Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wolf 30' gas range

Posted by debget (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 23:16

Hi, Just bought a house c/w wolf 30" gas range. The burners work nicely but when the oven is turned on I have noticed a gas smell. When the oven is turned on it takes about a minute before your hear the flames. Is this normal? Should there be a gas smell?
With thanks,
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wolf 30' gas range

Hi Deb, I have the 30" all gas Wolf in my kitchen and there is no gas smell when I turn on the oven. You should probably contact Wolf customer service about having it checked out. In the mean time, I wouldn't use the oven until you find out what is causing the gas smell.

o

I agree with Maryl1. But I think what might be the problem is the ignitor needs to be replaced. If the ignitor is not working properly, it takes a long time for the gas to ignite, leading to a gas smell and the full minute before flames. Replacing an ignitor is an easy fix. Some would even do it as a DIY - find out the part number, purchase it on the internet and switch out the old ignitor for the new. Or have a service call, and it should not cost a lot. Ignitors fail after a while just through age and use, having nothing to do with the quality of the range or the brand.

o

If an oven ignitor fails, or doesn't get hot enough, there should be no gas smell at all. There is a thermocouple that senses when the ignitor is hot enough to ignite the gas, and only then does the servo send gas to the ignitor.

Sometimes the gas line to the ignitor, or ignitor get out of alignment, and the gas doesn't light immediately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here