Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

White induction range, other than Viking

crl_
9 years ago

Just thought I'd ask, anyone know of a white induction range in the works? The Viking is out of my price range.

I'm very happy with my free standing frigidaire, except that stainless (especially with the ugly black sides) isn't my favorite. We plan to remodel in about ten months and I'm working on budget. I am planning to keep my frigidaire, but if anyone is coming out with a white range in the $3k or under price range, I would consider replacing.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• User
    9 years ago

Have the stainless trim pieces powder coated at a local shop.

• crl_
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have seen that suggestion here before, but I can't remember seeing a review from anyone who has actually done this.

I'm concerned about how neat the job would be and how durable that kind of after market finish would be. I'm also not sure about the logistics as there is stainless up top as well as the door/drawer so the whole thing would have to go and I guess they would have to cover/tape off the controls, glass top, etc.

I also think it might be off visually because the parts of the range that are not stainless are black. So powder coating it black seems like it would look fine theoretically, but powder coating it white seems like the end result would just look strange? Would they powder coat the black parts as well?

Any idea on cost?

(Forgive the picture, I am cleaning up from dinner.)

• waterstar
    8 years ago

Hi crl,

Did you ever find one? I really need the white induction and would love to have the style where the hobs are more adjustable. ( :

Thanks,

Waterstar

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Bertazzoni has an induction range now. It will still run you more than $5K for white though, and initial reviews on this forum don't look too great.

• waterstar
    8 years ago

I'm thinking it might be safer to buy the cooktop separately and install a wall oven under it. I can paint the cabinet a shiny white, maybe? I read the reviews of the Viking and people said the tops had all sorts of problems. Not sure I want to try a first year out range. ( :

What did you end up doing?

• waterstar
    8 years ago

Oops, I apologize. I see you are not crl. Thank you hvtech42 for your response. I am thinking of the Seimens, since it is so flexible, but don't know if I can get it in the USA and if it will break my budget. ( : Do you know anything about that brand?

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Personally I would never self-import a major appliance. It may have the best features in the world but all that money for no warranty, no service... no thanks. Some will disagree with me on this however.

• waterstar
    8 years ago

I just found out that they have a production facility in USA.....but not done checking. If not, they you are right! I wish a decent company in USA made a induction hub that has some flexibility in the placement of pots and pans.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

Siemens is a brand of BSH, which does have manufacturing facilities here. However they do not sell Siemens brand appliances in the USA, only Bosch, Thermador, and Gaggenau. The Siemens brand name has never been widely used on major appliances here, I know they sold Siemens branded Bosch dishwashers at Best Buy for a while but I think that's as far as it ever went.

Gaggenau and Thermador have their full surface induction cooktops that let you put pans anywhere, however they are super expensive and limit you to 4 at a time (less expensive 5 fixed burner models let you do 5 at a time). I would recommend reading up on this forum. Lots of good information buried in older posts.

• waterstar
    8 years ago

THANK YOU for taking to time to help me. Do you know of any US company that makes a good induction top with "adjustable" features for pots and pans?

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can you clarify what you mean by that? I gave a couple examples above...

• waterstar
    8 years ago

Hi hvtech42

You are right, most of them are super expensive. And yes, I agree that I really don't want a foreign brand...thank you for the info on the service and warranty. Also, duh, I see the S factory in USA does not even make the induction top!

I think I will go with this as the induction cooktop, I can always replace it in a few years when the technology improves. What do you think?

GE Profile PHP9030DJBB

Now I am looking for a reliable white wall oven with warming door to put below the induction cooktop. ( :

• User
    8 years ago

You won't find a wall, oven and a warming drawer to fit below any cooktop. Much less induction. You need to read and understand the installation guides.

• waterstar
    8 years ago

Oh My! Thanks, I will have my contractor check it out before I proceed.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

I am the original poster and of no help. I simply kept the stainless frigidaire pictured above.

The bertazonni that has come out since I posted was also out of budget, though more affordable than the Viking. And having a range that works well, I'm not all that interested in paying money to try a relatively new product. I still don't see any way to powder coat mine and have a decent result visually.

The good news is that I still love induction and do not regret choosing it even though I am stuck with stainless for the time being. Maybe when this range dies there will be more white induction ranges available.

Good luck!

• hvtech42
    8 years ago

If you want a cooktop, oven, and warming drawer in one spot, you need to get a range.

• waterstar
    8 years ago

I see that the GE induction top: GE Profile PHP9030DJBB allows the install of any of their 27-30" wall ovens. The only problem is that my oven door would be just about floor level!!! LOL

So, I'll be like you crl and live with the ugly but functional stainless. Sigh. What brand did you get?

Now I'll start or look for a chat that rates the best brand for the cheapest price for the stainless...but do I want one of the tops that bridges two pans and has the power sharing (as vs. power boost) feature? If you are interested, here is a great website that describes the difference.http://theinductionsite.com/induction-makers/ge-induction-hobs.php

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Mine is frigidaire. But it does not allow bridging and has since been discontinued in favor of newer models. I think the price has actually come down some on the newer models.

A major factor in my decision was that at the time I bought, whirlpool and possibly some other brands were using aqua lift (I think?) for self cleaning ovens and reports were universally awful for that. So I eliminated all brands using that technology from consideration.

I believe I have read that many people find bridging does not work all that well in practice as they find there is a cool spot in the space between the burners? You might want to research that before deciding whether bridging is essential to you.

Good luck!

• Chanop
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There is an option to get a cooktop, a compact 18" tall oven (or combi oven) and a short warming drawer. Many brands have designed a combi oven stacked up on top of a warming drawer to sit side by side a 24" oven.

For white models, some extra money, and a European brand, Miele has a combo white combi oven and white warming drawer in 24" wide. There is even a white induction cook top but not available in the US.

Nowadays, a bridge induction unit has two (or four, in case of BSH) rectangular induction plates. Heating is quite even. It is even recommended to put larger pot in the middle of the bridging to get a better heating coverage e.g. 12" pans or pots as each rectangular plate is roughly 7"x8".

• waterstar
    8 years ago

oh my, this is overwhelming. Thanks all for your help. I really appreciate it. It is like a whole research project, but I need to make my decision rather quickly.

Quite frankly, it just does not seem that it should be such a chore to find a reliable appliance. Not like the old days when you wished your appliance would die, but it just kept on working and getting uglier with each passing year, ( :