Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbwestfall_gw

Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?

mbwestfall
9 years ago

I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our remodel because I simply love the way it looks. I also know it's handmade in France and supposedly built like a tank. Lacanche has an enthusiastic cult following on this site too.

But I am worried that it is just another (very expensive) pretty face? I have googled the general reviews online and the complainers have some concerning complaints:

uneven cooking temps in oven
knobs/doors get very hot to touch
a few cheap components that cause failure like a light door spring that is not heavy enough for the door
ill fitting oven doors
horrendously expensive replacement parts
service difficulties
cleaning difficulties
makes the kitchen blazing hot

So, hmm. Does it cook well? Splurge-worthy well? Or is it mainly a design element in the kitchen that just cooks ok? I am not a gourmet chef but I do cook a lot for my family. I don't want to curse the hot knobs or unevenly cooked food at every meal.

Lacanche owners please let me know about functionality/ease of use, both good and bad. I am totally sold on the beauty of the design.

Comments (112)

• kitchengirl
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a side view of the British Racing Green Cluny.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Don't forget Orchidluvr's to die for kitchen complete with BRG stove.

BTW - I think it is a pretty good indication of what the green would look like in real life. Having seen a sample, it is not as spritely a green as some of the photos would lead you to believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: orchidluvr's kitchen

This post was edited by onedogedie on Thu, Jan 22, 15 at 16:17

• kitchengirl
    9 years ago

orchidluvr:
    Are you out there? Another Lacanche thread poster from 10 years ago!

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

It's wonderful to see your (old) kitchen, Kitchengirl ! It's a new one to me. I've only been dreaming of kitchens (online) since mid-2009. In real life I've been needing a kitchen since 1997. This is my year to have a finished kitchen. In that vein, as the end approached on my 18 year wait (how is that possible?) I realized that maybe that old O'Keefe & Merritt I've been waiting to use for the last 10 years was an itch that had passed and that furthermore something brand, spanking new was the answer. Lacanche moved me. I am expecting one in a couple of months!

• kitchengirl
    9 years ago

Thank you, onedogedie. I fully expected to post photos of our completed kitchen in 2005, but never did, as my husband did not finish the range hood and trim until a month before this photo was shot with our house about to go on the market… Annoying hobbyist woodworkers! With posters from the past visiting this thread, I took this opportunity!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Kitchengirl, Your old BRG Lacanche and kitchen was beautiful! The BRG really does seem like it would go with a lot of different styles and colored kitchens. I also found your comments about the oven size of the Cluny (which I'm expecting in April) very interesting. I will need to invest in some more oven mitts and a new roasting pan!

Onedogedie, Congratulations on your Lacanche and new kitchen! Wow,
    you are a patient! Which one did you order?

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

I am getting the Savigny in Griotte. Much dithering over color. Though I had been planning on a kitchen with blue painted cabinets, a blue stove ... didn't feel right. In theory wanted orange, but maybe it wasn't the right orange? So went with my gut, and with what I thought would be inoffensive to people in the future. Later I felt reassured to see the color matched the red handle on my mother's old rolling pin.

• kitchengirl
    9 years ago

Cori4137, thanks very much. I think the darker colors, like the BRG, benefit from a kitchen or locale with abundant natural light to show them off. Enjoy your new Cluny!!

Onedogedie: I dithered a good bit, myself… considered the Provence yellow and Portuguese blue, in addition to BRG. Your choice of Griotte is a classic.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Onedogedie, Griotte is a beautiful color! It was also on my short list. Enjoy it!

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

kitchengirl - love your kitchen and range. you must miss it. hopefully you have something just as lovely now.

Onedogedie: Griotte is gorgeous and congrats on making your decision and choosing a Lacanche! It'll look great with your blue cabinets. We have red accents with our cream color cabinets and french blue lacanche and are very happy with the combination.

Trinkette. You made a range decision! That's excellent progress! :) I just love the size and configuration of the Volnay. Green...blue...green...blue.....We put in a light blue/gray subway backsplash to go with our French Blue which looks lovely. How will your vision go? Let us know!

