Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Anyone have a built-in kitchen center (motor inset in counter)

lalithar
12 years ago

I came across something called a built-in kitchen center. The idea seems to basically involve a powerful motor with controls built into the counter and a variety of tops of various appliances (coffee grinders, blender jars, mixers, food processors, etc.)

There is one by a company called TCC and there apparently was an older brand called Nutone. I am intrigued to see if anyone has this and do they love it.. seems to me to be a pretty nifty idea if you can combine all the motor bases for the cuisinart, vitamix, kitchen aid, etc..

Here is a link that might be useful: Built-in kitchen center

Comments (83)

• mr1sherbit .
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I do. The cut out dimensions on the cut out sheet are 4 5/8 by 10 1/8. They're a few more measurements that are in the first picture if you need some more info. Is there an easier way to communicate? I wasn't thinking about shipping, would you be willing to split that? It might be around 16 pounds for all the pieces. My area code is 30518.

• Vicki Smith-Karvel
    5 years ago

I won't be out at the new house until Thursday & I don't have internet out there yet (and no smart phone...lol) so I can't check the measurements till then but it looks almost identical to what is in my counter. How do I get my e-mail to you without posting it on this site do you know? Splitting the shipping sounds fair. Thanks, Vicki

• mr1sherbit .
    5 years ago

Ok, sounds good. It should fit if it's a 251, make sure it's a fit or can be fitted. My niece sells stuff online and she said she would post it for me. I'll talk to her today and get back to you. That way we don't have to post personal info. You're quite welcome and thank you, Alan.

• Vicki Smith-Karvel
    5 years ago

Thanks, sounds good. When I looked at mine initially, I couldn't find any identifying #'s so I am just guessing. I couldn't actually get underneath the counter where it is mounted. They seem to have fastened the drawer face somehow. It doesn't come off. I'll have to have hubby get his tools out this week when we go out to the new house to be sure. I'd hate to not have it fit my countertop.

• mr1sherbit .
    5 years ago

I guess they would've put a false front like the ones by a kitchen sink. I just checked the unit I have and the model number is on the top of the unit and under the panel where the accessories attach. I would hate it to if it didn't fit. I'll post the template for measurements. If you need any other info just ask. If it does fit I will post my email for you and after I hear from you I will edit that post and remove my email. Thanks, Alan.

• Katherine Minton
    5 years ago
    I have had my Nutone food processor built in since 1984 and I love it. You don’t need all of the attachments. I basically use the food processor, blender, and sometimes the cone attachments. If mine goes out I will be lost.
  • Vicki Smith-Karvel
    5 years ago

Alan, the only measurement I could get was of the silver casing. It is 5 1/4 wide & 11 inches long. I wasn't able to see any model # or anything else on mine. I can't really see the measurements on the pic you posted. Thanks. Hope we can figure it out this way...lol

• mr1sherbit .
    5 years ago

Sorry it took so long to reply, I've been busy with contractors and remodeling. I just measured the case and it's the exact same size. I'll keep checking back for your reply and as soon as I see it I will post my email for you. I may put it up for sale on ebay so it will be easier for us. I will wait to hear from you. Again sorry for the late reply Alan.

• smsnod
    5 years ago

I inherited a built in Ronson mixer (put in 1968) that which popped up out of the counter and attachments rolled out of the cupboard below for a: mixer, blender, food grinder, coffee grinder, coffee pot, slicer/shredder/juicer and more. It was 'ABSOLUTELY AWESOME' and lasted 40 years and actually still works if I could find parts to replace the ones I have. The motor was so well built and I'd buy it in an heartbeat if I could!!!

• Heather
    5 years ago

Mom has a Nutone installed in 1979. We replaced it with this since it’s a direct replacement http://www.thekitchenprep.com/index.html Ive never seen a Ronson- very cool. Sometimes, you can get lucky and find used parts on eBay. If this was more a local product, then garage sales. Alas, it’s likely that most people have replaced a 1968 kitchen by now.

• smsnod
    5 years ago

Sadly, that is so true. They don't build kitchen appliances like they used too.

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Search for "nutone food center" on ebay.

• Joan West
    5 years ago

Don't waste your money! Theses are garbage! We bought one when it was Nutone and thier attachments were of fair to decnt quality. When they sold out to TCC it all went down hill. TCC does not improve or make any new parts and some parts are now unavailable. They are a fly by night company! The main blade on our food processor attachment is no longer available!

Buyer beware!!!!!!!

