Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motleydog_gw

speed oven vs. advantium vs trivection vs convection MW

motleydog
13 years ago

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I could not find a definitive answer by searching the site.

What is the difference between a convection microwave, the Advantium, the GE Trivection oven, and the Miele Speed Oven? I hear conflicting stories from salespeople.

Comments (62)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I don't know how all of these work. As I understand it (but might have holes in that understanding), the way the Advantium works (the one I have) is that it has microwave, halogen, and convection. The speed cook uses a combination of microwave and halogen to both excite the molecules inside and warm it from the outside with radiant heat. It has a microwave only mode, and a mode where it imitates a regular convection oven using the radiant heat and fan.

What Chas said about the the KA is my understanding of a convection microwave--which is a misnomer, because I think all microwaves have some convection going on. MW's with "browning", "crisping" and the like (which are oven referred to as convection microwaves because the word "convection" had cachet while regular ovens were changing over to having convection fans) are just microwaves. They have a little heat element to make the exterior of something seem "cooked", i.e., brown and crisp, but that's just to make the exterior meet the aesthetic expectations while the microwaves do the real cooking.

From looking at the GE site, I think I've figured out that the trivection is a speed cook microwave, but doesn't have the oven only option that an Advantium does.

From reading the manual, as I understand it, the Miele speed oven is both a regular radiant oven and a microwave, and can do both at once. In theory it's similar to an Advantium, and they have always been classed together here, but from what people here have said, I believe that they have different strengths because they work in different ways (though I can't remember the particulars). The Miele reads as more oven-y, whereas the Advantium is more microwave-y. I'm not exactly sure what form the radiant heat takes in the Miele.

Summary: a convection microwave is a microwave that browns, a Trivection (I think) is a microwave/speed cook oven, and Advatium and Miele speed oven are microwave/speed cook/radiant heat ovens. I'm not 100% sure that's right but pretty close. Go to the manufacturers' websites and read the manuals to get better ideas of what they all can do.

• motleydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. It certainly is confusing. I read the materials on the web, but as soon as I go in the stores, it seems I forget everything, like a kid in a candy store mentality.

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Well, let me see if I can muddy the waters a bit. The Miele Speed Oven we own, the H4080BM Masterchef, explained:

First of all, it has 3 separate functional heating devices with which it can cook food.

1. A radiant heater element with a fan behind the back wall of the oven. When used alone it is called convection baking.

2. An exposed, top heater element that when used alone is called broiling.

3. A Microwave.

The speed oven has modes encompassing all of the combinations one could want running at the same time.

For instance, Combination Bake first heats the oven up to the desired temperature then cycles the microwave off and on while keeping the interior of the oven baking hot. Microbroil runs the broiler and shoots some electrons into your dinner at the same time. Convection broil runs the convection heater and the broiler and combination broil does all 3 at once.

By the way, when I say "at once," what I mean is that the machine cycles power to the microwave intermittently, taking power away from the broiler, but only momentarily. The heating element is still quite hot and broiling continues while the nuker is running. But all of this happens under the control of the machine. You set the baking temp you want and the mode you want and step back while the machine does the work.

There is also a combination roasting function that uses a temperature probe, intermittent microwaves, convection heat and broiler power to cook a bird or a roast.

Oh, if you pay full retail and speak German, the oven will give you a free puppy.

Key to it being a "speed" oven is the fact that it can use all of the different heating methods concurrently as described above.

Example: A Marie Callender's Chicken Pot Pie with Mushrooms takes 60 to 65 minutes to cook in a preheated 400º oven. Including preheating, total time for one pie is close to 1.5 hours.

Using the speed oven with no preheat, just dial 375º for 25 minutes in combination bake mode, pop in the frozen pie and hit start. That's it. 25 minutes later you have your pot pie, nicely done, too. The bottom and side crusts are actually browned, not soggy like what you end up with using the fake "microwave in a box" method, and in not much more time.

