Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookin_em

New Frigidaire Ovens Smell BAD

cookin_em
16 years ago

Has anyone out there had an experience similar to mine? We just got new Frigidaire Professional Series double convection ovens. They look great. They brown great. They SMELL TERRIBLE! So far, we cannot get rid of that "new" smell. When ever we turn the ovens on they smell like burning plastic, and it makes us sick. Does anyone know if we are supposed to do something to make the smell go away? We have let them "burn" for hours and the smell will not go away.

Please help!

-Cookin_Em

Comments (28)

• ready2remodel
    16 years ago

Don't know for sure, but I wonder if there really IS plastic sheeting in there. (E.g., companies will often use nearly-invisible sheeting to protect things like finishes or windows). If it isn't clear from a careful visual inspection, I'd suggest you check with the company - either from FAQ on the web or by calling customer service. It's unlikely you're the first person to have such an experience so the company might know something you don't.

Good luck.

• theapplianceguy
    16 years ago

It will gradually go away with normal use. To get rid of the smell immediately, remove the oven racks (wash with hot,soapy water) and run both ovens through the self-clean cycle.

• aliebabee
    16 years ago

cookin em, my Frigidaire Pro Series Double Oven smelled like that too, but it went away after the first few times that I used each oven. I guess yours took a little longer. I think I read in the manual that some smell is normal, sounds like you had an extreme smell though, glad it has gotten better.

aliebabee

• globewalker
    16 years ago

We have the Frigedaire Professional series slide in stove and experience the same bad smell - almost burns your eyes.
    Have had it since March and still smells bad (but do not use oven that often).
    Just called Frigedaire and they said someting about the binding on the insulation causing it and it should go away, but if its been that long to call in a service call.
    May still do that next week and may try the self-cleaning mode. Thanks.

• globewalker
    16 years ago

The smell was so strong that it would burn our eyes.
    We called the service man out... he didn't leave it on long enough for the smell to be noticable - and then left.

We did the self clean process and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks theapplianceguy.

Sister-in-law just bought the built-in double oven version and never had the smell issue.. so I guess it doesn't happen to all of them.

• judyfuj
    8 years ago

We have had our new Frigidaire oven for about a month and that terrible smell is still happening. Will try the self cleaning option and hope that does the trick. I also did not find this complaint when researching the web prior to purchasing.

• dinah2isinthe
    7 years ago

We have had our oven for at least 6 months. We clean it about once every month. Last night it smelled after heating one frozen pizza for the entire night. The entire house. All night long.

• john12368
    7 years ago

We have had a new fridgidair oven for a few months, the first time i used the oven broiler blue/white smoke started pouring out the oven vent and continued for 5 minutes after shutting it off. Having worked as an electrician for years I knew immediately it was wire insulation burning and informed the repairman of that when he came, but he also didn't leave it on very long and claimed the the smell is some chemical burning off the elements. It was and still is very obviously wire insulation burning and several months later is still giving me headaches and making me feel constantly ill as I have no choice but to use it every day and even with fans on and the doors open during -6 weather I feel horrible. I'm just about to take it apart myself since I can stand it no longer and fridgidair service is useless. It likely is going to result in a lawsuit, DO NOT BUY FRIDGIDAIR IF YOU CARE ABOUT
    YOUR HEALTH!

• HU-897248749
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Please check your ovens! I have a Frigidaire range with that bad smell. The insulation was burning inside! Apparently, this is an issue Frigidaire has refused to correct despite being notified of the problem!

• carriehill2004
    5 years ago

I’m having the same issue and I’ve not been able to use my oven since I purchased it fall of 2017. How did you find that out? Did you take it apart yourself?

• HU-553433433
    4 years ago

Have had ours nearly a year and still bad enough to make it useless. Lungs hurt for days after multiple "burn-ins" and months. I'd be interested to know why it is acceptable to sell ranges that have ventilation warnings. EVERY make and model includes how not to kill your birds.

• boba1
    4 years ago

"why it is acceptable to sell ranges that have ventilation warnings. EVERY make and model includes how not to kill your birds."

Those ventilation warning instructions are in the context of instructions using the self-clean oven function. Has nothing to do with normal/usual baking or broiling.

• Becky Strömer
    3 years ago

I have a Frigidaire gas range that also smells of burning plastic when the oven is on. It makes me terrible ill even with all the doors and windows open. It does not have the self cleaning but I have turned it up and also left it at 350 for hours as I worked in the yard....still smells terrible. I have not used my oven in a year and a half because of this. It was a new unit in the house when I purchased the house. I thought perhaps it was something from construction in the house that may have got somewhere it shouldn't. Now, I am convinced it is not as the unit is very clean. I so miss my baking and cooking a home cooked meal that isn't on the stove top. Frigidaire has disappointed me. I cannot afford a new unit as I barely make it by now. It seems they are not making this problem right. Model LFGF3014LBC

• Shannon Hauschild
    3 years ago

We live in an apartment with a new Frigidaire oven/stove. After running the self-clean cycle multiple times and regular use, our oven still had a toxic chemical smell after 6 months. We finally got a replacement and the new oven is even worse. It even smells when we use the stove top. We have scrubbed the inside with baking soda and wiped the whole thing down with water and done the “burn in” process and the smell does not seem to be dissipating. I will never ever buy a Frigidaire stove and hope my landlord will replace it with a different brand that doesn’t make us sick.