Cori, The agony of choosing! I dithered for weeks over a gas versus electric stove (final decision: electric, probably would have been happy either way) and more weeks over other features and now they are a distant memory. I just love what I have. I think the backsplash was the hardest decision in teh kitchen refresh but glad that's over and it looks lovely. Every time I look a color up on frenchranges.com (Terra Cotta) I think, wow is that beautiful! I would have one of each if I could.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Kitchengirl, thank you for sharing photos of your old, BRG Lacanche. So classic and elegant! OMG, you must have died when your new Cluny crashed face-first to the ground. Yikes! I like seeing how your BRG works with the dark countertop, lighter backsplash, and patterned backsplash behind the range.

Interestingly, behind my range, I’ve JUST decided to use a rectangle of hand-painted tiles from Barcelona that my mother must have purchased more than 50 years ago and never used. I’ve been carting the crated rectangle of tiles around for more than 25 years now, and decided to finally give the tiles a forever home. They depict a classic, multi-colored still-life: footed bowl of fruit and flowers on a white background with a border around the scene. Happily, the tiles work beautifully with all the Lacanche colors, even the more muted colors. The white background, however, is impacting my cabinet color choice; I was going with more of a cream which I think I'll need to swap out for something else.

Anyway, if I go dark with the range, the almost-black appearance is exactly the kind of look I’m thinking about. The Lacanche BRG sample, along with French Blue, should arrive today or tomorrow. : )

And, I had to laugh. Reading your post, Kitchengirl, as a confirmed klutz, I ALWAYS burn myself in the kitchen (I’ve even cut-off a finger tip - but, that’s another story, lol)! As much as I adore the Cluny, I actually suspected that my proclivity to burn skin might come into play with the smaller ovens. In the end, the klutz-factor was one key reason I finally decided to opt for a larger-sized oven. As others have mentioned, wanting not to retire a couple of favorite, large roasting pans was another key reason.

chef-marty, your post had me revisit Marron Glace and Frangipane. I never tire of either delicious color. And, who couldn’t love your divine kitchen? So now, both are still contenders. Thanks! - eye roll -

onedogedie, thank you for posting the link to Orchidluvr’s stunning kitchen! It is VERY close to what I have in mind, right down to the gorgeous, dark countertops. And, your Savigny in Griotte sounds heavenly. I can’t WAIT to see photos … please post once you have your new range! I love the fact that the color matches the red on your mother’s rolling pin. I’d say it’s meant to be, for sure.

Cori, I agree with your thinking about natural light showing-off the darker colors. And, that is part of my dilemma. although we have an open floor plan with tons of light from floor-to-ceiling windows in an adjacent room, the prep area of the kitchen is not near any natural light. I may add skylights, however. Also, I appreciate hearing your impressions of your BRG Agas. I’m chuckling over your husband’s cars-only BRG rule!

ChristyMcK, yes, as you know, I’ve followed your decision-making process from the beginning. We’ve had a lot of similar thoughts regarding all this. Goes without saying that your posts on the various threads have been very helpful. And, precisely because I can add another electric oven in the wall, as you did, I stuck with the single gas oven in the Lacanche, which I really wanted, along with a warming cabinet.

Once I decided on those two elements, gas oven and warming cabinet, adding a second, electric, oven, would’ve made for a very large range - which would’ve been okay in itself, if it stopped there. However, cost and complications of the jumbo hood and fan required for such a range, as well as the “overbuild” factor for where we live, the small size of our family, and the option to take the range with us, should we ever decide to downsize, ultimately killed the idea of the bigger range for me.

kitchendetective, I’d seen one or two photos of Padma’s BRG Lacanche late last year. I scoured the internet for more, but to no avail! Thanks for reminding me about her range.

Sorry for the long post. Everyone here is so helpful, I want to respond in kind to each of you. Thanks, again, everyone!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

For those of you who purchased the Vougeot or Volnay or Savigny, or another asymmetrical model, how did you decide which side you wanted the convection oven on?

• kitchengirl
    9 years ago

trinkette,
    I can't think of a better backsplash for your new range than those from your mom's travels! I brought back two Tunisian marble mosaics to use in my future kitchen (building a home in central Iowa), and they were hard-won! A circular large rooster and a smaller footed bowl of pears, both with white marble backgrounds. I've got to work them into our kitchen design... Lots of searching and bargaining… what fun it was!

