Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Miele DW odor

tetrazzini
15 years ago

Well, I read here about the Bosch DW odor, but our new Miele has one too. You notice it when you open it after a cleaning cycle, and it clings to the dishes for a while after. It's not what I'd call very strong, but it's a little unpleasant. It didn't develop until now, about a month after installation. The filter is clean, I checked. Has anyone else noticed this? It still cleans very well, but the odor turns me off.

Comments (19)

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

Have not noticed any in mine which has been installed since 2006. What detergent are you using and what cycles do you generally use?

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

Do you use rinse aid, and what setting do you have it at for dispensing if you do use it?

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

A few things to check out and/or consider:

1) Check for that high loop installation (others will explain than better than I can!).

2) Is your DW along an outside wall? I find our Miele DW starts to smell sooner now than it does over the winter, now that the warmer weather is here (before I run it--if dirty dishes are sitting in it for a day or so, and sometimes even a little bit after it's been run, like when the DW isn't emptied 'til they've been sitting for a day or after running a load).

3) re: detergent; I find that the DW tends to have a slightly less fresh (and sometimes an ever-so-slight off-putting) odor if I use Cascade Complete powder vs. using the Miele tabs. Since I like the ease of using the tabs, and the dishes seem to "sparkle" a little more when I've used one, it's not tht big a deal for us (soem here use 1/2 tabs with good results, too--I'm just lazy! Slightly more shine with the full tabs I think, too!).

• sshrivastava
    15 years ago

Miele dishwashers do not require a high loop installation.

Try running an empty dishwasher on Sanitary using 1/2 gallon of vinegar. This is the cleaning technique recommended by Miele, and should take care of any residual odors.

• weissman
    15 years ago

Hey, with the Miele you get the odor included in the price - with other brands it's an option :-)

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

Weissman - thanks for the laugh :)
    Seriously I have not experienced any odor after any cycle. Not with my previous machine or this current one. Like cat mom says you may smell something if dirty dishes are left in it a few days. There was that time I left dishes for a day or so covered with salmon in there.......
    But no odor after washing.

I asked about the detergent because there was a previous thread were folks were discussing odors and the common thing among them was Cascade Complete powder. Still...I use it from time to time and don't get any odor.

I wonder if it is a odor from the new racks that have not been broken in. I would try several high heat washes in a row, Pots and pans, Sanitize, and see if this helps.

• john_com
    15 years ago

egganddart, are you on well water or municipal supply?

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all you answers. I'm on well water, I use Ecover powder, and I've recently started using the "economy" cycle. Rinse aid is full, I presume, or the indicator light would come on. (It's an Inspira.) DW is not on an outside wall, and the smell is when I open it to empty it after washing. Maybe it's the economy cycle, since I just started using that recently.

I'm going to try the sanitation cycle recommended by sshrivastava. I'll let you know if that works.

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

Egganddart49, I alternate between Ecover powder, and Cascade Complete. The Ecover can leave some residue on certain items, if the water does not clean off crevices, etc.

• mary_in_nc
    15 years ago

Below is a link to a thread I clipped last fall. I think you will find it helpful

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele Swamp odor

• sshrivastava
    15 years ago

The culprit is the Economy cycle combined with Ecover, in my opinion. The water doesn't get hot enough in this cycle and the Ecover detergent (I've used it) just doesn't cut the mustard (pun intended).

Try running a load on Pots & Pans with Cascade. The odor should be gone after that cycle.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

I agree with sshrivastava on this. The economy cycle on the Laperla and I suppose the other models is around 113F.
    My DW cleans the dishes just fine but I use it with Cascade powder or paks, Miele tabs, or Electrasol. I will use Economy for one week and then switch to something else the next week.

If you have the water saver cycle on your machine try that one. On mine it uses slightly less water in each fill than economy, is slightly quicker than the economy cycle, and has a temperature in the range of 130F.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, everyone. I suspect my problem is the economy cycle, as I started using it around the same time the odor started. I think so, anyway, I wasn't keeping track. That link was helpful, Mary.

If it continues and I decide to give up on Ecover, I'll look into Miele tabs, since European eco. standards are usually higher than ours.

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

Ecover is a product of Belgium; I would not give on it, simply alternate as we do. I can say that when I used Cascade for the longest time, and then purchased Ecover we noticed the interior cabinet of our stainless steel ASKO dishwasher became cleaner after we started using Ecover.

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

I've never used Ecover DW detergent but I liked their FS. Miele tabs are expensive compared to the rest, but I think they are designed to be used at the low temperatures found on some of the Miele DW.

• luken
    15 years ago

I've just been through this thread and the other one linked about the Miele Swamp Odour and can't believe my eyes.

There is so much trollop being dribbled here.

Let's make this clear - regardless of the brand, a machine will not produce odor by itself.

Something has been introduced to the machine.

In rare cases, we've seen a reaction to the plastic/rubber inside (a Miele) machine - but it's been quite obvious when switching detergent/rinse aide, what the culprit is.

Now - there's a few things you'd need to do before ANYTHING else.

Look in your manual for the words "Drain Pump and Non-return Valve" (for Miele machine). Do not clean your filter and think it's fine, you need to check the non-return valve regularly too.

Once that is done - check the cycle/programme chart in your manual for the machine you have and choose the hottest wash - run it empty. No detergent, no dishes.

Check after cycle ends.

If you still have the odor - run a small amount (1/2 cup is fine) of vinegar.

Note this is only for odor. For lime/calcium deposits - use and Acid Descaler. (this may also help with odor but is not it's primary use)

Detergents are less likely to help (while they may break down small amounts of food on plates etc,) - hot water is more important for the machine itself.

Get the machine in order - the dishes follow.

Kind Regards,

LukeN - Miele South Australia

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

Our program charts in the manual for North America don't give temperatures or energy consumption data for each cycle so many have been saying to use the Sani, Heavy soil(intensive), or pots and pans cycles which should be the hottest we have.

• rolls_rapide
    15 years ago

I have to agree with the posters who mention low temperatures and 'Ecover', as being the cause of odours.

My mother had a Zanussi dishwasher and used 'Finish' tablets, with no problems at all. I then purchased 'Ecover' for her to use, and a week or so later, the dishwasher had the most foul smell imaginable.

The filters were always kept clean and free of debris (she pre-rinsed plates under the tap!).

Switching back to 'Finish' quickly reduced, then removed the stench after a few washes.

Speaking to an engineer later, he suggested always using the recommended detergent (Finish).

• jerrod6
    15 years ago

Thanks rolls.

For those that live in the USA, Finish is Named Electra Sol in the USA. In fact they have renamed ElectraSol to Finish Electrasol. Same product, just name consolidation.

I use ElectraSol tabs from time to time and they work well.