Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarkston

Recommendations for Water Filter

cbarkston
11 years ago

Anyone have recommendations on whole house filters and drinking water purifiers at the kitchen sink??

Thanks in advance

Rosewest

Comments (24)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Our plumber installed an Aqua Pure whole house filter on the cold water line going to the kitchen when we did our reno. This filter "services" the water line to the fridge, the faucet at our sink, the pot filler faucet, and the added-post-reno outside faucet "on" our deck (plumber tapped into the line under the sink after we did the reno, so our flowers and herbs get filtered water by default!). We replace the filters every 6 months; spring and fall.

• jsceva
    11 years ago

We just installed an Everpure PBS-400 filter for drinking water...what's nice about the PBS-400 is that it has a 2.2gpm flow rate, so it doesn't slow things down like many other options, and you can fill pitchers, etc, fast.

Although our kitchen is still *far* from finished, I have already been drinking the filtered water for about a week. Tastes great, seems to work great, no complaints so far. Based on the specs and our limited expeience so far, I would recommend it.

• jsceva
    11 years ago

We just installed an Everpure PBS-400 filter for drinking water...what's nice about the PBS-400 is that it has a 2.2gpm flow rate, so it doesn't slow things down like many other options, and you can fill pitchers, etc, fast.

Although our kitchen is still *far* from finished, I have already been drinking the filtered water for about a week. Tastes great, seems to work great, no complaints so far. Based on the specs and our limited expeience so far, I would recommend it.

• jsceva
    11 years ago

Okay, that's weird. Sorry for the double post!

• philwojo
    11 years ago

It might help to post where you live and what type of water you currently have (City, well, hard, soft, etc.).

My wife and I just decided to get a water ionizer as she has always had tons of problems with her stomach and we are hoping this will help some. IT also has 2 built in filters as well as an additional external filter.

You can build your own water filter and configure it specifically for what you want/need for your situation rather than going with something generic. Though, in most cases, the generic will do probably 95% of what most people require, but again that depends on your situation.

• billy_g
    11 years ago

We also have the Everpure PBS-400 filter on the cold water line of our prep sink faucet and the cold water line of our master bath sink faucet, so we can easily get filtered water in our bathroom.

With the 2.2GPM flow rate we didn't need to drill an extra hole in the counter and put another faucet in for filtered water -- we always know we can get filtered water from the prep sink or bathroom sink tap. We don't wash dishes in the prep sink.

The filters last about a year and cost $82 for a replacement from Amazon.

Billy

• cbarkston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are building outside the Portland OR area on a small acreage with a well. The well is currently contaminated with e coli and will need to be treated. It's been recommended that we get a water purifier/filter once the well's been treated. I think I will prefer a whole house system...The house will be finished in a month so we'll want to get something lined up soon.

• kaseki
    11 years ago

I use a reverse osmosis system mainly sourced by SpectraPure for the key control parts. It uses a peristaltic pump run by the effluent flow to store RO water at about the same pressure as I regulate it for input to the RO membranes. I also use two RO membranes in series (brine wise) to get a higher yield of RO water from a given amount of input water. Production rate capability is about 6 gal/hr.

The RO water is plumbed to three sinks, a refrigerator ice maker, and to a centrifugal humidifier.

I find this "tasteless" water to be ideal for tea, ice, orchid watering, and dust free humidification. It is also used for most cooking that would normally use tap water.

kas

• philwojo
    11 years ago

Rose, if you want to be extra safe I know there are also UV options that you can add to filters that will kill off most nasty things in water in addition to the filtration.

Sounds like a whole house might be your best bet based upon what you have. Also, did you test for hard water from your well, do you need a softner as well?

• cbarkston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooppssss----I meant to say the well is infected with coliform, not e coli!! I don't know if it was tested for hard water---the report did come back saying it is high in iron---that sounds pretty hard and wonder if it would stain clothing in the wash??? We'll need to test it again after the coliform's been treated so I'll ask to have it tested for hard water at that time. This is all very new to me---never owned a well before! So thank you everyone for your recommendations. I'll have to get a little more info on the water.

• ribs1
    11 years ago

You need to have a comprehensive water test done before purchasing any filter.
    Contact your county environmental health department for testing procedures.
    I also suggest you head over to the plumbing forum and start asking questions there.
    If you are on a well, it is likely that you have hard water and iron among other things. If untreated you WILL have iron staining on hour close, sinks, tubs etc.

You have to know what is in your water before deciding the best method of treatment.

• cbarkston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, ribs. I'll check out the plumbing forum (didn't know there was one). We did have a comprehensive water test done----I'll go find the report and head over to plumbing and see what they have to say about it. We will treat the well as the water testing lab and the well company have recommended, then we'll follow up with an appropriate water purifier when I find out what that will be..

• christine40
    11 years ago

we use the Kinetico K5 for our well water. Love it! We also have their softener for the house...it's going on 30 years old and still going strong! Great investment!!

• christine40
    11 years ago

I just read your info about high iron--we have it too. we have a whole house softener, with an extra iron filer..called a smart choice...no more staining or rotten egg smell!

• cbarkston
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Christine. Home Depot sells the Kinetico and will test your water as well. Will check it out...

• franchise5a
    11 years ago

I have the Aquasana water filter and it works just fine. The cartridge last for 500 gallons without any problems. My water is cleaner and better than before.

• jonathansmith7890
    11 years ago

A water filter with UV+RO technology would be best. These are in more demand as compared to single technology water filters.

• Jerry2014
    10 years ago

I think the best water filter is a reverse osmosis system, because it can offer your plenty of clean and healthy water.You also can buy a water distiller to make distilled water. However, most home water distiller only can make 1 gallon water in 4 to 6 hours. Therefore, a distiller cannot provide you with enough water to drink, cook and wash.Water Ionizers and
    Water Di ionizers also have similar problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Water Filter: Reverse Osmosis System

• agk2003
    10 years ago

what is a good choice for an under the sink filter? we want to install one of those extra spouts by the sink for drinking water. we are in nyc, so no real concerns about well or hard water, but we currently use a brita pitcher. would rather not have to do that post-reno.

• nickyy99
    9 years ago

Hi,
    There are different types of water filtration systems from on-the-tap faucet filtration systems dispensers and pitchers using carbon filters, to those using reverse osmosis technique etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

It's the wrong forum to post the question and replies, but since it's not been moved, here are my 2 cents:
    a RO system (which includes a storage tank too) along with a permeate pump will produce good quality water at a high rate, unlike the ordinary carbon filter ones.

The pump is quite important if the static faucet pressure is on the lower side. Mine was 40-45psi and the RO system was not working right; after adding the pump (and changing the RO system in the process, but I think that was not it), I now get strong pressure and flow out of my filtered water faucet. FWIW, my new system is an "Artesian" from ThePerfectWater.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Artesian System.

• help72
    8 years ago

you will know more about pros and cons of RO under sink unit installation here - http://rohelper.com/systems/under-sink-reverse-osmosis/ and if you don't want to install for any reason reverse osmosis system here are some cheaper whole house options (under $2000) - http://rohelper.com/systems/whole-house-reverse-osmosis/

hope those reviews will help

• help72
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I haven't heard yet. I see the customer reviews on Amazon are good - http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Premium-Connect-Nahla-Contaminants/dp/B00ZO6MEHM  Thanks for letting us know about the system ))