Thanks for picking up on the utter angst of my range tipping over. WOW -- it happened faster than one can blink: dead weight off-balance and over it went (I think right after I lifted the traditional plate up…). Somehow, the delivery guys did not put the range completely on the pallet, so that it tipped forward when I began unpacking the range… ;-(

ChristyMcK: thanks for your kind compliment; 10 years down the road, that kitchen holds a lot of memories for me!

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

kitchengirl and trinkette,

I hope you will post photos of your backslashes when you get them up. They sound amazing! I didn't have the foresight to bring tiles back with me from our travels. I'm kicking myself now. I looked on line when we first started building our house for tiles like I saw while we were there, but I can't find anything that even comes close to the lovely ones we saw in person.

• aliris19
    9 years ago

That omelette may have looked ridiculous but I bet it tasted quite yummy! What on earth could have caused it to come out so poorly??!

I agree with the splurge-on-range theory. My splurge was a Capital, which wins no (comparative) awards for beauty but like the omelette, is better tasting than looking.

I hope it makes you smile!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

And another, what is the difference between the French style knobs and the US imported style knobs? Have you photos?

• Butternut
    9 years ago

Chiming in to say that I'm very tempted to get a Chambertin or a Chassagne with a Classique top and the induction burners coming out in the Spring.

Does anyone put filler to increase the size of the range cut out to a standard American size? So like 2.25 inches on either side to allow for a 48" range in the space of the 43.5 inch Chambertin?

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

Kitchendetective: We got the Volnay instead of the reverse option because we don't have cabinetry next to the warming cupboard and with the reverse we would have. Also because the range is on the corner of a through way, I didn't want to use the backspacer because the range would have stuck out more. By getting the Volnay we didn't have to worry about the side opening door bumping the cabinetry and could not worry about putting the range flush against the back wall. I didn't know there were French and US knobs. I just got the default that come with the (US) range and love them.

Butternut: I didn't know about the induction. It'll be a great addition to their portforlio since there are some very passionate induction fans who want ranges. We aren't filling in the sides, but I am getting aside stainless filet piece since there is no cabinetry to the left of the range and there is about a 3" area of range underparts that show. Lacanche recommended someone for this who just happens to be in my neighborhood. I think you are looking at custom cabinet work for that mod.

Trinkette: I think we ended up having similar rationale for the Volnay. I am really happy with the size of the cooktop. It works great for cooking multiple dishes simultaneously and taking things in and out of the oven at the same time. I too thought about a bigger range - didn't think about the ventilation though. Mostly just that I didn't think I needed the extra cooktop space and that it wasn't worth what I'd have to give up in counter top space.

I love that you are incorporating your mom's tiles you've been lugging around for years. That's such a personal touch and will really make the kitchen yours. Have you decided on your 2nd oven? For what it's worth, I like the 24" size we have. The steam capabilities are nice, but I haven't really leveraged them all that much (it does make a mean roast chick). I think one reason people just rave about the steam oven is the size. When paired with a 36" range/oven that takes a lot of time to heat up, the 24" heat up time is so much faster and so they end up using it alot more. Since the Lacanche oven is small too and heats up quickly and is a little bigger than the 24", I find I use it as my default.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Cori and ChrsityMcK, it is an interesting thing about my mother's Spanish tiles; left to my own devices, I doubt I'd choose to go that route. Most likely, I'd be looking to incorporate a backsplash consisting more of pattern, rather than painted design. Or, I'd look at some of the gorgeous iridescent tiles available these days. Still, it seems like using my mom's tiles is the right thing to do, and I like the challenge of making them work. I'm hoping, this turns out to be one of those serendipitous decisions that ends-up "making" the space.

