Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurageo1

Kitchenaid Pro Line Discontinued

Laurageo1
12 years ago

I contacted KA the other day to find out if I could get the Pro Line handles on an Architect 27" single built in wall oven. The woman told me 1) no, the handles don't fit, and 2) they are discontinuing the Pro Line. Has anyone heard this? I really like the "pipe" handles and am having a hard time finding a brand that has the handles we like. I can get the Architect oven and matching fridge (FD CD), but really prefer the pipe handles. I think they look more streamlined.

We are also considering the Jenn-Air fridge and they do have the handles we like. They also have the oven w/the matching handles, but I cannot find any info, good or bad, on the JA oven.

We are also considering getting a fridge without a matching oven, but they will be right next to each other and I at least want the handles to match/be similar. Is that silly?

What do do?

Comments (13)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

If I'm understanding this right, the Architect series pro line was discontinued, and the new architect II series is starting to come out with the pro line. Yes?

I much prefer KA's pro handles to their regular. I'm disappointed that the bottom freezer, single door fridge isn't available with the pro handles.

• sophie123
    12 years ago

Are the oven and fridge going to be right next to each other? Make sure the open oven door won't be in the way of the fridge door else you'll get a nice big dent in your new fridge.

My cabinetmaker recommended getting stainless steel appliances (no panels) except for when 2 stainless steel appliances are right next to each other (unless they are identical like 2 ovens side by side) because it looks overwhelming and patchworky and hard to match. Just something else to consider besides the handles.

I have the GE monogram advantium with pro handles. Not installed yet but they are really nice so i understand your wanting them!

• Laurageo1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses. They do have to go right next to each other b/c of our space limitations. We are considering the Dacor, but it is a bit more than we wanted to spend. I also just found out the JA 27" doesn't come in the Pro Style. Elux handles are nice, but I'm not crazy about how much black is on their ovens. I wish it was more SS. I've heard good things about the ovens, but not much about the fridge. Ugh, so many decisions. I feel like I'm going in circles and not getting any closer to deciding.

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

The Whirlpool marketing machine has got this going... kitchenaid pro models are NOTHING but regular appliances wiht thicker handles. Having said that you can get PRO handles on most KA appliances and make them "pro". There are little to no other differences, the quality or workmanship are the same.

• joyce721
    12 years ago

We are in the same position. I like the look of the pro-handles and getting them on appliances without spending too much has been challenging. @ Laurageo1, I agree with you about the E-Lux double ovens having too much black. We are upgrading to the E-Lux Icon double oven instead of the 'regular' one b/c it has more SS/less black and in our new layout, the ovens will be very visible. More money, but the features are also more to our liking. We are going with the E-Lux fridge b/c all-around features appeal and it will be closely placed to the ovens, but have nixed the E-Lux DW (too much bad press) in favor of KA. Thanks, jsmith, I will definitely look into the possibility of substituting Pro handles on a KA non-pro line' dishwasher.

• Laurageo1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jmith - Unfortunately, we can't get the pro handles on the oven we are looking at. They don't make them for the 27" per KA. IMO, the pro handles just look so much more upscale.

We are getting a panel ready KA DW, so we'll get our own handle to match our cabinets. The range/oven combo will be on a different wall, so it doesn't have to match. We are considering Bluestar, Capital, Wolf and Dacor range/oven combos.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

The KA pro handles are much different than their regular handles. I dislike the regular ones because they curve. It's silly, I know. I just prefer straighter, cleaner lines. The pro handles are clean and straight. I don't care about how thick they are, just that they're straight. Apparently, I'm not the only one. :)

• bonesoda
    12 years ago

@Laurageo1: Unfortunately none of the wall ovens can take the pro handles.

• sskit
    12 years ago

Take a look at Jenn-Air Pro Style. We just ordered new appliances for kitchen remodeling and I got a great deal on them with packages they are overing. For less than $10,000 including sales tax, delivery, installation & 2 year warranty got 36" pro style range, Pro style dishwasher, pro style french door fridge, 30" pro style wall oven and 36" chimney vent (this was zephyr). DW, installation, 2nd year warranty were free and fridge had $300 rebate.

• mjvbryan
    12 years ago

I have the same situation with the fridge and double ovens next to each other. I chose the KA Pro-Line FD counter depth fridge and the Electrolux Icon double ovens. Their handles are similar. My sales rep moved the fridge to where the ovens were displayed so I could see them together. Looked good.

• rissylove
    12 years ago

I am having the same issue! I need a couner depth french door fridge, double wall oven (right next to each other), microwave, dishwasher, warming drawer and trash compactor. I prefer the pro handles as well. I thought I had settled on the electrolux icon but then found out that there is no internal water dispensor (prefer this to external) and am back at square 1! I'm intrigued about the kitchenaid proline FD fridge next to the ICON wall ovens...both my favorite appliances bu far but wasn't sure how the stainless and handles would look right next to each other...

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

The Electrolux Icon professional ovens have very little black - mostly stainless. That is why we are getting them as opposed to the standard electrolux line. Don't know if they are in budget but they look great and get the same great reviews.

I wish I knew more about the GE Cafe - any pictures out there?