Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Wolf range - which is better? Gas, Dual Fuel, or ??

seosmp
10 years ago

Hi,

While scrambling to figure out my cooktop/oven/range selection ASAP, I've heard great things about the Wolf products in general, including the range. But I've found there seem to be 2 basic models (I'm looking at 36" with 6 burners).

Which is better??? I see the DF is a lot more expensive. Is it worth it?

GR366 - seems to be all gas (burners and oven), but no timer, no digital display, not self cleaning -- not sure I like this???

DF366 - dual fuel (gas burners, electric oven), has timer, digital display, self cleaning.

Is pre-heating an issue of either?

I should mention that I will have an Electrolux electric oven under a MW on another wall.

Thanks!

This post was edited by seosmp on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 23:17

Comments (6)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Some people have a strong preference for the all gas because it does not have an integrated circuit board to break. Other people must have self clean. Pre-heat times are roughly the same.

Some people prefer electric ovens for baking multiple racks of pastries and breads but prefer gas for roasting meats and certain dense breads.

There are three "hot" ranges on Appliance Forum right now.

Capital Culinarian. very powerful even heat burners and offers as an upgrade self-clean gas oven. This oven also a motorized rotisserie. Comes in 8 colors as well as stainless steel.

Bluestar RNB similar burners offers dedicated simmer burner, optional French top and comes in 240 colors plus unique finishes like copper .

American Range Performer Series. Similar burner configuration to Bluestar but least expensive of four ranges.

You can read more extensive details about these ranges in several Appliance Forum threads.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

If you are getting an electric wall oven I suggest you go all gas and have the best of both worlds.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow - thanks for posting all of that information!

Which Electrolux oven do you have? I should probably get the extended warranty on those too.

For someone who doesn't cook or bake very much ---- would 2 Electrolux ovens suffice? I may bake cookies or cupcakes for kids parties or holidays. I may make lasagna or dishes like that once in awhile. But I do not cook a lot (although I'd like to do it more after the kitchen is done). I don't think I would have multiple things going at the same time.

We do use the oven a lot (pizza, pigs in blankets, pre-made frozen dishes, tater tots, chicken patties, things like that), just not for dishes made from scratch. I plan to do more of that, but it still wouldn't be as much as probably most of the people on these forums.

Thanks!

• wekick
    10 years ago

I have the regular Electrolux. I would definitely get an extended warranty for as long as possible, but make sure you read all the exclusions. Do you mean get a cook/range top and two wall ovens? I think you would be happy with the Electrolux in the way that it functions and it would be something that would meet your needs if you want to expand your repertoire in cooking. My only caveat is the enamel.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

which is better? Gas, Dual Fuel, or ?? ...kind of like asking "which is better? manual or automatic transmission?" Neither is better, it's what you prefer that makes the difference. I have an AG range, and would have nothing but. No bells or whistles, just a hot place to put food to cook. Some prefer the timers and controls, that's their preference.