Regarding an additional wall oven, like you ChristyMcK, I'd prefer a smaller size. And, one key reason for having the second oven would be to have a really good broiler, which I can't have with the Lacanche gas oven paired with warming cabinet. Right now, I have a Breville Smartoven that I can broil under when I don't use my current DCS wall oven, however, as much as I like this little countertop appliance, I'm not over the moon with it's broiler performance (I usually go to the DCS which will not be around after the Lacanche is installed). So, I'm on the hunt for a great wall oven with broiler. I doubt I'd use steam much, so, that's not on the "must have" list. However, when all is said and done, the steam function may just happen to come-with whatever wall oven I end-up purchasing.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

Trinkette: There's something special to me about moms and kitchens. My mom is an excellent baker and expert pie maker and I have such good memories of being in the kitchen with her, and our annual ongoing canning festival during which we can loads of peaches and pears and other things and drink martinis. My mom helped me repaint our kitchen inside and out last summer. She loves a good project and boy was it a full on project. She was with me sanding the inside and outside cabinets, cleaning over 100 pieces of hardware, painting at 1 in the morning. Honoring the people that are so near and dear to us like you are doing with your mom's tiles is just wonderful IMHO and will make the kitchen YOUR kitchen.

If I'm not mistaken, the only steam oven that goes above 475F is the new Gaggenau which I believe has a broiler and goes to 550F. It's ridiculously priced at ~$8k. We got the prior Gagg model more than 1/2 off on ebay with full 5-year warranty - it doesn't have a broiler but the electronic oven in our Lacanche does. For your set up, a small 2nd oven with a broiler makes a lot of sense. Seems like that shouldn't be too hard to find. One thing I do like about the Gagg is its electronic precision. With the Lacanche, the rotating knobs are a little less precise. Occasionally I like the precision of knowing I'm at 370F for example, or as close as I can get to it and the electronic display on our Gagg is a nice compliment to the Lacanche in that way. There are lots of choice with that feature.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Thanks for your answer. If I use an asymmetric model, I believe it will be where the door opening feature can be on either side. How far does it swing, in degrees, to the maximum opening? I was thinking more in terms of whether it matters if one is right or left handed and where the warming oven is relative to where one will be serving. I would like to have an induction module, but in order to have the room for the size required the range would have to be in a downstairs room. My husband wants the second kitchen in an upstairs game room area, which would limit me to a model that does not accommodate an induction module, at least as that option will be offered so far. In that case, it would probably be a Cluny or Cormatin. I had hoped for either a warming oven or an upright convection oven, though. So, round and round we go.
    You are right about moms and kitchens. My mother passed away many years ago and I still get teary reading through her thousands of handwritten recipes.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

I'm overseas right now but will check how many degrees the door opens when I get home. I inherited my grandmother's Farm Journal cookbooks and it's like I get a little bit of her back every time I open them.

• chef-marty
    9 years ago

kitchen detective:

I am right handed and when I open the door to my warming cabinet, I like using my right hand and leaning to my right to peer in so the warming cabinet is on the right and the oven on the left. The oven's door just drops down so that did not matter. I am happy with my choice.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Thank you CMcK and Chef. So, here is my thought process, for the moment:
    If the second kitchen goes upstairs:
    Cluny, Cormatin, or Vougeot (not sure whether degrees matter or not, will look after C gets back.) Probably Burgundy.
    If the second kitchen goes downstairs:
    Savigny with induction. Probably Portuguese Blue, although Coral Blue and Aubergine still beckon. There was a poster years ago, Twinklestars, who promised a photo of her Aubergine Lacanche. She seems to have disappeared from the forum before the installation, though.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

ChristyMcK and kitchendetective, the recipes I've collected over the years that once belonged to my mother and grandmother, as well as other relatives, friends, and mothers of friends, are my most prized possessions.

kitchen detective, I've seen a sample, and Aubergine is gorgeous. Moreover, somehow, it seems to go with everything.

• huruta
    9 years ago

I posted our kitchen reveal over on the Kitchens forum and since it includes our Lacanche, I thought I'd let you all know here. I'm attaching one photo which will give you a link to my ideabook (below the photo) that has more pics. Happy viewing!

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · More Info

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and I love the color of your Lacanche! I can't wait for mine to arrive and be installed. Now, I'm trying to decide if I need an additional oven. I was originally considering just a basic single 30" wall oven. But, I've been reading a lot about steam ovens, so I'm undecided again.

