Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garbage disposals that work with a deep sink

Posted by Marion13 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 22:11

Trying to install the new batch feed cover control Insinkerator. My new sink is ten inches deep undermount and my contractor said the drain for the garbage disposal has to be higher. Right now the center of the drain is 7 inches below the sink and needs to be at 5 inches. Are there any garbage disposals that would work with a deeps sink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garbage disposals that work with a deep sink

We have a Waste King 8000 installed below a 10" deep undermount sink. Works perfectly for years now.
I mean, I can feed it corn cobs and chicken bones and it doesn't break stride. Pretty quiet, too.

o
RE: Garbage disposals that work with a deep sink

The problem is that the height of your drain pipe above the floor is too high and needs to be lowered. This will require tearing into the wall behind the sink. I would add that the Insinkerator Evolution has a drain slightly lower than the older Insinkerator models, so that is an additional height loss.

I have an Evolution mounted to a sink that is 10-inches below the countertop surface. The disposer drain barely adapts to a normal trap connected to what I believe is a standard height drain pipe. Although there are limits to how low the trap weir can can be (2 feet max below the basin, so below the floor is too low), I am unaware of any code requirement for a particular point of exit at the wall. I suspect that the height normally set by plumbers is intended to provide maximum space on the cabinet base surface.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here