Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unixisgoodforyou

excess flow gas valve and bluestar range

unixisgoodforyou
11 years ago

Hi,

I'm not sure if this should go in the Appliance forum or in the Plumbing forum...

I am interested in installing an excess flow gas valve for my yet-to-arrive 30" BlueStar range from Costco. Has anyone installed one? Which model did you choose?

The concept seems like a good idea. If there is excess flow above x BTU, it will restrict flow. Depending on the model, it might require a minimum BTU to operate.

I did a search on GW, but didn't get any good hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: SafetyPlus pdf

Comments (9)

• alexrander
    11 years ago

I put in such a valve on my Bluestar. All I remember is that it was brass and had a rating on it. I live in the bay area and thought it would be a good idea -

It's sort of redundant now because I put in a large Earthquake valve on the main gas line into the co-op apartment building we live in.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

I got BrassCraft CSSC22E-36 P for my Culinarian.

It is 5/8" OD, 36" length for Pro-Grade Range or Furnace.

Rated for appliances between 75K-125k btu.

Remember to include the oven btu's.

(15x3)+ 10 + 30 = 85

• unixisgoodforyou
    Original Author
    11 years ago

deeageaux: I noticed yours is rated at 75K-125k btu. The spec sheet says the min flow capacity is 75k BTU.

Does it your stove still work when you have just one burner turned on? (I can't get my head around the min 75k BTU number and the words min flow capacity.)

Thanks for the reminder about the oven BTUs. Would there ever be a time when you have the oven and the broiler on at the same time? It seemed unlikely. I couldn't find an example.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I got the brass craft kit in 1/2 inch from Lowe's to hook up my 5 burner Frigidaire gas range with convection oven. it works fine with mine. don't matter if I have one burner on or the oven and several burners at once.

• elyash
    11 years ago

Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area. Can someone explain WHY and IF an excess flow valve is needed? I have had gas ranges for many years and unless the installer automatically installed an excess flow gas valve, I assume I do not have one. As I will be replacing a GE range with a BS or CC (as soon as I can decide which), I would like to know if this is necessary. Is this an essential safety measure with open burners? I do understand its purpose having read the link. However, in emergency situations isn't the main gas line shut off?

• alexrander
    11 years ago

Avidchef, I live in earthquake area.. So if the range slide out across the floor, and the flexible gas line tore off, the excess flow valve would keep gas from escaping into my kitchen.

I would venture than almost no one installs these things. Most of the people who live around here don't even know what they are.

As I mentioned, I also had a large earthquake safety gas valve installed outside where the gas line enters the building. It's got a large stainless ball bearing in it- almost the size of a tennis ball. Anything over 5.4 and the gas to the building shuts off.

• alexrander
    11 years ago

I think some folks who posted here are getting the flex hose that goes from the solid gas piping to the range, mixed up with the excess flow safety valve. They are two different things.

• deeageaux
    11 years ago

Does it your stove still work when you have just one burner turned on? (I can't get my head around the min 75k BTU number and the words min flow capacity.)

Yes, I can simmer with only one burner on.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I don't know how long these things have been out but the range I put in a rental 5years ago has one It came in a kit with the flex hose
    Months ago when I put my new range in I got the same kit at lowes on York Pa. I don't know if it's new code maybe it is in some areas where I am code is that a valve be near the appliance. My valve is in the basement just under where the range is located. So I put the excess flow valve behind the range. It is supposed to reduce the gas flow to a safe level if the flex hose bursts or gets ripped off for any reason like earth quake or someone pulling it out to far for cleaning