• huruta
    9 years ago

Hi Corie, Thanks! People are really passionate about their steam ovens and I was persuaded to get one. Mostly, I'm just happy to have a second oven. The steam oven does make killer roast chicken but I don't otherwise use the steam that much. Part of my reasoning for a steam oven was that the dumb waiter we were placing our second oven in could really only handle a 24" oven and so if I was going to get that size, I figured I might as well get steam. I wouldn't get a 30" steam oven (I'm not sure they even come in that size) so perhaps think about whether you'd rather than a 30" oven or a 24" steam oven? Our old 1956 GE oven had the same size oven as in the Volnay and so I was convinced based on my experience with the GE that I didn't need a 30" oven for our purposes. A lot of the people I see who love their steam oven have 36" ranges and a 36" oven takes a LONG time to heat up and so I think part of the love is actually for the smaller size, but that's just me speculating.

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    9 years ago

Thanks for your perspective on the steam oven. I'm getting the Cluny so the ovens are on the small size. I know that for everyday use the oven size will not be an issue for me, I have used smaller ovens in the past. But, I worry about those few times of the year when oven space is at a premium. Part of me knows it is crazy to worry about it, the grill would always work if it became necessary. But, I know I just need to get this kitchen, which I plan to live in for the rest of my life, absolutely right. I do think I would want a 30" single wall oven so I can just stick the turkey in it and use the Cluny for everything else. So I guess that rules out the steam oven.

• andrea345
    9 years ago

boy, I've had the Cluny for years and have served turkey for 20 out of that oven. It's got its own roasting pan which fits just perfectly. But if you have the space for a wall oven, go for it. We just got a small cubby for a dual purpose microwave (i.e., toaster/convection/microwave) for those times when we wanted to microwave. We really haven't run into an oven collision yet.

• jloleary
    9 years ago

I have the Cluny and have not had a problem with the oven size. It does mean thought that we frequently make use of both ovens. I have the le creuset goose pot (largest dutch oven that they make) that fits into the oven when it is on the lowest rack and also have a large roaster that I use to roast my once a year turkey. I believe I've had up to a 24 pound turkey - oven worked beautifully and turkey was cooked perfectly.

• joeboldt
    9 years ago

We've had our cluny, since 2006. We used to roast a whole turkey in the oven, up to 20lbs. It was a tad awkward, but doable. Three years ago we started deconstructing the turkey. Much easier to deal with and, frankly, much better! No tenting, no over/under cooked pieces, just yummy turkey. The turkey is the biggest thing we make and then only once or twice a year. It would seem odd to me to use up kitchen space for something you only need twice a year.

• huruta
    9 years ago

If I had a Cluny, I wouldn't get another oven. I use two ovens ~twice a week which is enough to make me feel justified having a second oven, but I don't think I'd every use 3 ovens. There might be a bit of a learning curve using the small ovens but I bet once the adjustment is made, you'll be very happy with the two you get with the cluny and could fit whatever it is you'd want to cook in them.

• andrea345
    9 years ago

Yeah, I was all about that 2nd oven for the Cluny. Our kitchen is teensy, so 40" wide, 2 ovens... no brainer.

• trinkette1
    9 years ago

Beautiful, huruta! Thank you for sharing the photo of your gorgeous Lacanche.

• huruta
    9 years ago

I'm not sure I'll ever get to a comprehensive review so here are some current thoughts about our Lacanche Volnay. I've discovered convection! We can roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli and more in 25 minutes or less. I didn't know the Lancanche oven could be so speedy. I joke with my husband that we bought a speed oven we didn't even know about. When I get home from work at 6pm, roast veggies are coming out of the oven at 6:35pm. This is awesome.

The other thing that surprises me constantly is just how fast food cooks on the cooktop. I think the heat transfer is just so much faster than all those crappy rental kitchens we had. A few leaps of faith I took with this range was that the burners would cook food evenly since they aren't a star shaped pattern and that an 18k burner would be sufficient (passing up the blue star 22k and 25k). I am SO happy on both of these counts. We often have trout pan sauteed in butter/olive oil and pan fried chicken and I always use the 10k burner and it browns so perfectly evenly and beautifully. It makes me so happy! My old electric range struggled to say the least. I'm surprised at how infrequently I use the 18k burner. I'll have 3-4 burners going but the last one I go for is the 18k - it's just so friggin' hot! When I was range shopping there seemed to be so much emphasis put on high BTUs. I read others preferred the 10k on the Lacanche for daily cooking but I just had a hard time believing it - it seem so small in terms of BTUs and we all cook differently but the 10k burners are perfect for our everyday cooking. Nothing like experience!

