Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stovetop popcorn maker for induction cooktop

Posted by strayer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 22:18

Hi, we make popcorn on the stove using an aluminum popcorn pot with a turn-stile thingy on top, given to us as a wedding gift 20 yrs ago. It is not magnetic. I have made the switch to induction. We use this pot almost everyday, so need to replace it. Is there a brand that makes one that is magnetic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stovetop popcorn maker for induction cooktop

Ours is stainless, the 'back-to-basics' one. Just got it at a yard sale recently. Makes the best popcorn! It seems they may be out of business but not sure. Others are available in stainless.
Here is one...
(might call first to see if they pass the magnet test before ordering)

Here is a link that might be useful: stainless popcorn kettle

o

If you order the Lindy's, please report on how you like it. It seems like the only option.

I currently use a Farberware pot on my induction stove for popcorn but it is kind of making the pot turn nasty looking.

o

Stir Fry - I thought induction did not discolor the outsides of your pans? I'm seriously considering induction right now and I have beautiful shiny stainless pans and liked the aspect that they would stay beautiful. I am wrong about this?

o

I've had an Emerilware pot/pan set that I use on my induction.
It is cladded panware, and after 4 years, the stainless on it still looks as new.

As far as popcorn goes, strayer, You can buy a stainless steel adapter plate, that sits atop the hob, and that way you can use your old pop corn maker, or for that matter any pot/pan, aluminum, glass, copper ---or whatever.

It won't be as efficient as using a regular ss pot/pan but it should do fine for the popcorn.

Gary

o

deb -- I am talking about the inside of the pans. I have to use an SOS pan to get them clean from the hot oil.

o

@stir-fryi --- be careful with the SOS pad. OVer time it can remove the s/s finish and get down to the aluminum core. Not a problem if you don't mind your food touching it. BKF works better and is gentler; not as abrasive.

o

I bought the cook N home 6.5qt ss popcorn popper from amazon. I had the aluminum one as well and loved it. This one is a little larger than my old one and is heavier. There are reviews on amazon that say they have had trouble with the gears, but I never have. For $30 it works just fine on my induction range.

o

So we could keep using our aluminum Whirlypop, I bought a cast-iron comal made by Lodge to use as the "adaptor plate" on my induction range. While it did work, I've only done it a few times as the experience was less than satisfactory. The popcorn took much longer to pop, and the paper towel I put under the comal (which I do all the time under cast iron) scorched so badly that it stuck to the cooktop and it took repeated applications of elbow grease to remove the scorched gunk. Maybe the stainless steel plate would be more effective?

I miss my Whirlypop! Berner43, thanks for the heads-up on the brand you use.

o

I just bought the cook n home from Amazon to be delivered next week. It was about $14 cheaper than the Lindys and I couldn't seem to figure out what the difference between the two is.

o

Tried the cook n home popper tonight -- it made great popcorn -- 2 T oil and 1/2 C kernels. That is less oil than I use when I make it in a pot.

The biggest challenge was keeping the thing on the burner while turning the handle -- it was sliding all over.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get the lid off for cleaning (very poor instructions).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here