• Patricia Martin
    4 years ago

I installed this in the first home I built 30 years ago. Nutone was the manufacturer then. I installed it again in a kitchen about 10 years ago, Nutone was still the manufacturer. It was the best little kitchen item ever!
    No having to lift big, heavy mixers etc; one just had to have the attachments only such as the blender, coffee grinder, mini chop and so on, all w/o the heavy motors. It sat flush with the counter top.
    I’m now looking into buying it again for my most recent kitchen. I finally found it on Amazon (of course) but in the meantime had also found it from a new manufacturer, thekitchenprep.com. They have no contact number that one can call, I did email them a number of times but to no avail.
    So, I went through Amazon just now & emailed them yet again.
    I’m having the template done for my countertop tomorrow & if not the product itself, I need it’s specs for the stone to be cut.
    However, I’d really prefer having the unit itself so I have about a week to get it to my stonecutters.
    If anyone out there has contact telephone #’s for this or any other company that carries it please send it to me @
    pmartin1661@optonline.net
    Thanks to HOUZZ, can always depend on this company for information!
    Regards to all,
    Trish

• HU-517920064
    4 years ago

My parents have the NuTone and it still works. I have had 2 houses and made a point to put one in each home. I LOVE this thing! We are now getting ready to remodel our kitchen with a quartzite counter top, My husband is concerned because it is "vintage" and if it breaks we are toast. He wants to get a new unit. I'm reading about the TCC one - and checked out the kitchenprep site. I like the cover they have for them. Anyone here purchase one from them recently? It is a must have for me!

• Craig
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have Nutone (250 I think) which came with house when I bought it (built in 1968ish). We have remodeled kitchen and re-installed in a box under the counter. However, contractor lost the knobs/covers so I am trying to find replacements. I used mine all the time so I am desperate to find replacements. Any suggestions? I did check sites mentioned in previous posts, thanks.

• Patricia Martin
    4 years ago

I’ve had this unit in almost every kitchen I’ve lived in since I first found it at Nutone back in 1985. It’s currently owned (I’ve got his contact info) by someone in California where I just purchased another for my renovated kitchen.
    I think these units are wonderful!
    Basically it’s a built in motor that powers a number of different appliances hence no more clutter with having to own blenders, food processors etc.
    I think there are a variety of reasons this isn’t popular one being it requires cutting into the countertop to drop the motor in & and an electrical outlet inside the cabinet. Unless one is renovating or buying a new home where you’re choosing your own kitchen most people don’t want to cut into their existing counters.
    For me, it’s definitely worth it because I don’t enjoy cluttered kitchens & I really don’t enjoy lifting those heavy food processors out of the cabinet every time I need it.
    Anyway, if anyone wants more info just post it here, I may take time getting back to you since I’m in the middle of moving & I often forget to check this site.
    I’ll set up a reminder to check back here early next week, just in case.

• Heather
    4 years ago

There’s also a company in Canada that makes them too. They’re compatible with the Nutone parts. My mom burned hers out and my dad got the replacement from Canada - excellent customer service and they updated the controls so they look more modern.

• Patricia Martin
    4 years ago

Contact Fred “The Kitchen Prep” @ (714) 969-6855 for units, parts etc. I believe he is now the patent holder.
    I just recently got a new one, still love it!

• HU-745366164
    4 years ago

I have new in box accessories for Nutone food center also some that are not in box email me at harfordptme@yahoo.com

• HU-937064668
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi!

I love how many of you talk about a place in Canada that has Nutone compatible products, but no one actually mention their name 😆

Well, I am in Canada and our new place has a working Nutone 251 motor. I'd be quite interested in knowing the name of that Canadian company, if anyone remembers it 🙃

It was great to learn about that little device I had never seen, and if newer parts really do exist, I think I'd like to keep that motor in my counter!!

Thanks everyone,

cheers

Lodoiska

• HU-258096629
    3 years ago

My parents built us a new home in the mid 60’s. In the kitchen mama had the Nutone built in food prep center. And all the attachable appliances. Food processor, ice crusher, mixer, blender, etc...Loved it! I’m renovating a small cottage and would love to have it in this house.

• Heather
    3 years ago

I believe I got parts for mom’s old nutone here http://www.tcckitchencenter.com/Products.aspx

they serve Canada.

• PRO
    Unisource Built-in Kitchen Food Processing
    3 years ago

Built-in Power Base operates multiple attachments...go to www.thekitchenprep.com to check it out...it also operates all old NuTone Food Center attachments.