I love that the whole cooktop is a single piece of stainless steel and that the grates can just be picked up and moved off the range - it makes cleaning it so easy!

Anyway, that's all for now. Happy cooking!

• andrea345
    9 years ago

To add to that (I've got a Cluny), we keep the griddle on the two 11K burner side all the time. We'll occasionally pull out the French top, but we live with the griddle. Love the accessories as it adds customization to the range.

• lammle
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Big hellos to everyone here!

I've also been lurking a while... And not just here, pretty much anywhere I can find any info worth its salt (sorry) about all things Lacanche. You guys really seem to know your stuff!

We're building a house and still working with architect on plans. He said to start planning/doing homework for range et. al. in kitchen, so I did and found out a few things I never would've guessed about Lacanche, plus some invaluable insight into myself as a cook. Discovered:

1. Lancanche isn't as nearly as expensive as LaCornue, but appears to be the better range. This is especially true when considering the vital bang-for-the-buck factor.

2. Lacanche is not just "kitchen jewelry", it is actually a serious, no-nonsense straightforward, yet customizable workhorse. Who knew?

3. I'm a no-nonsense cook... maybe even a bit of a cooking luddite. Not extremely so, as in I want a wood burning number, more like I just don't like all this current, electronic tech stuff present and getting in the way of the luscious experience of preparing food. Even when I'm in a hurry, I simply cook.

A month ago, Lacanche was not even on my list of potential kitchen range partners, but now it's steadily beating out the competition. And it looks so lovely doing that too!

One question: I'm having a hard time understanding the vertical convection oven concept. Can anyone help me with this one?

Looking forward to enlightenment-- thanks!

• huruta
    8 years ago

lammle,

Welcome! Here are just a few thoughts on your thoughts.

1. I didn't look at he LaCornue that closely. I couldn't embrace its look and I really wanted small ovens which just cook everything so much faster in my experience.

2. It is absolutely a serious, no-nonsense, customizable workhorse. This + its gorgeous look I think really sets it apart.

3. Not sure I'm a cooking luddite but I like to keep my kitchen appliances simple and high quality. While I do like that my second oven (Gagg combi-steam) has digital temps for when I want to be very precise, my default oven is the Lacanche. I turn it on and go. Though the Gagg has a pretty simple interface, sometimes it just beeps too much for my liking. The Lacanche NEVER beeps and I love that about it!

4. We don't have a vertical convection oven but we do have a vertical warming cupboard. I think it just packs it a second oven without having to expand your cooktop space by much. Our 5-burner Lacanche Volnay in our medium sized galley kitchen is plenty big.

The best of luck with your decision. If we can be of help, let us know!

• lammle
    8 years ago

Wow huruta, Thanks!

I was seriously chewing on the idea of going with the very arrangement you've got: Lacanche, plus Gagg steam/combi... on the adjacent wall, for baking and all the other wonderful things it seems one can easily pull off with a high quality steam oven, especially at altitude. Don't like that beeping thing, but it's plumbed--no trays to deal with. Sometimes, you just have to love despite a blemish or two. Sounds like you've made peace with it, so it's tolerable, right?

Speaking of blemishes: LaCornue and all that blingyness. Of course, this comes down to personal taste, but I agree--- Lacanche wins this one with its refined, understated elegance.

I wouldn't say I'm a purist cooking luddite, but I'm definitely a stickler for high quality, straightforward equipment that's reliable and will work as hard as I do. We do feed a mob at times and that warming cupboard had me at hello. Not just for events/holidays and warming needs either. I can think of many uses for that... A feature that's actually a feature!

Being american, I'm just not used to a vertical oven orientation and how that affect the cooking/baking process. I hope someone here does...

Thanks-- very much appreciated!

• lammle
    8 years ago

Okay wise ones... in addition to trying to wrap my brain around the whole vertical oven idea, I have to ask about a couple of other factors:

1. The flexibility to customize the range top is a wonderful thing, but raises a whole slew of questions. Reading through here makes me wonder if someone like me, who lives at high altitude, should opt for the double 15K BTU set or the double 11Ks? It seems like adjusting the 15Ks down would calm them effectively down to the 11K level, while still permitting more fire power when needed-- sometimes very much needed at 8000 FT!