When I originally got the speed oven, we had just been looking for some kind of built-in microwave for our kitchen remodel. But once I saw the speed oven and how well it matched with the Miele coffee system we had already bought, I hunted one down for our kitchen.

The newer H4082BM models have a lower heating element as well, which might make the oven perform better for pizza, about the only thing I really don't like coming out of the one we own. So I use the big oven for pizza, large baking days, etc. But for normal baking I use the Miele all the time now. In fact, I would find it a major inconvenience to be without a speed oven now that I am used to having one around.

BTW, the "Masterchef" function of...

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

motleydog, I am wading through these decisions as well, so thanks for this post. It IS confusing!!

mojavean: Did you arrive at that combination of 375 for 25 mins in combo bake mode for your pot pie through trial and error? Or did one of the masterchef menus guide you to that combo?

I was SUPER impressed with the Miele masterchef speedoven in person. I thought it was for serious cooks, not folks like me who don't really know what they're doing-lol. But it seems perfect for me because I just enter what I want to cook and it figures out the optimal cooking methods combo/length of time.

But I wouldn't think the menus would know how to interpret prepackaged foods like your pot pie, hence my (possibly silly) question?

I'm a huge techno phobe and thought I'd be intimidated by all the Miele masterchef interactive menus-but I stood in front of it and "cooked" 4 chix breasts-no instructions, no cookbook, no tutorial from the salesperson. It was so intuitive. Easy. If it can also help me automatically cook prepackaged/frozen meals quicker and with better results then I'm really sold! ;)

I am really trying to figure out the differences between the GE 240 Advantium and the Miele masterchef speedovens in practice, so let's stick with this pot pie example... Does the Advantium also help guide me to select the optimal mode of cooking, or do I need to know that I want to select the combo bake at 375 for 20 mins-does anyone know?

Thanks!

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

I'm also wrestling with a decision between the 240v Advantium and Miele's speed oven.

Today I was made to understand by my very patient kitchen designers that the proposed island is not all that big (maybe 48" wide), and so Miele's 24" oven fits better in it than the 30" Advantium does -- I'll have more counter space beside the oven if I get the Miele. I hadn't realized this before; this size difference may be an issue for some others as well. [GE does make smaller 120v Advantium models, but several online reviews complain the 120v models are less reliable.]

As for the Advantium menu: The Advantium seems similar to Miele's MasterChef menu system -- you push and turn a knob, but it seemed intuitive to me. It selects how to speed cook the specific 175 recipes that it "knows", and you can tell it how to cook other stuff. I don't recall seeing chicken pot pie -- or any pot pie -- in either Miele's or Advantium's menu system, though. Presumably, when you learn to cook things the systems knows, you may intuitively grok how to cook other items as well (an included cookbook may be helpful as well) -- but I'm certainly not there, yet.

• dcwesley
    13 years ago

We have had the Miele Speed Oven for two months now. We are using it more often than our full size oven. It can bake a full sheet of biscuits or rolls, cook the meatlof, speed bake potaotes, microwave leftovers, etc. We like that when abking it preheats quicker due to its smaller size. I feel it keeps the kitchen cooler since there is less heated space to empty out into the kitchen.

I am less impressed by the Master Chef menu.

I am still learning the best combination of microwave / bake settings for various dishes.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Yesterday, for lunch, I got fish and chips (french fries) for lunch. I couldn't begin to eat it all. So tonight (Wednesday) I decided to have the rest of it. I knew "Nuking it" would only convert the fries to "Wet Noodles" and probably wouldn't do the fish any "favours" either--sooooo-- I decided to try the "Grill function" on the Elux Speed Oven.

It preheated about 5 mins, Then I used one of "Mojavean's "Swag Techniques" and chose 4.44 as the time. They came out great, fries nice and chrispy and the fish came out great too. Only problem was wife ate half my fries!!
    Anyway, what ever your decision, I think with an appliance of this type you will find more and more uses for it!

Good Luck with your pending purchase.

