Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fun2cook

Electrolux or Electrolux Icon ovens

fun2cook
13 years ago

Well I've finally made a decions on my oven (cooktop and hood still pending). I know I want an Electrolux, but not sure about Icon or not. I like the Icon Pro or non-Icon. Looking at the specs they seem to have same performance, Icon has more gliding racks. But another thing I saw is that non-Icon buts the oven seal around the door, while Icon puts it around the edge of the oven face. I noticed that the edges around the glass door of the icon aren't sealed, and may allow moisture or condensation between the glass. What are the benefits or problems with either design?

Comments (6)

• wallycat
    13 years ago

I am not positive, but I believe Icon has convection and the "regular" one does not.

• cj47
    13 years ago

I made this decision recently and went with the "regular". The Icons were quite a bit shallower than the non-Icons, which was a deal breaker for me. I think it was about an inch and a half. The non-Icons do have convection. I can't speak to the issue of the seals. There is currently a rebate going on the E'lux appliances, BTW

Cj

• fun2cook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I decided to go with the non-Icon also. For some inexplicable reason the Icon is more shallow. The only other difference I could see is that the Icon gives you more extension racks, and of course styling differences. Personally I prefer the styling on the non-Icon, and I don't need that many extension racks. On the non-Icon, both ovens are convection. The baking, broiler, and convection watts were the same for Icon and non-Icon. At least one decision is done.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I went with the non-icon, but that is mostly because I wanted white appliances.

However there wasn't much different between the two for functionality. I love the wave touch controls, and both my ovens have all the features (convection, proofing cycle, dehyrdrating cycle etc).

I never checked the different on interior size, but my new Electrolux is actually bigger inside than my old convection range, by about 1/2" deeper.

I've had mine installed since March - and love all the neat things I can do with my new ovens.

Cathy

• time4tea
    13 years ago

I went to another appliance store and found that the Icon and the non-Icon are probably the same size (or almost the same). The salesman at the store took out the non-Icon rack and put it into the Icon oven (on top of the Icon rack). As you would expect, the non-Icon rack overhung the Icon rack by about an inch--matches fun2cook's rack measurement. The surprising thing was that even with the non-Icon rack sticking out over the other, I could still close the Icon door. In fact there was at least 1/2 inch additional clearance between the rack and the door. The clearance on the Non Icon (w/ the larger racks) was not as generous. The salesman surmised that they made the Icon racks shorter b/c of the glass doors--to ensure nothing would hit the door and crack the glass. So I think that the Icon and nonIcon cavities are the same size--it's just that the racks are different sizes. You could probably have a pan in the Icon oven that overhangs the rack by an inch and you'd still be okay.

A difference that I didn't realize for a while is with the design of the glass on the doors. The non-Icon has black inprint of a screen on it. Most of the glass on oven doors are like this. Hard to put into words. It probably hampers visibility a bit, but helps to hide any food splatters. The Icon has glass that's almost crystal clear. So all drips will show. But it's probably better for viewing food as it's being cooked.

I sometimes use my oven to store extra pans or to dry them. With the Icon's clear glass doors--the pans would be very visible. And I'm not that quick to clean drips and splatters. The non-Icon will be more forgiving of drips and will hide any pans stored inside. Since my oven will be in a pretty visible location and at eye level, I opted for the non Icon.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else trying to figure out the differences between the 2.

• zbc540man_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Those were very succinct comments you made, comparing the Icon vs non-Icon ovens. I just called Electrolux 's tolll free number, and was appalled by their response. The icon is "professional"..the other is not. But identical, she said. I asked what specifically was different; she had no idea. After I asked for another rep, and waited on hold for 5 minutes, I hung up. Bought the non-icon 27" double convection w/wave and install is next week. Hope it all works as well as most people indicate. :)