Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Water Heater Smell.....

Posted by appdude (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 21:58

One January 3 2013 we got a new tankless water heater. it was installed by reliance home comfort and it was a rheem condensing tankless water heater. Just today our neighbor came to complain, they said that when ever we pass by the left side of the fence while the water heater is running we smell a lot of gas. out old tank one did not do that. is this a serious issue? or is it normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Water Heater Smell.....

We had a tankless water heater and it was inside the house over the washer/dryer. You could smell the gas when it first ignited but after that no. And outside you could not smell gas at all. I would contact the installer and have it checked out....I am thinking it is not normal. What do you have on the left side of your house? Is it the gas container or pipe for the water heater? I would have someone out to check on it.....either the heater installer or the gas company.

o

Smelling lots of gas is never going to be normal (since you smell the unburned stuff, not the burned)--get it checked! (OK, I'm somewhat stunned it took your neighbors 6 months to mention this, but maybe they didn't notice 'till the good weather came? Me, I'm against my neighbors houses going boom...)

o

My washer and dryer are upstairs ^^ not in the basement. Here is the setup. The water heater is located at the far right side of the house. The as you see in the picture, the tubes are also in the right, the left is the fence.

This post was edited by appdude on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 19:07

o

Those pipes ONLY take in combustion air dispel water vapor along with combustion gases - which is not unused nat gas. Those things are also around 95% efficient , so there is not a lot of waste going out of the pipe.

I don't think it's possible to smell NG from those pipes !

Do you smell gas when it's running ?

BTW - how do they know when it's running anyway ? In the winter they could see the vapor discharge when running - but that's something entirely different.

Where does your gas line enter the house ?

o

the gas line and gas meter are at the left side of the house. and we just smelled it and it made me feel like barfing. but by the smell it is NOT normal. the installers are coming to check it over tomorrow and if they say thats normal, were calling the gas company.. well i will update you guys soon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here