Gary

• fauguy
    13 years ago

I wish that Miele made a 30" OTR Speedoven/Microwave that could be installed over a conventional free-standing range, instead of only having built-in models. We looked at the GE Advantium 120 SCA1001KSS ($680) last weekend, and didn't care for the way it looked, with the large grill on the top, and the small buttons that surround a selector wheel. The (normal) GE OTR Convection Microwave JVM1790SK ($460) looked better, even though it still has the selector wheel, but the regular GE Microwave PVM1870SMSS ($360) looked the best between them, as the top vents are hidden and has a traditional touch-pad. The only other OTR Convection Microwave that can fit in our space (because of the full granite backsplash) is the Viking DMOR206SS but at a cost of $1100. Is the Viking worth twice the price of the GE? Probably not. I'd be more willing to spend (more) on a Miele OTR speedoven/microwave if they made one. I love my Miele dishwasher!

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Fauguy - I found your post interesting--one of the things we liked best about the appearance of the GE Advantium is the dial and the symmetrical buttons around it. We originally wanted a Panasonic convection MW because we loved its look; it also has a dial and symmetrical button layout. The Panasonic just seemed more modern and clean-looking than the busy--and ubiquitous--touch pads of the non-Panasonic MW's. I remember someone posted on this forum that that MW touch pad look hasn't changed since their college days, and when I thought about it, I realized that's true!

Unfortunately, we needed an OTR MW due to our small kitchen (though we would have preferred a hood, but there just wasn't the space). Panasonic doesn't make an OTR convection MW. Then we saw the GE Advantium with that same non-busy, dial/buttons controls, plus the versatility of its functions, so we bought that. We haven't installed it yet. I definitely see what you are saying about the grill on top, but so many of the OTR's have that grill, it didn't bother us too much.

Clearly, everyone has different tastes and preferences. We are hoping that the Advantium will make our cooking tasks easier, and look forward to it being installed (along with the rest of our kitchen--I'm actually seeing the light at the end of the tunnel).

BTW, the $1100 Viking DMOR206SS you mentioned is a re-badged Sharp. That Viking is made up of the Sharp R-1874 front, and the guts of the Sharp R-930CS. So, if you like the Viking's functions (convection OTR MW, 1.5 cu.ft., 900 watts MW, 1450 watts convection), you can buy the Sharp R-930CS which is identical inside for about $450. The Sharp also doesn't have the grill that you don't like. HTH.

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Oops, in my last message, I got my model numbers a little wrong. The Sharp R-930CS is not an OTR model. As I mentioned, the Sharp R-1874 is the OTR convection MW that looks identical to the Viking. It costs about $600.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp R-1874 OTR Convection MW

• mojavean
    13 years ago

Littlesmokie, I apologize for not answering your question sooner, I thought this thread had drifted downstream and was long gone.

To answer your question about the pot pie: it was pretty much a guess. I tried it a few times using various methods, getting the feel for what worked best. I found you could dial up 25 minutes for one pie and set the temp to 375 in Combination Bake mode and it would be brown and ready to eat in 25 minutes. I used a kitchen thermometer to ensure the doneness of the pie.

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

I'm also wrestling with a decision between the 240v Advantium and Miele's speed oven.

Today I was made to understand by my very patient kitchen designers that the proposed island is not all that big (maybe 48" wide), and so Miele's 24" oven fits better in it than the 30" Advantium does -- I'll have more counter space beside the oven if I get the Miele. I hadn't realized this before; this size difference may be an issue for some others as well. [GE does make smaller 120v Advantium models, but several online reviews complain the 120v models are less reliable.]

As for the Advantium menu: The Advantium seems similar to Miele's MasterChef menu system -- you push and turn a knob, but it seemed intuitive to me. It selects how to speed cook the specific 175 recipes that it "knows", and you can tell it how to cook other stuff. I don't recall seeing chicken pot pie -- or any pot pie -- in either Miele's or Advantium's menu system, though. Presumably, when you learn to cook things the systems knows, you may intuitively grok how to cook other items as well (an included cookbook may be helpful as well) -- but I'm certainly not there, yet.

