Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keeping freezer outside

Posted by joannaqcw (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 8:46

We would like to save energy so we're thinking of keeping our freezer in a building that stays fairly cool in summer and is unheated in winter (we're in upstate NY, so it will get substantially below freezing). I've read that it's inadvisable to keep freezers outdoors or where temperatures are extreme, but the specifics were all about the dangers of keeping a freezer where it's too hot; can it b a problem to have a freezer in a really cold space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keeping freezer outside

We have a fridge/freezer in an unheated garage in Md.
We had problems with the freezer in the winters. Kenmore came out and said that it had to do with the thermostat being controlled in the fridge section so that when outdoor temps dropped, the temp in the refrigerator was cold enough so the condenser would shut off so the stuff in the freezer would start to thaw.
Not sure how it would work with a freezer but seems like it may shut off and on a lot due to outdoor temps.
Here is a note on installing them in garages. Perhaps there are some models that are designed to operate effiiiently at lower temps but seems like the majority would not:

Note: manufacturers do not recommend you keep a freezer in the garage or any other outbuilding, as it may have to use much more energy. Most models require a minimum ambient temperature of 10C (50F) to operate efficiently. If the outside temperature is any lower, the freezer will struggle to keep your food chilled it may even start to defrost. If it does break down, the appliance may not be covered by the guarantee.

o

We've had our 25+ yo chest freezer in our garage for over 13 yrs now. We live in a northern climate with below freezing temps for much of the winter. I have no idea what our energy consumption is with this set-up, but we have no problems with performance.

o

Joanna,

There is a problem with new units in below freezing conditions. I've been told by a salesman that it has to do with the new refrigerants used because of EPA regulations. If I have this correct, the new refrigerants liquify at higher temperatures, so the compressor doesn't work at temperatures below freezing. We're trying to replace a 50 plus year old freezer that is in our garage and having a problem. We may end up having to keep it, until it dies. There is one freezer, called a Gorilla that is supposed to work in unheated conditions. It's unfortunately out of our price range.

Petro

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here