Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dadofmeeko

white film on utensils comming out of dishwasher

dadofmeeko
13 years ago

We have a Miele optima dishwasher, which we love, but just in the past few weeks our nylon and silicone utensils have been comming out with a hazy white film on them. Anyone have an idea what is going on? We have had the dishwasher for about a year.

Comments (6)

• rcvt
    13 years ago

I have the same problem with my Bosch DW. I've tried different detergents, different amounts of different detergents, adding vinegar to the wash water, rinsing dishes well before turning the machine on, not rinsing dishes well before turning the machine on, and trying different settings for length of cycles. (BTW, my Bosch does a very poor job overall at cleaning. Others her adore their Boschs.)

So many variables!

Yes, we have very hard water. But we've always had this water. My previous DW, a Sears Kenmore Ultra Wash, never left any film on anything, and everything came out clean. Too bad it died and we thought we'd upgrade. :(

I hope someone here has some insights. My silicone spatulas look like they're been dipped in confectioner's sugar. So do some of my pots!

rc
    in
    VT

• amcook
    13 years ago

Two things I'd say you should try. Less detergent and rinse aid. If you are not using rinse aid, you should try that since it helps to prevent beading and speed drying which can help especially with hard water conditions. Also, newer (energy efficient) dishwashers can clean with less detergent and new detergents are more concentrated so you should cut down the amount of detergent you use with the newer dishwasher. I use less than half the amount of detergent with my new dishwasher compared to my 10yr old maytag before and the dishes come out just as clean. This can also prevent etching of glass and detergent buildup inside the dishwasher.

• jakvis
    13 years ago

As of July 1, 2010 phosphates had to be removed from D/W detergent so the detergent manufacturers started removing the phosphates last January. What used to work for you before now leaves a white film on the dishes along with with specks. All my customers are complaining about the washability of their dishwashers, All Brands. So far their are 2 things I've been able to figure out. The Finish soft tabs I think they call Quantum seem to work better than most others. Also Glass Magic has about 12 % phosphate in it and will work as a booster for regular powders.

• apalmieri
    13 years ago

I had that happen with one dishwasher and found out that it was not installed properly and the sprayer on the bottom was not spinning. A simple washer that wasn't put on the spinner shaft ruined a whole set of glasses.

• dadoes
    13 years ago

There are many potential causes of the OP's problem. and more than one factor could be involved.

Confirming/eliminating machine malfunctions or plumbing trouble -- insufficient fill, clogged pump or spray arms, detergent dispenser not opening, rinse aid gone empty or dispenser not working, backflow through the drain -- one part of the diagnosis.

Detergent formulations are changing, so the same brand/variety bought three or four weeks ago may be different now, possibly requiring a larger dose to get the same performance if it has gone phosphate-free, particularly if hard water conditions are involved.

I've confirmed that I get a white film on plastics, particularly noticeable on dark blue Pyrex bowl covers, if the detergent dose is too low.