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

Chaco mool

Can you speak to the issues w the 120v? To my knowledge it's the only supported for under counter which is a must for us

Also anyone have input on the following scenario: we were going to get the double wolf oven that both have convection but if we "downgrade" to the E series w 1 convection we save about $1k more than making up for the "upgrade" to the speed oven Vs STD microwave/convection

Is my logic accurate? Anyone see any flaws in that configuration?

Thank you

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Sportsrx, it was too long ago now... I was really intrigued by the Advantium a while back, and Googled it. Ended up going with the Miele speed oven mostly because Advantium's 240v model was too big for my little island.

Regarding reliability, I assume some comments were posted here -- but certainly elsewhere online -- complaining of Advantium break-downs; reading them, it seemed clear the problems were more with their 120v unit than the 240v one. Maybe they are trying to do too much with too little power. No idea if those issues have been resolved, or if current models have been changed since whenever the problems cropped up. I don't recall seeing any comments that these issues have been fixed -- but perhaps they have been, now.

Partly its because I wasn't really interested in the 120v models. [Also, because I'm getting induction, under-counter placement didn't fit for me.] More importantly, the 120v models are slower than the 240v (they can't do as much simultaneous cooking with less power), and I'm looking for a *speed* oven here.

I think your logic is fine, BTW.

• fauguy
    13 years ago

alwaysfixin,

After looking again at the GE Advantium SCA1001KSS for $680 and the GE Convection JVM1790SK for $438, we decided to go with the GE Convection. Overall, we liked how it looked more, and didn't care for the way you have to change out the glass and metal turntable on the Advantium. Also, after investigating about the Viking, it does turn out that Sharp makes the guts of the microwave and sells it to Viking and Dacor, which only put their names on it, change the look of the door and vents some, and then charge twice the price ($1100), when the Sharp one is about $600 but no one locally sold the Sharp. We installed the GE Convection JVM1790SK today over the range and it works well. If we were able to do a built-in, then I might of went with the Advantium or Miele (even though its more expensive), but it had to be an OTR style.

• sportsrx
    13 years ago

Can anyone clarify for me if any of these speed ovens other than the 120v advantium is approved for undercounted install? We are open to any brand, will use primarily as mw but appreciate the speed oven features

• fauguy
    13 years ago

4lbs Chicken made in GE Convection Microwave JVM1790SK

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

If this helps anyone else who is wrestling with the Advantium vs Miele speed oven debate, I've now been able to test both of them live.

For clarification, I did not cook anything so can't compare which would produce better cooking results-which is really is the most important part-but this is what I came away with in terms of ease of use.

When I started this quest, I just wanted an acceptable second oven that will be used as just a microwave the majority of the time. For me that is the Advantium, hands down.

The Advantium you push a button labeled microwave cook, input your time, and hit start. For the Miele there were several screens/options you had to specify first, including the power level of the microwave. When I just want to heat up my coffee, I want to push a button and go, not see several menus.

I was concerned that I'd lose the Miele "masterchef" program assistance by going with the Advantium, but the Advantium also led me through exactly the same prompts for how to best cook my hypothetical 4 medium chicken breasts.

One drawback the Advantium is louder than the Miele, I'm referring to the end of the hypothetical convection bake cycle I ran it through for my chicken, it was quite loud, you could feel hot air emerging below the unit (which surprised me) and it gave me a message on screen that said something like "oven is cooling down." I wondered whether that would prevent me from using the microwave function immediately. It did not. (I don't know whether that is a good or a bad thing, just stating what happened.)

When my kitchen designer looked into why the Advantium was not approved for undercounter use (where the Miele speed oven is) he was told by the dealer that children could get hurt from hot steam escaping. Feeling hot air at the end of the 1-2 mins I ran to test the program, I believe that so I just want to urge anyone considering "eh, what the heck" this is not one to disregard the approved install instructions which states it is not to be mounted lower than 36."

