Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie1973_gw

Please recommend a 48" range for me!

julie1973
9 years ago

Hi. I am overwhelmed with all the info on ranges and need to narrow down to one or two to look at. I am putting in a new kitchen this fall. I am set on wanting the subzero pro 48 fridge with glass door. I just love it. I had assumed I'd get the wolf range because of there promo where you save by buying both, but after reading much about ranges and appliance packages here I am thinking I should look further. I would prefer to not spend more than the wolf. Here's my situation: I am a home cook for a family of 4. I cook just about every day. Mostly saut�ing, frying, roasting. Not much baking - maybe the occasional cupcakes. Would love to be able to broil steaks in the winter. We have natural gas. I definitely want 48" with 6 burners and a griddle. I don't have a preference between open versus sealed burners - prefer whichever cleans up easier. Gas versus duel fuel - not sure. As I said l like to broil steak which makes me think all gas due to infrared broiler, but open to duel fuel as well for self cleaning. So - what do you all recommend for me? Thanks so much!!

Comments (5)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I would recommend the Capital Culinarian, model CGSR484G2. This was my favorite when I tested out pro style gas ranges and I definitely thought it was superior to the Wolf. Your preferences may vary so you should try and test drive the ranges you're interested in if possible. This is an all-gas, self cleaning range. The model number I posted is for the 6 burner and griddle configuration. It has 23K BTU open burners. It has convection, infrared broiling, and a motorized rotisserie in the oven.

IMO, you just can't beat open burners for sheer performance. Some will try to tell you otherwise, but try out a range with them and come to your own conclusion.

They also have a dual fuel model called the Connoisseurian. Obviously prices will vary but these ranges should come in below the comparable AG and DF Wolf ranges.

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

Does it have to be a range? Can you do a range top or cook top and then separate wall ovens? If so then you can get what you want for a cooking surface and maybe save a bit on the wall oven, it is just another option to consider.

If you are stuck with a range because of size limitation of your room I don't have a specific recommendation.

If you can do a range top I would also consider the BlueStar stuff in addition to the CC (Capital Culinarian) lines. We have a 36" BS range top and we love it. Clean up is super easy with the cast iron top and grates and now that we went to the open burners I will never go back to a sealed system again.

Phil

• julie1973
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks hvtech42 and Phil!

Hvtech - I will definitely check out the CC. It sounds like the best of both worlds for me. I was thinking of looking at the bluestar ranges as well. I was a bit hesitant about bluestar after reading complaints here about the broiler being too small and the knobs getting hot.

Phil - yes, I prefer a range due to space and layout of the kitchen. And also because I like to broil steaks and prefer that be done under the range hood ventilation.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Bluestar won't self clean. Plus CC seemed to have better overall build quality when I saw the ranges in person. Not all of the CC models will self clean either so make sure you buy the right one if you want that feature.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 12:05

• Lauraeds
    9 years ago

Hey julie1973 â¦your description sounds pretty much like my life too! I might do a bit more baking, but the rest is just right!

We just finished a big renovation, and I installed a 48" GE Monogram 6 burner/griddle dual fuel. I am so, so happy with it.

I'd not had gas before, and I LOVE it! I've only put 2 burners to work at one time right now (we tend to grill outside a bit during the summer!), but the control is great. The clean up has been super easy thus far. I love the ovens - we mostly use the smaller one, but I've used the big one a few times. I love having the options.

Functionally, it seems to work great. Aesthetically, it makes me smile. There wasn't a lot of information or reviews on it, so I just crossed my fingers. So glad it all worked out!

Below is a link to our kitchen thread. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage to Kitchen Reveal