• Tim Uy
    3 years ago

FRIGIDAIRE GALLERY 27 in. Double Electric Wall Oven with True Convection Self-Cleaning in Stainless Steel

Model # FGET2766UF

Store SKU # 1004247277

Purchased in May 2020, now Aug 2020. Many hours, maybe 15 hrs of burn in at 450. Still smells toxic, like burning plastic. Fumes fill the whole house. Never been used for food. Beautiful appliance that is totally useless. Now that I have found this thread I am shocked and disappointed. Calling someone to fix, but not sure if they will be able to fix it. Hopefully I can return somehow.

• sterilecuckoo58
    3 years ago

Our new to us (it is 10 years old) kenmore branded frigidaire built induction range with convection oven (don't offhand know if it is "True" convection made an awful plastic burning stink when we attempted to broil eggplant. We had never engaged the broiler function before. But then we have only had it a month or so. I'll be looking under the hood to see what can be seen, and maybe try out the broiler again with observation potential. Regular oven use in convection mode - even at 400ºF has caused no unexpected odors. Sorry, no resolution here.

• HU-202198089
    3 years ago

I got a new Frigidaire Gallery induction range last year(2019), but haven’t used it much because of the smell. I had it shut off at the breaker for a few months while remodeling my kitchen. I replaced the outlet for the stove while remodelin. i plugged it in, flipped the breaker. Everything seems fine. I set the clock, but did nothing else. After less than a minute, I smelled the burning plastic/electrical burn smell, and the stove wasn’t even turned on!! I shut it down again, and checked to see where the smell was coming from. It was coming from the back, where The controls are. Why, when it isn’t even being used? I’m making the call first thing tomorrow to get it fixed or replaced. Luckily, my appliance seller includes 5 years warranty On the appliances they sell.

• Adriene Lea
    3 years ago

Washed my racks too and it helped. Thank you AG! 🛠

• susan meinberg
    3 years ago

I‘m having the same problem with my new Frigidaire gas stove. My eyes are still burning and I ran the self clean six hours ago. Good thing I put my old electric stove in the basement.

• bortnichie
    3 years ago

does anyone have a solution other than self-cleaning?

• pammmcdaniel
    3 years ago

Well, I've been watching this post since we first noticed the smell with our combination Frigidaire wall oven/microwave. Same problem. Terrible smell. I have baked many, many loaves of bread during the pandemic. We've done a lot of cooking at home since we moved into this newly built home in August 2020. We thought we would take the advice of the appliance guy, but the smell just continues....we call it a "hot" smell....like electric hot. A burning smell. We smell it whether we run the microwave or the oven. This morning, March 31, 2021, the microwave completely died after trying to heat a pot of water for 2 minutes. The clock on the oven still works though and so does the oven, as far as I can tell. We call Frigidaire/Electrolux customer service. They sent a local repairman out. They told him the customer must uninstall the unit before he can work on it. They just want to repair the microwave unit and be done with it (it's a $99 microwave according to the repairman). They didn't even address the smell. It would be less expensive for me to buy a $99 microwave and put it on the countertop!

We will call them back tomorrow. We refuse to be responsible for any cost in repairing or replacing this unit. It's a safety hazard. We have been worried to death about it starting a fire since we saw the burn marks in that picture above, but due to the pandemic, we have not been allowing repairmen into the house, so we lived with it. Well, we're done with that.

If Frigidaire/Electrolux wants to deny a problem when I could find this whole history of issues with their products with a five-minute internet search, then it's time to report to the FTC or some government agency. How do companies get away with this?! I will put a review of this product on every website I can find who sells it. I'm guessing if everyone with this problem would do that, the customer service would improve.

If they want to replace it, we will allow it once. But we will call them back for a full refund if the problem happens again. We won't be purchasing this brand of appliance again.

• Liz Deacon
    3 years ago

I’m reading these reviews as we too have this same awful electric/plastic smell from the auto internal fan. Ours is a slide in gas. Will try the self clean trick but it really is unacceptable and I worry about long term health effects. I will try calling Frigidaire for what it’s worth ..

• pammmcdaniel
    2 years ago

To follow up on my post above.

No luck with Frigidaire/Electrolux. They expect me to hire someone to uninstall my wall oven/microwave combination before they will "repair" it. I guess I then have to call that person back to reinstall it? Makes no sense! How will they know if they fixed it or not?

They won't acknowledge the safety concern about the burning electrical smell. If we are going to pay someone to uninstall & reinstall so they can try to fix it, we decided to cut our losses now. We turned off the circuit breaker & bought a countertop microwave for temporary use. We bought a different brand and will pay someone to install it. Went with KitchenAid this time. I'll see if I can get pictures of what is causing that smell.

• Vane De Hoyos
    2 years ago

I just bought my stove! decided to bake a cake the smell is horrible, I hope it goes away!! It’s bad 😫

• larrydbrooks
    2 years ago

I just cancelled our appointment cause with reading all these emails WHY pay them 100 dollars. Where are our attorneys people ….who can step in and do a class action suite against this arrogant big company …?? We bought 4 for our 4 plex and have not heard anything until someone trying to clean and had burning eyes and sick! Held 30 minutes and no service at all fromFrigidaire Vallala2@ gmail.com
    This is simply not right that they have no accountability and annoy a serous problem that could hurt someone
    Please … your thoughts.! Thank you

• S Hampton
    2 years ago

Yes. I hate it. But , more more, I hate the vent that blows my hairdo out, when I open the door to check the food!. It That vent comtinues going after the oven is off.

• boba1
    2 years ago

That blowing vent is to keep the electronics cool. I leave my oven door propped open at an angle for about 10 minutes and the fan turns off. If I don't open the oven to let it cool down, the fan runs for almost 2 hours. Nuff said!!!