I still don't know whether I'd get better cooking results with the Miele speed oven, but since this will be our second oven, I am comfortable with the trade off of having a unit that is MUCH simpler to use as a microwave. I'm looking forward to using the speed cook features for those last minute weeknight dinners. (For reference I believe my hypothetical 4 medium chicken breasts took 10 mins in the Advantium.)

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

sportsrx-

YES-the Miele speed oven is approved for undercounter use. If you are tight on space, it also has a small rough opening, something like 22 1/2 inches and a face front width (no trim) of only 24."

I'm not sure about other units, such as the Electrolux, etc.
    As I said above, just definitely don't want the Advantium 240 undercounter!

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Littlesmokie,

I believe your review of the Miele operating instructions is correct -- but there's a shortcut if you just want to microwave something on full power for a minute. So its not that bad.

See the Miele speed oven manual; probably available from Miele, but its also on AJMadison's site.

The shortcut: Just hit the "Minute+" button at the bottom of the main display, "To start the microwave with maximum power for 1 minute. You do not have to turn the oven on to start this function. Press the "Minute+" button and the program will start automatically." (pg. 11)

I'm not clear how limited this microwave shortcut is, in practice. Maybe some experienced actual users of this oven can tell us how to nuke something for 30 seconds or for 4.5 min. Does repeatedly hitting the Minute+ button add time in 60 second intervals, then?

Here is a link that might be useful: H 4082 BM Operating & Installation instructions

• aliris19
    13 years ago

I love this thread. The distinction between these ovens is HUGELY confusing.

I am wondering whether anyone has anything new to add to this dilemma, having, say, bought one or another or had new experiences to add to the mix?

I am wanting to supplement a gas range's oven with a second, electric oven to be used for occasional overflow baking and as a microwave for heating of drinks, reheating dinner (which I usually do by stove or conventional oven, BTW). I am not averse to adding a dedicated 240 (220?) line as it does seem, as mentioned, that the advantium problems may be attributable to insufficient powering of the 120V models. I would, of course, prefer to avoid the additional electrical work if possible, but if it winds up being the difference between one appliance-headache after another, the upfront investment would be worthwhile, I think.

Therefore I thought combining a microwave and convection/speed oven would be a terrific space-saving idea. Little did I know how many confusing issues there were!

FWIW I have never owned a microwave, having preferred old-fashioned heat. Maybe it's just ludditism, whatever... I'm ready to move into this new world of exotic energy sources, but the options are so vast. I appreciate simplification and clarification.

BTW, what is the "KA" referred to in the early postings, please?

Thanks.

• Britt
    13 years ago

I've had the Advantium for almost 3 years. I'd never be without one again. Before I bought it I went and worked with the Miele and the Electrolux at my local store. I found the controls on the Advantium to be much easier to use - including the custom speedcook capability.

The Advantium also has three heat sources: halogen, convection, and microwave. I have the 220v and it's amazing how fast it cooks and how brown and crispy the food is. It also proofs bread, is a warming oven, and melts and softens. As well as regular microwave and convenction. It's terrific.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I also have an Advantium 240. Several years ago, on this forum, the Miele was rated better for baking (as in things like cookies). The Advantium was better for ... I forget if it was roasting or microwaving.

I use my Advantium as a spare oven as well as a microwave. The advice I got here was to have a special drawer for the trays right under the oven. It's invaluable!! Many people reported not bothering to get the most out of their Advantiums because getting at their trays was too difficult. GE sells an accessory drawer that mounts right underneath (stainless), but it doesn't make the best use of space. I have room in my drawer for the trays, the wire rack, a couple of microwave covers and some pot holders. Those few extras don't make it any harder to get the trays in and out.

I've mentioned in other threads that I'm impressed with the sensor. I'm usually skeptical, but it works really well.

Re the operating procedures above: For microwaving, if you know how long you want to set it for, you can just touch Express once for each 30 seconds you want to add to the time, or touch once (which starts the MWing), and turn the dial to adjust the time. Very convenient.

