Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broan downdraft with external Fantech duct fan?

Posted by ajw_in_va (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 1:47

I'm renovating a kitchen and adding a downdraft hood to a gas cooktop. It seems reasonable that I could purchase the Broan 283603 without a blower, then purchase a Fantech FG8 duct fan to install inline in my crawl space. Seems that would be fairly quiet (instead of having the blower in the cabinet below the cooktop). Also, much lower price than buying one of the Broan external blowers. I'm making some assumptions that the Fantech could be wired into the Broan controls fairly easily. Anyone see any issues with that approach?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broan downdraft with external Fantech duct fan?

Ignoring the relative deficiencies of down-draft hoods, control compatibility is a "maybe." If Broan used a triac type control and the Fantech uses a straight-forward induction motor, and the Fantech is approximately the same power draw as the Broan fan, then they should be compatible. Other types of controls might also be compatible.

You may not want to experiment without first contacting Fantech to determine the FG8's compatibility with different control devices, and technical support at Broan to find out what type and rating of control is used with their hood.

kas

o

Agree with kas, it's the control compatibility that's key. For example, when purchasing my Prizer hood, I had asked if it could mate with an Abbaka remote blower. The answer was no, since Prizer uses three speed controls, and the Abbaka blower motor is variable speed.

o

Not a good bet. From either the compatibility standpoint, OR the functionality of a strong fan sucking on a gas flame. If you've got to have downdraft (there ARE other options) then induction would be the better cooking source as at least it doesn't have a flame to be pulled to the side or pulled out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here