Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kenmore washer - 90 Series Water Mix Valve Repair

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 8:51

I have had some luck repairing my Kenmore washer (lid switch) and Kenmore dishwasher (water inlet valve) over the past few years. Now my washer is once again acting up. Its a Kenmore model 110.20922990. I think its a 90 series but cannot be sure since I cant find the manual. I do have the parts list. I believe the unit was made in 2001 so I cant complain I guess.

She is old and a bit rusted but has handled to abuse of a family of four ( 2 teens) well. In fact I worry that a new model wont last half as long. Anyway, cold water will not fill. I blew some air in there thinking something was clogged..it worked for a day now wont fill with cold water again. The water mixing valve part (#3952164) is likely the culprit, bad solenoid I think its cheap and looks like a simple install.

The question is whether its worth doing or is it time to just buy a new washer. Personally Id take a chance on the part and my skill set to fix it. However, when googling on a how to repair when I saw some posts about another issue this 90 series model, an issue where it wont stop filling! I cant help but wonder if this could be an upcoming issue for my washer soon and who wants a flood!

So, what do you think? Perform the repair ($30) or replace the unit. Btw, does anyone know what capacity this model was?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kenmore washer - 90 Series Water Mix Valve Repair

The serial number is coded for the week and year of manufacture.

90 series, 80, 70, etc. are marketing terms and doesn't much matter. Majority of mechanical parts are the same across all series, other than those related to feature upgrades ... such as a 3-speed motor vs. 2-speed or 1-speed ... a water valve with an ATC sensor vs. one without ... different timers for cycle selections, and so forth. The model number is the key to proper replacement parts, of course.

Replace the water valve ... yes, of course.

You're waffling over $30? I replaced the transmission on an 11-years-old Whirlpool couple weeks ago, $127.75.

BTW, you can get the valve here for $12.99 (current sale price) + $6.99 shipping -- PartsDr.com

o

Not waffling over price...saw some posts about some other part that dies that allows the washer to overfill...thought that could lead to an overflow and a flood....does this ever happen?

If not, I am on my way to ge the part!

o

Of course overflows sometimes happen. There are several potential causes for any washing machine to overflow. A common fault in that regard is one of the water valves hanging open / failing to close ... but your replacement should minimize the possibility (other than the odds of a manufacturing defect in the new part or a bit of debris in the water supply getting past the protective screens).

Fix the problem at hand, don't worry so much about other things that could happen. :-)

However, do make sure the valve is the problem before ordering the part. Test the solenoids for continuity with a multimeter, and confirm 120v at the solenoids when they should be on. Could also be a broken/shorted wire, temp switch problem, or timer problem.

o

Well, I bought the part...probably should have done some testing but I wanted the part before the holiday! We will see what happens. Thanks!

o

It worked!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here