Aliris, I think either would do what you want.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Hmm... well thank you, plllog and pritu. Has anyone any notion of good tgvng-day-after sales featuring the Advantium? I hate this pressure when I don't know exactly what to buy yet! I think I'll have to let the day slip by, unfortunately.

• Buehl
    12 years ago

Aliris19..."KA" stands for Kitchen Aid (or KitchenAid).

• thumbs_03
    12 years ago

From what I can tell, the MAJOR differences between the Advantium and the others is the inclusion of a lower heating element and no pre-heat required. With the lower element and the metal trays you can brown the top and bottom of your food simultaneously. The bottom element browns cookies and pizzas, etc. very nicely. Foods which would normally require turning can often be done in one step. The heat for all three "elements" (top, bottom radiant and microwave) can be set in 1 step increments from 0-10. It may even be possible to program changes over the course of the cooking but I have not attempted that.

As the top and bottom elements are some sort of light there is no pre-heat cycle, you simply put the food on the metal tray in the oven, set the program or manually program it, and press start. Until something better comes along, I will not have a kitchen without and Advantium. We are about to do a remodel and I will be installing a new Advantium in the remodel and taking our old one to the Lake House.

• lrb500
    12 years ago

just wanted to bump this thread as it is mostly from 2010. Any updates worth noting regarding speed ovens or convection mws?

• birddog1737
    12 years ago

I'm wondering if there's any new info in this realm, too. Like others, I'm interested in a second oven for side/small dishes and for quickly nuking to reheat. Only, I'd like to get away from microwave cooking as much as possible for the potential health risks. The speed cooking doesn't jazz me since it seems to alternate nuking and baking food.

If I don't want to speed cook, can anyone recommend which product would be best for stand alone baking and microwaving? I don't want to overbuy for what I need.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Wow, I can't believe this thread is even revive-able. It feels like visiting with an old friend to see it!

Fauguy -- how'd you get that chicken baked in a MW/speed oven setting sitting on a metal rack like that?

I posted a review of the Miele low-end speed oven I bought recently. It's here.

I don't think the speed cooking actually *alternates* MW and baking, rather it's like you're baking along and every now and then some microwaves get spattered about. So the regular baking is the overall milieu, as it were, and the MW just enliven things periodically. Sort of like having a blender with a burst, or pulse, feature, IYKWIM.

The Miele at one time was the only such multifactorial oven available at 240V for under-counter positioning. It does as advertised, and does not get noticeably hot at all.

Birddog, are you saying that you want an oven that MWs and the same oven to be a regular baking oven, but you don't want it to do both? You don't have to select the confluence of bake and MW; you can opt for one or the other. I don't know if there's a cheaper option available that does A only and B only, omitting "A + B"

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I just saw the Miele today. What amazes me is that no one has commented on its actual size. It's tiny. It's a microwave, full stop, just with more wiring. Whatever other functions it promises, what the hell can you possibly bake or roast in that?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Um... wish I'd taken a picture. I just roasted two chickens in mine yesterday. Yum!

A full pyrex baking dish -- I think that's 14" x 9", no? It's the large, standard size - that nestles perfectly in the glass tray's divet. I put a large lasagna in that pan the other day, thinking I'd bake it in the speed oven but ended up using the large gas one afterall. Still, the pan would have fit just the same.

Three half baking sheets (for cookies, for example) can fit into the thing; you can buy them to exactly fit within the rails.

The interior may look small, but because the convection works well, I guess, and you can therefore use more or less all of the interior, it turns out to be functionally very roomy.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

This old thread has been surprisingly helpful. I am debating some appliance changes in our kitchen remodel. I'd like to put in a small standard range hood in place of our OTR MW.

Would an Advantium be able to replace our MW and toaster oven? We use the toaster for reheating things like pizza that we don't want to get soggy, broiling meats, cooking frozen pizza and fries, and occasionally toast. I know is says it can do this, but in reality is it a feasible alternative or not worth the change?

I don't know anything about built in wall models. Would and Advantium be able to built into the bottom shelf of an upper cabintet? Or does it need to go into a wall? Definitely looking to get things off the counter.

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

The Advantium is ~22" deep, so it might fit in a _deep_ upper cabinet. I'd want it built in, rather than OTR; certainly not on the counter.

You'll also want it to be not very far above eye level, though, mainly because you need to see and read stuff to select different modes and intensities while programming the cooking functions. If its too high up, this may be difficult. It may really help if you can see one in a store somewhere.

In another thread here, I think plllog mentioned toasting in her Advantium; search for that (below). [IIRC, it was adequate, or marginal, or something like that. If you really like toast, you may want to get a good toaster.]

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Thanks, chac_mool! I read a ton of the other threads too. We really only make toast for occasional BLTs and when toasting hamburger rolls. So maybe 8 times a year? Otherwise we use the toaster for baking frozen things, reheating, and broiling.

I have been busy reading a lot about these including installation and thinking hard about where in my tiny kitchen I could squeeze in a built in model. Think I need to do some very careful measuring tomorrow, and also figure out if an OTR model might work for us.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Just to provide the whole picture, I'm hoping the Advantium would replace our current MW and possibly toaster. We could use the counter space! I'd like to put in an actual hood over the range, one of the slim ones like a canopy, with a cabinet above. We only use the MW 2-3 times a week most weeks.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Just put in our Advantium 240.
    Easily replaces MW and could easily replace toaster oven - not sure about making "toast"
    Pizza reheat should work great - I haven't tried it but based on a few items that I made - I think it would make great reheat pizza (we never nuke our pizza - used the deLonghi toaster oven as I hate soggy pizza.

It is a wall oven and not over the counter install. I think Sharp makes one that you can install over the counter - but don't know about the features.

I made 2 giant potatoes in 9 minutes flat - and they were just like traditional baked potatoes.
    I made a corn pudding in the speed oven last night as its maiden dish - it came out perfect - I even doubled the recipe and then kept it on keep warm moist for an hour! It was amazing!!!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

A2gemini, thanks for the update! We also have a DeLonghi toaster oven that I love, but hoping the Advantium could replace it to gain some space. It is great for reheating pizza, definitely agree soggy pizza is not good, probably the only way to make pizza bad.

Convinced DH to read up on the Advantium as he was unconvinced it might be good. Now he is insisting on the 30 inch built in model, so I am racking my brain trying to make it fit somewhere! Might have to post a layout thread to get some more brainpower if I'm still stuck in a few days.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Williamsem - have fun!
    Don't totally get rid of that DeLonghi! For now, I have ours in the pantry but can pull it out if needed.

It was a life ring during the remodel.
    Check out these beautiful Zingerman pot pies!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

My thoughts exactly! I was thinking it could have a nice semi-retirement in the pantry, but it may have to live tucked way up high on one of the shelves replacing the soffits. But definitely nearby!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Williamsen - I had the electrician put power into the pantry - so I can still use it when needed - I suspect mostly for toast. It has been a great friend and I could never get rid of it until it needs a burial.

• RoseLD
    11 years ago

Does anyone know if there is any functional difference or pros/cons for the Advantium Over the range unit vs the Wall Oven? We are looking at the 240 volt version -- probably the Monogram line -- but there's no info about the OTR versus the Wall models. It seems the OTR version is about $1000 less than the wall oven -- I'd love to understand all the details.

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

Th OTR version is shallower than the wall oven. The turntable in the OTR is 13 5/8" in diameter; the wall oven version has a 16" diameter turntable. The OTR's interior is shallower but wider compared to the wall oven.

You can't (or at least you shouldn't) mount an OTR oven in a wall - it needs open space below it. An OTR oven must also stick out in front of cabinetry above it.

• PeterH2
    11 years ago

PS: The OTR version's door opens to the side; the wall oven's door opens downwards, like a small oven door.

