wolf.

• gayl
    13 years ago

I have had an indoor grill for almost 20 years. I used it once and thought it was way too intensive a clean-up for mediocre results. We just keep our outdoor grill close to the kitchen outside and use it year-round.

• jcq
    13 years ago

We are just beginning a remodel and are looking at a 36" pro-style range w/a grill. We've been told by one store that a 600cfm hood would be sufficient and another place said we would need 1200cfm. Any thoughts on which is correct?

• amcook
    13 years ago

Personally, I would say 600cfm over a 36" range with grill is a bit under powered. I'd go 1200cfm but you can probably get away with around 900cfm. If you only grill veggies, then maybe 600 would be enough but with meat especially nicely marbled steak you'll have more smoke than a 600cfm blower can handle I think.

Good luck.

• seasidetomato
    13 years ago

Teachmkt et al--thanks!

Good to know. I needed folks to be pretty explicit on this--I really appreciate it!

SST

• jcq
    13 years ago

Teachmkt, do you think that the IF grill is superior to a plain tube gas grill, like Vikings? We are trying to decide between the Viking, which isn't IF and the Monogram dual fuel which is IF and supposedly easier clean up. One salesman said that only ash is left on the IF and it can be just sponged up. Is that true? I'm a little skeptical of some of these range sales people.

Also, amcook, thanks for your thoughts on the hood. I was beginning to think along those same lines. Thanks again.

• teachmkt
    13 years ago

"We are just beginning a remodel and are looking at a 36" pro-style range w/a grill. We've been told by one store that a 600cfm hood would be sufficient and another place said we would need 1200cfm. Any thoughts on which is correct?"

We went through the same decision--hardest aspect of the whole renovation. One main thing we learned is CFM by itself is pretty much meaningless unless you're talking about differences in the same brand/model. CFM stats are supplied by manufacturer, and the actual effectiveness will depend on hood size, shape, type (wall v. island, flanking upper cabinets, etc.) and duct run. We have a 600cfm VH, 27"X42" over 36" range with a short run, one turn, and it works well enough with our grill. It's a wall mount with flanking cabinetts. VH customer service advised us on the sizing. The biggest detriment to upward air flow is a high riser shelf that we remove for the smokiest of grilling). I would have preferred a 900cfm VH, but the ducting requirements couldn't be spec'ed.

IR versus regular grills: I've worked behind the line and imo IR is superior due to how it cooks (again, like charcoal). IR is like standing in sunlight, while the other grills are like standing in a warm breeze or pressing something warm against your face: IR directly heats the surface of what's being cooked, while the other ways heat the air and grill grates. My guess is the IR carmelizes the meat surface more effectively. This having been said, the question of how much better is very much an individual preference (I'm usually too lazy to bother starting charcoal and use a gas grill for outside cooking and the steaks taste fine).

• teachmkt
    13 years ago

oops. Didn't see the last question. Yes the salesman is right about the ash if the grid is burned off as described in my earlier post. There is no drip tray under the grill; the ceramic grid vaporizes all that drips down on it (that should give you an idea of how hot it is). There is a learning curve to learning how to use it (no altogether a bad thing if you like steak . . . ). One caveat: we use it nearly exclusively for steaks and the like, if I did more lower heat grilling I'd seriously look at an adjustable traditional grill. The Wolf can be toned down with SS plates that cover part of the grilling surface, but it's not as easy as a regular grill.

• jcq
    13 years ago

Teachmkt, so am I understanding correctly that with the IF you can only grill using full force? Can it be dialed down like the other burners to grill veggies or bread?

I appreciate your info. It is starting to clear things up for me since my head has been spinning trying to research all this stuff.

• teachmkt
    13 years ago

My Wolf is 7 years old, so I'm unsure as to how current models are configured. There has been much misinformation on this site that Wolf is either "high or off" (unfortunately as is often the case written by non-owners). Mine has "blank off" plate that is placed over IR ceramic element that reduces the heat significantly for more delicate grilling. I rarely use it. We got an extra one and cut it into a 4" and 7" pieces which in essence gives a two stage grill where the unblanked off area can be used as a searing grill and the blanked off side to finish. Easily enough space for cooking for two, just barely enough for 4. Alternatively, we'll use full heat to score meat and/or crisp skin and finish in a slower oven (think duck . . .)

Glad to be able to help, I wish I could have had a practice run for the first time doing an upscale kitchen and then do it for real a second time. I find the Eurostove's videos very helpful, and I think VH and Wolf-Subzero have also followed suit with videos on their corporate sites if you can't get to any demo kitchens.