Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iwalani12

Futuro wall Range Hood - Help Forum Friends

iwalani12
9 years ago

I'm new hear on the Garden Web hoping to get feed back from all of you.
Exhausted in searching for the right hood..I seek your help.
I need a wall hood with a good track record..low or no service needs, low noise and excellent suction (cfm). I've narrowed it down to Futuro Futuro, Miele, and Zephyr. Helping to find a hood for parents that live on a small island in the pacific (not a joke) with no service companies so they will need a dependable product.
Thank you for your time and in-put.
Aloha
Iwa

Comments (6)

• janejanel
    9 years ago

CFM depends on your duct size. A more powerful blower will need a bigger to duct to work (in fact, if the duct size stays small, that can be a giveaway that a hood is not as powerful as it claims it is.) Do you know how big a duct you can run?

Also, how large is the space? Do you have cabinets above the hood? What kind of cooking do your parents do?

• iwalani12
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the follow up kwach.
    They want to vent out from the back. No cabinets on the sides. Futuro Futuro brands have a 6" duct system I believe but we have space for 8".
    My local "Fergusons" store here recommended Zephyr but not much variety to choose from and ive read some might be made in Taiwan. "Best Buy" here has a nice Miele but the suction doesn't seem to be strong even though so far on paper it is one of the stronger products - I like that it is made in Germany. No one here sells Futuro - but from what I've been seeing on this website so many members seem to like the Futuro line for Hoods. It had out numbered the others in cfm and sones AND what a nice selection they have. But the experience from individuals who have bought these products may be the deciding factor....nothing like comments from the user themselves for how well they feel the products work.
    Price range 1,000 - 1,700.

• gigelus2k13
    9 years ago

These days, "Made in Taiwan" means OK or good quality, I wouldn't be swayed away by the hood being made there.

The crapshoot crown now belongs to the mainland China, just as it did in the 60's to Japan and 80's to Taiwan....

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

I suggest you also research the better quality Imperial range hoods for reliability and durability. If quiet is a factor, only look at those with dual blowers. Imperial hoods are made in the U.S. (California), use 304 Marine grade stainless steel, controls are continuously variable, and warranty is 7 years parts and labor. Obviously the warranty won't be of much use to your parents on an island, but consultation is readily available by phone or email. I called Imperial numerous times when researching vent hoods. Help was always available, and if the first person didn't know, they would have their engineer return my call. As a matter of fact, my under cabinet Imperial range hood is due for delivery tomorrow. I upgraded from the 7" to the 8" vent. The larger vent is riveted on at the factory. Of course I don't have personal experience with their hood yet, but reviews for their higher end models were very good.
    In the past, I did research Futuro Futuro range hoods and called them several times for information. It was concerning to me that when I called with more than superficial questions, the person responding didn't know and didn't seem to care. I was left with the impression that if problems later developed, quality service may not have been available in the U.S. That is obviously just my impression and not based on fact. Individuals on this forum who own Futuro hoods, consistently report that they are top quality hoods and are pleased with their purchase. Good luck with helping your parents.

• janejanel
    9 years ago

Depends on your parents.
    If they do fairly heavy cooking, and are somewhat handy, you might consider Vent a Hood. They are fairly low tech machines, with few things to break. If you can do an 8" duct, you could do one of their low profile (9"H) or pro height (18"H). My aunt has one at that power and it has lasted ... well, more than a decade of daily stir fry wok cooking and belIeve it is still going strong. You have to be comfortable with how it cleans... taking the housing down and washing the box, and every so often for deep cleaning, the blower wheels, which should be aligned properly when our back on or it might make slight rattle sound. But she is very satisfied with it. If you're parents are heavy cooks (it doesn't get to much heavier than daily stir fry), and don't mind being a little hands on with choosing their hood, the VAH is a pretty good choice.

If they don't do such heavy cooking and prefer to be much more hands off, and have a dishwasher, Zephyr, especially one of the quieter DCBL models would be quite good. Same with Miele, except better filter construction and easier cleaning (no exposed wires or blower). Just remember to absolutely throw the mesh filters in dishwasher after greasy cooking to prevent grease buildup blocking the filters. If they are liable to forget, look for one of the Elica hoods that have the new SS micro hole filters, more forgiving then aluminum mesh.

Marine grade ss wouldn't be a bad idea, but 304 SS isn't generally considered to be marine grade, even by manufacturers themselves. Marine grade refrigerators (for boats, for example) is usually 316 SS and usually very expensive. Not that 304 is at all bad, it's a very good grade for indoor use. But calling it marine grade is maybe exaggeration.

• feisty68
    8 years ago

iwalani12, I'd love to know what you picked?