2. I also love to simmer, sauce, reduce and ganaches are a starting point for lots of things around our place, so the french top/traditional sounds like a great option too. It seems like the plancha would be wonderful for fajitas, searing and oh-so many other things, but for a long, slow and low, barely there simmer, it seems like way too much heat. Does the plancha get low enough? I do use copper pans for reductions and sauces and the like and as I'm sure you all know, they're not fans of super high heat

3. Then there's the option of that big 18K bad boy burner... Too much "Bubba power" here or just right to whip up a massive stir fry and get a super fast boil? Again, high altitude is a factor for me.

Thoughts anyone?

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    8 years ago

I would suggest you give the Lacanche people a call in either New York or Seattle. I live in Michigan and I worked with Elisa in their New York office. She asked me about my families cooking style and from there was able to help me configure the best BTU for me.

I chose extra 11,000 BTU's with a portable French Plate. I may someday add additional accessories like the portable grill, but for now I'm using my Lodge grill/griddle on the Lacanche. For my family, the extra burners were more important than having a dedicated feature that wasn't flexible.

We moved into our new house yesterday, so I haven't experienced everything the Lacanche will do yet. But, it is a solid piece of equipment and I know I will enjoy many, many years of cooking with it. And it is certainly a beauty! Everyone who comes in to the house from workmen to friends are just blown away when they see it.

• huruta
    8 years ago

lammle,

I'm not sure how altitude affects BTU power, but I think the reason I use the 11k burners over the 15 regularly is because I want the lower range of temps to slow down/moderate my cooking. The 15k just doesn't go as low. I use the 5k for sauces and stocks that I want just a bubble from and it works great. The 11k burners are a little too much heat at their lowest setting for low, low simmering. I did get a diffuser but actually haven't had any need to use it. We are in Seattle so I worked with Victoria in LA and the office which is near Seattle and they were incredibly helpful. I would also recommend reaching out to them to discuss your cooking style and context and figure out which configuration works best for you.

Re: Gagg/Combi, I would say yes, I've come to accept the beeps. It gets easier as I optimize its use. We made short ribs recently that were out of this world delicious (steam 80%, 270F, 2 hrs then finished on grill w/Korean glaze) which softens the beeping blow. It's interface is the simplest I found, but I still have the symbol guide handy and use it often.

I do love the combination of the Gagg with the Volnay. It serves all our cooking needs beautifully. If I had to do it all over again, I would do the exact same thing.

• huruta
    8 years ago

Corie, Congrats on moving into your house! You must be thrilled. May you have many happy years in your new home and cooking on your Lacanche.

• equivalent92
    7 years ago

Can anyone respond more directly to mbwestfall's post (at the top of this thread 7/23/14) about functionality and performance concerns. It's clear that the design, beauty and features of the lacanche are exceptional but all the discussion about color and design is secondary to my interest right now. We are looking at the Rully with 4 burners. Here's what mbwestall wanted to hear more about as doni (I'm cutting and pasting part of the post).

"I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our remodel because I simply love the way it looks. I also know it's handmade in France and supposedly built like a tank. Lacanche has an enthusiastic cult following on this site too.

But I am worried that it is just another (very expensive) pretty face? I have googled the general reviews online and the complainers have some concerning complaints:

uneven cooking temps in oven
    knobs/doors get very hot to touch
    a few cheap components that cause failure like a light door spring that is not heavy enough for the door
    ill fitting oven doors
    horrendously expensive replacement parts
    service difficulties
    cleaning difficulties
    makes the kitchen blazing hot

So, hmm. Does it cook well? Splurge-worthy well? Or is it mainly a design element in the kitchen that just cooks ok? ."

lacanche owners and users any responses to your experience with these concerns appreciated !!!!

• K Liu
    7 years ago

We've been living with our Lacanche for 6 months now and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I don't have the long term feedback you might want, but I've had zero issues with it. I've found the oven to work very well and I don't feel like anything gets hotter than any other system I've ever used.

Here she is (I've shared before, but...)

