Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Miele warming drawer: temperature question

Posted by Ott2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 22:57

Hi,
This may be a silly question, but...
The Miele warming drawer specification notes a temperature range of 104-185. IRL, can you decrease the warming drawer temperature via the control panel to something less than 104? I am wondering if the Miele warming drawer can be used to proof bread. I've never proofed bread before (successfully), but it's on my bucket list of things I want to do in my new kitchen!
Whatever warming drawer we choose will be integrated with a panel, and our cabinets are full-overlay slab.
Thanks, Ott2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Miele warming drawer: temperature question

For the newer miele warming drawer, the temp range is 104F-185F. So, 104F is their LOWEST setting. Since this is not really a cooking instrument, I will not put too much of my money on how accurate those temperature is, or how well it holds that temperature with time.

There are people who uses warming drawer to proof dough. It's even listed in the miele manual. For proofing dough, you should set it to the lowest setting (104F), and "allow the dough to proof for approx. 30mins or when it double its size"

My miele combi steam oven also has its own proofing program, which the default is set at 85F.

Basically, there is not a set temperature when it comes to proofing dough, and it varies depends on what kind of bread, and texture you want to achieve. Some dough are proof in the fridge (for a cold/delay/slow proof), some at room temp, but most bread for yeast dough are proof "ideally" at 85F-100F, that's when the yeast are most active.

so 104F is not too far off.

I hope that answers your question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here