• anindita de
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Has anyone tried to put the accessories/food processor unit in the dishwasher? My NuTone blender says do not put in dishwasher, but I’m not going to end up using them unless I can put them in the dishwasher 🤷🏽‍♀️

We inherited the NuTone system with all the accessories (pretty much unused) with a home we bought recently. Trying to decide if I should just give it all away or give it a try. If I gave it a try, I’ll need to order the food processor cup since mine doesn’t seem to rotate with the motor (the blender rotates just fine).

• Heather
    3 years ago

No blender jug should go in the dishwasher. To clean a blender jug, fill with a cup or so of water and dishwashing soap and blend until clean. Rinse and turn upside down to dry.

• Ariel Orozco
    3 years ago

Bought a condo, and we have one of these in the counter. Just turned on by itself, and smoke came out afterwards. Seems to be hooked up in a weird way. There's one attachment at the bottom of the motor, and it's got a screw in it. Whole thing is hooked up to a metal pipe that goes back into the wall. If I turn off the breaker and get that off, I should be good, right? Don't really want it on anymore, if it's a fire risk.

• rocksurf02
    3 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen and sadly the Nutone original to the 1990 home (Model 251) will be removed. It is still functioning, and I have many accessories: Food Processor, Mixer, Blender, Knife Sharpener, Can Opener, Shredder-Slicer, Meat Grinder, Coffee Grinder, and Ice crusher. Email caseyandmichelle@gmail.com if interested. I'm located in San Diego, CA.

• HU-224775842
    2 years ago

did you sell the NuTone?

• rocksurf02
    2 years ago

Hi, yes I did sell the Nutone and all accessories. Thank you all for your interest and emails :)

• Gina Hubbell
    2 years ago

Does anyone have a 251 they want to sell or the motor?

• Jeff S
    last year

Anyone have Nutone Parts or TCC parts for this?

• Wendy Ezard MacAskill Mitchell
    last year

I have a couple boxes of parts and accessories for my unit and a whole other set but a smaller version. What are you looking for?

• Jenny B
    last year
    last modified: last year

I bought a house with the Nutone 221A model (400 Watt?). I think I spilt some liquid on the motor, because it stopped working. I replaced it with TCC's replacement which was 600 Watt. It stopped working very soon after. Maybe I spilled something on it again. I don't remember. TCC doesn't sell motors anymore. So I'm selling parts. I have the blender, food processor, mixer, knife sharpener and maybe more.

• HU-364729713
    last year

Will you ship to me?

• HU-364729713
    last year

Will you ship to me?

• Jeff S
    last year

Hi Jenny, there's one particular part that I need but if you want I'll buy everything from you. labelman68@gmail.com 714-457-7970

• Jenny B
    last year
    last modified: last year

I've been looking on eBay trying to figure out how much to ask for these parts. I don't want to deal with individual shipments if I can help it. I'll ship them as long as you pay for shipping which will vary depending on where you are. I'll text you Jeff S.

• A. Pena
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Worthpoint Auctions

• HU-407145665
    6 months ago

I have what may be the only Nutone in the UK - they made it under licence here - the early one, just mixer, pink blender and knife sharpener. Waiting for my new house to get it bulit in. Wonderful idea - even Kenwood, the big UK brand, did consider something similar at one stage.

• funandfancy
    last month

I have a Nutone 251 model. Looking for blender or blender replacement. Mine won’t turn. Anyone have one?

• Jeff S
    last month

There's a guy in Huntington Beach who bought the patent and has been having these made in China. I bought one. Here's his info:

Fred Milne,
    President KP Multi-Chef
    Huntington Beach, California
    http://www.thekitchenprep.com
    714-969-6755

• funandfancy
    last month

Thank you so much Jeff. I spoke with Fred. Unfortunately, his blender will not fit an old 251 model. I would have to buy his newly designed motor set up. Probably not realistic, when all I need is the blender. All of my other attachments are like new! Have you been pleased with your new kitchen prep setup? Just in case my motor goes out.

• mr1sherbit .
    last month

I have a one. I also have a whole set thats never been used.

• mr1sherbit .
    last month

• funandfancy
    last month

Good Day and thank you for your response. I am trying to buy this blender for a friend that is going through cancer, thinking it would add a little brightness to their day. I think his is a 251 model. This is a picture of one that looks like his. Could we communicate? Possibly via phone?

• mr1sherbit .
    last month

Yes, we can do that. You can email me at 42sherbit42@gmail.com. Let me know in your email what your timezone/state and when a good time is for me to call you. I hope your friend is doing well.

• funandfancy
    last month

Alright, I sent an email to you. Just posting here in case you don‘t get the email, you can let me know.

• mr1sherbit .
    last month

I got the email and apparently could not reply from phone. I just sent one from my PC.