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14291885_10210768242187144_8961735066892782193_n.jpg?oh=33b367d0f76eab5e5d83c9b021ac2e7e&oe=5922B476

• PRO
    By Design
    7 years ago

As a newbie here I appreciate all the feedback on lacanche. After weeks of research and wrestling over the range /oven decision for our kitchen remodel, I'm leaning toward the Saulieu and a Miele steam-combi wall oven. I've seen both 'in action' and they really seem to deliver. We entertain quite a bit and I cook and bake all the time so these seem to be sound choices

• PRO
    Deck The Halls
    7 years ago

I have been using my Lacanche Cluny 1400 for just over a year and 1/2 and I love it! I can't imagine owning another range brand. I have both a gas and an electric oven as well as a warming cabinet. Both ovens cook very true to temperature.

I originally considered adding a wall oven for over flow purposes, like holidays and when we entertained large groups. But, after using the range for several major holidays and for events where I've fed over 30 people, I am very happy with the configuration I have and I don't think that I would need the extra wall oven.

The doors and the knobs can get hot but it seems to only be when I use the high temperatures or the broil on the electric oven for long periods of time or when I've got the two ovens and most of the seven burners going at the same time.

I have not had any issues with the door springs nor have I thought any of the components on my Lacanche were cheap. The range is solid and built to last. I did need service for one ignitor switch last year. It was quickly taken care of by Lacanche under warrantee. So, I've had no service issues thus far and I can't speak for the cost of the parts. However, I figured this into my decision to purchase, I assume the parts would be expensive because this range will last. Everyone I've worked with at Lacanche has been extremely professional and a delight to work with on all matters.

The ovens don't have a clean cycle on them, so they must be manually cleaned. I've not found this to be an issue. I try to clean them shortly after I use them though. Cleaning the range top is easy as well. Unless someone fries something, I can usually spot clean it after use most days. I do a through cleaning about once a week where I remove all the grates and soak them and wipe the entire surface down.

My range can get a bit warm when I'm doing a lot of cooking in both the ovens and on the stove top, but again it's not been an issue. No one, including my family who is frequently in the kitchen with me, has ever complained that my kitchen is hot. It's usually just me that notices any difference since I'm right up next to the range.

If you are looking for more information I would recommend that you search threads Lacanche Part 1, etc. If I remember correctly there are well over 40 of these threads. And almost all with positive reviews from very satisfied, long time owners.

Good luck!

• huruta
    7 years ago

Dezieu,

We went with a Volnay + Gagg combi steam oven and I've been happy with the choice. Though I love the Volnay, I like the Gagg combi-steam oven. Nothing wrong with it other than it beeps at me too much. I do like the precision I can get with the Gagg steam oven with 100, 80, 60, 30 or 0% steam and 5 degree increments in temperature - this is not possible with the Volnay. However I'm not sure I'd miss it if I didn't have it. I do use both at least a few times a week. We got an electric oven with gas cooktop and I LOVE the oven.

To equivalent92 in response:

uneven cooking temps in oven - maybe a touch hotter in the back than the front, but not sure if this is due to me opening door or truly cooler in front

knobs/doors get very hot to touch - this has not been a problem for me.

a few cheap components that cause failure like a light door spring that is not heavy enough for the door - I had my door spring replaced under warranty due to creaking. I think this was an error that they've corrected.

ill fitting oven doors - no problems here.

horrendously expensive replacement parts - I've had the range 2.5 years and haven't replaced anything. I doubt parts are cheap - they are handmade in France.
    service difficulties - haven't had any.

cleaning difficulties - haven't had any. cleans up easily and nicely.

makes the kitchen blazing hot - it does warm the kitchen. We live in Seattle where it's hardly ever super hot so this has never been a problem. If I lived in Texas without a/c or poor a/c I would not get this range. Personally I like that it warms up the kitchen when I'm cooking. We grill a LOT in summer so maybe I haven't noticed this problem because of this.

I've been very happy with this range. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

• HeatherInOR
    7 years ago

Corie, I'm so happy to read you've been content with just the Cluny ovens! I will not be adding a wall oven and have had a nagging wonder if I'm making the right choice. I truly think the 1400 will serve all my needs. Thanks for posting such valuable insight on the Lacanche boards.

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs