Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kumarc42

36' Smeg v. Berta?

kumarc42
11 years ago

We're lurkers on the forum but have never posted - now we're in need of some sage advice. We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and are researching 36" gas ranges (no dual fuel). Smeg and Bertazzoni are both in our price range. We've read a fair number of complaints about the Berta oven regarding uneven temperatures, burning of baked goods, etc. Some say using convection solves this problem, but we've also read that the convection doesn't work well and isn't appropriate for all baked goods, such as bread baking. We bake bread regularly.

Are these complaints about the Berta valid? We've also read some reviews that love this range, many of them here.

Meanwhile, the Smeg seems like a great alternative, but it has fewer reviews and given its newness on the market, we worry that repairs and parts might be challenging. Has anyone gotten a smeg and used it since the last thread on this topic was posted here? We called AJ Madison and talked to their sales guy, since they sell both brands and seem pretty high volume, and he said he's heard nothing but good things about the smeg and would go with it over the berta. Then we called back and talked to a different guy who said the opposite. Help!

About us: we cook almost every day, but we've always dealt with low-end ranges in rental units. We make jam, beer, can tomato sauce, you name it. The 36" will be a dream for our big canning pots. But we simply can't afford the CC or a blue star. We can live without the 18k btu.

Looking forward to the wisdom of the group. We need to make a decision quickly. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• nesmithbrian
    11 years ago

Hi kumarc,

I'm no expert, just someone who is going through the same motions at the same time.

I was really interested in the Bertazzoni--saw it in the showroom, did some research, got excited, looked at it again the showroom. Letdown.

As others have pointed out already. The Bertazzoni is a fairly conventional Italian gas stove. It is very much like the stove you will find in a good rental apartment in Italy, if the apartment is a genuine sublet.

I don't think this has been adumbrated in this forum, but Bertazzoni has been active in Italy for a long time under the name "La Germania" http://www.lagermania.it/

Both the Master and Professional Series appear to be essentially normal La Germania stoves that were rebranded for the North American market. The fact that these stoves are sold in Italy under the name "The German", whereas in NA they are prized for being Italian and from Emilia-Romagna says a lot, I think.

After determining this, I am just going to get something that is actually from Germany. Never should have strayed ;-).

• nesmithbrian
    11 years ago

..here's that link again. Notice that the Master Series is essentially identical to their "Americana" series, which they describe as big and tough-looking.

Their domestic stuff looks sophisticated and cool, essentially a cheaper German/Swiss alternative, which has been their stock in trade from the beginning.

They all but say that they deliberately made the Americana ugly. (grandissimo ... audace ...stile transatlantico...Un modello robusto )

Here is a link that might be useful: LaGermania

• PRO
    JFBANG Design
    11 months ago

I'm now facing the same decision: Smeg v Bertazzoni.... I realize this is 10 years old, but if you're still here: What did you go with?!

• PRO
    Adama Engineering
    11 months ago

Neither. Both are poorly engineered, as well as being underwhelming in the performance department.

• PRO
    JFBANG Design
    11 months ago

They are both also the ONLY gas stoves in their price range that I can find that are 27"D or under (including handle) and don't have horrific reviews (empava, summit). If you have another suggestion, I'm all ears.

So I'm a little stuck and would love to be encouraged here, rather than told they both suck...

• HU-249558342
    11 months ago

Give up the shallow depth requirement, up your budget, or downgrade your expectations.

• PRO
    JFBANG Design
    10 months ago

(1) Can't, NYC apt has incredibly small aisle (2) Already did, went up to the $3,500 price range... not everyone can go up to the $5,000+ range and (3) I didn't say anything about my expectations, was just looking for insight if anyone had a preference between the two.

• Clarence Tay
    5 months ago

hey JFBANG, likewise, im in the same situation now. am curious to know if you ever came to a conclusion on this matter?

• PRO
    JFBANG Design
    5 months ago

Hey Clarence, I went with the Smeg and have been using it a couple months. Very happy w/ the aesthetics and the oven heats up faster than any oven I’ve used before which is great. Took us awhile to figure out how to consistently light up the oven- despite lots of googling and you tubing which was VERY frustrating (come back at me if you get it and you have trouble). No bells or whistles on the oven, as you probably know, but despite cooking often, I don’t miss them. So far I’ve found it a good choice if you NEED the shallow depth. Ignore the Debbie Downers in this thread ;)

• Clarence Tay
    5 months ago

wow, didn't expect such a quick response. great to hear that the SMEG ecosystem have served you well. I was definitely leaning towards team SMEG (largely due to price point). thanks a bunch for helping me make a sound decision moving forward. truly appreciate your useful pointers. take care and stay safe!