Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
practicalcook

Viking 7 Series vs. Blue Star

PracticalCook
9 years ago

Help! I cannot make a decision!

I am doing a complete kitchen renovation and need to make a choice for a 36" commercial/professional stainless range/oven.

I am a passionate cook who only uses the oven for a few major holidays per year (think Thanksgiving) when I have 15-20 people over. I am torn between the new Viking 7 Series and a Blue Star. The chef in me says get the Blue Star with its larger capacity oven and "workhorse" reputation. However, I am concerned with the heat emanating from the door and the temperature of the door itself since I the oven will be in a enclosed space and we usually have small children milling about.

The new Viking 7 series line seems promising. I am very aware of the past problems with Viking, but with its new manufacturer and 6 year warranty it appears that the company is improving its quality and customer service. With its more powerful burners, more closely related to the Blue Star, it seems like a promising contender.

I have to purchase a new dishwasher, fridge, and hood, and the price of the Viking is about $2,000 more than the Blue Star package.

I plan to stay in my house another 15-20 years, so resale value is not my highest priority. Nor is the "impressing my neighbor" factor.

Any other suggestions for additional brands? Is there anything that I should be aware of?

I have been reading all the Garden Web blogs, which has touched on this topic, but mostly focused on the Viking 3 and 5 series. Thank you!

Comments (2)