• lee676
    11 years ago

and the OTR buttons on black or stainless steel 240v Advantiums light up, the wall-oven versions don't. And being an OTR unit, it has a 300 cfm exhaust fan for the cooktop (not very powerful) and downward-facing halogen lights for cooktop or countertop illumination. I still prefer the wall-oven versions for the considerable extra depth, and to allow the use of a high-CFM exhaust fan.

One of them may have two rather than one wire shelves, don't remember which (if either).

• meek95
    11 years ago

Any difference in performance between OTR and wall oven 240v Advantium?

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

I am asking the same question about OTR vs. wall Advantium 220 Volt performance and features. I plan to put the OTR under a wall cabinet, but not over the range - need a real hood/vent there. It may look odd but that's the only place I have for it. Any reactions? Input?

• jscout
    11 years ago

I did that exactly, ellessebee. I have the 240V OTR Advantium mounted above the counter. I also have 15" wall cabinets so it fits and works like a charm. I don't think there are any differences in the cooking features between the wall oven and OTR models. The oven cavity is pretty big, because I can fit a half sheet.

There are two considerations you need to keep in mind. 1. The OTR does need to vent, because it performs a cooling function after using the non-MW functions. I have mine blow out the front, above the door. In hindsight, I would have run some duct up and over to the adjacent rangehood. 2. The door needs and extra inch of clearance on the hinge side (left) to open. When the contractor first installed it, the whole unit was flush with the cabinet and looked awesome. He was so proud of himself, as was I. I went to use it later and couldn't open the door. It also blocked the exhaust in the front. He had to come back and reinstall it by tacking 2x4s (actually measured 1.5x3.5) to the back wall and then installing it. Now it all works beautifully, while taking a slight hit in the aesthetics.

Another benefit to mounting the OTR model OTC is that the underside is heat and moisture resistant. So my coffee maker has a permanent home under there where I don't have to worry about the steam damaging the undersides of the cabinet. Oh, and the built in light of the OTR serves as task lighting for the area underneath. So I also saved money on lighting there.

This post was edited by jscout on Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 13:26

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

jscout - thank you so much for this excellent information! It sounds like i can go ahead with my plan - and my electric pressure cooker that produces steam can hum happily underneath like your coffeemaker! I do have a couple of questions. Do you have all 15" wall cabinets or just for the Advantium? If just for the advantium, how does it look with that section being deeper? how would you have run duct work to the rangehood - are they right next to each other? I have 24" cabinet in between in my kitchen but maybe I should consider placing the Advantium closer - or ducting it out on its own. I will have to look into this - but I hate to have too many holes in the wall in my cold climate. Thank you also for your tips on the door clearance. Would you consider posting a picture of your final installation?

• jscout
    11 years ago

You're welcome. I have all 15" cabinets on that wall. The hood is adjacent so the duct would have just gone over. In your case I think you'll be fine letting the Advantium exhaust out the front. I also have an electric pressure cooker and I put it there when I need it too. I just don't leave it out, because I don't use it that often. I also run the OTR vent to pull the steam up and evacuate into the air. Now that I think about it, it was one of the best "outside the box" decisions I made in the kitchen. When I first described it to the contractor and cabinetmaker, they looked at me like I had two heads. But after it all came together, they got it.

Here are a couple of photos I took way back when it was first installed.

Front view:

Side view:

Whole wall just after completion of kitchen:

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

jscout - thank you so much for this excellent information! It sounds like i can go ahead with my plan - and my electric pressure cooker that produces steam can hum happily underneath like your coffeemaker! I do have a couple of questions. Do you have all 15" wall cabinets or just for the Advantium? If just for the advantium, how does it look with that section being deeper? how would you have run duct work to the rangehood - are they right next to each other? I have 24" cabinet in between in my kitchen but maybe I should consider placing the Advantium closer - or ducting it out on its own. I will have to look into this - but I hate to have too many holes in the wall in my cold climate. Thank you also for your tips on the door clearance. Would you consider posting a picture of your final installation?