Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffreyem_gw

Hood Recomendation for Blue Star 48' range top

jeffreyem
15 years ago

Blue Star seems to be the only company that doesn't make an accompanying hood to go with their cook tops. Looking for a wall mount 1000+ CFM easy to clean, warming lamps, external blower, etc. Suggestions, thoughts? Vent-a-hood? who else? do I look at one of the other manufacturers hoods, Wolf, Capital, FiveStar?

Comments (19)

• clinresga
    15 years ago

This is a recurring question on this forum. Tons of great discussion about hoods accessible with a search.

Quick answer: at least 54'' hood, with over 1000 cfm flow, 10'' ducting. Most folks prefer baffled systems, though there are diehard VAH fans out there as well. Any decent high end vent company will offer you all the options you want in terms of lighting, warming, and blower choice.

Ideal blower option: in general opinions here run towards remote mounted blowers, either in attic or on roof.

In general I think the best hood manufacturers are dedicated hood companies, not hoods sold by range companies. Some, like some Wolfs, are made by these companies anyway. Popular hood manufacturers include Prestige, Independent, Modern Aire, Metallo Arts. Other popular options include Broan, Kobe, and of course VAH for those who like the "squirrel cage" approach.

Do spend some time looking at prior threads as you will get much more detailed information. Here's one:

Range Hood Decision time

• jeffreyem
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did a search under Hood recomendations nothing came up, what should I use as a key word?

• fandlil
    15 years ago

I suggest that you look at the Broan product line. They've been around for a long time, are highly respected, and have recently issued new styles. They also have a lot of good options for remote motor intallation.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

jeffreyem: You're searching with too specific a term. GW search is unfortunately not as smart as Google. Try searching just the word "Hood". I got 378 hits just now, most of which look useful. Then, to hone down, you could search for specific manufacturers (i.e. "hood Prestige").

Then you'll have to just peruse them. Once you have the basics down, then it is very helpful to post specific questions to this thread, as for some strange reason there is a large cadre of folks on this forum obsessed with hood ventilation.

• slackim
    15 years ago

clinresga,

I am looking at a 54" hood for a 48" DCS range or rangetop with the 26k griddle. My appliance dealer ws steering me towards VAH - as being only a hood manufacturer, more efficient than the others, and not a remote blower. You seem to be against those recommendations so I would love to hear your thoughts - could really use some guidance as I just do not know much about them other than I need one. I need a quiet one since kitchen is open fully to living room; I need an effective one as I cook a lot on the stove top; and finally, I need an affordable one.

Thanks for all opinions.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

slackim:
    I think overall that the "GW consensus" is clearly in favor of baffled hoods using remote blowers. I can speak to the VAH from our experience with a 36'' 600 cfm hood liner. It's rather noisy (can't make casual conversation near it if it's on high, definitely have to raise voice). I am not convinced the "squirrel cage" blower concept is all it's cracked up to be. In particular I don't see that thair claim of 50% greater efficiency is well proven. Searing on a 15K Dacor cooktop will definitely lead to smoke overflow. Finally there is the issue of cleanup. If you search GW for VAH hoods, you'll see a long thread about problems with this. In particular one poster found that the paint on the cage enclusure peeled off when he used a DW to clean it (per VAH recommendations) and then it rusted out. Based on this I've elected to hand wash the unit, which is a royal PITA vs dumping some baffles into the DW. Other gripes: limited to only three speeds, versus the infinitely variable controls on others. No custom size options as with manufacturers like Modern Aire.

Most appliance dealers push VAH because that's the only one they sell IMHO. I would strongly suggest you look at some of the other hood-only manufacturers as noted above. I would insist on a remote blower: higher cfm available and clearly a much quieter option, esp with a silencer like the Fantech LD. No contest from noise standpoing.

I think you're right going to at least a 54'' hood. Add a remote blower of at least 1100-1200 cfm and a silencer and that's optimal. Now---"affordable"--that may influence this, but I think you'll find products like I'm suggesting to be at least in the same ballpark from a cost standpoint and to use the standard GW line, investing a bit more now will give you a kitchen you'll enjoy for many years.

• kealoha
    15 years ago

We've ordered a 48" Blue Star range w/griddle and have yet to order our hood. We have a situation where we might be able to purchase very inexpensively either a Gaggenau island or wall mount hood both 42", with CFM 645 and 450 respectively. We're in Hawaii and our kitchen will be open to lanai and will have lots of windows. Is there anyway one of these might work?

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Clinresga summed it up pretty well from all aspects. Maybe one other manufacturer not mentioned is Abakka and I do not necessarily suscribe to the notion that range manufacturers' hoods are less desireable but certainly the makes offered do cover top providers.

Most on GW agree as to sizing (or oversizing) of capture area but there are diverse opinions as to required or ideal CFMs. My theory is that you can always turn down what you have but you cannot turn up what you don't have. I alos prefer the baffle system and HIGHLY recommend in-line or external blowers.

Search the manufacturers offered up here, talk to your dealer and match up the unit that looks and works best with your unit.

• chad_c
    15 years ago

I'm in the same boat now... I bought a 48" RNB, which came with a 48" wide high shelf / backguard. If I put a 54" hood over it, will that look funny right over the 48" backguard? Does anyone have a picture of a kitchen done like that? Or am I OK to get a 48" hood, but with a 1200CFM blower?

• sporthill
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information - questions and answers - on these forums. As someone pointed out, it is hard to know exactly what to do in each case, even after extensive reading on GW.
    If anyone has the patience, maybe they could help me.
    I am about to order a Blue Star 48", 4 burner/grill and griddle range. The plan for our new kitchen in our renovated house shows 48" for a hood. Would I be ok with a 48" hood with a 900cfm blower? We don't want an external blower and we don't want to use up cabinet space for a 54" hood unless we have to. Our most smoke-producing activity would be grilling meat.
    Thanks for any advice.

• constant__gardener
    15 years ago

Bluestar does make there own hoods and you would for sure want to go with the 1200 CFM blower. If not Broan or Best are very reliable and well acclaimed. There are several hood manufactureers out ther the key is to make sure you get adequate CFM and with a Bluestar any bigger than a 30" you should go with a 1200 CFM blower.

• sporthill
    15 years ago

Thanks Constant Gardener. We are going with a 1200 cfm. Now I'm worried because our contractor says it can only have an 8 inch duct instead of 10 inch which will make it noisier and less effective. I wonder if I will be writing about it in the "Things you wish you had done differently" thread!

• rlane
    15 years ago

Watch out putting 8" duct work with a 1200 cfm. My guy told me that there would not be enough air flow causing the 1200 motor to be restricted and burn out prematurely. Better find out 1st.

• sporthill
    15 years ago

Our new solution is a 9x9 inch square duct. Modern Aire says anything over 80 square inches is good. But now I'm worried about not having a fresh air intake or whatever it's called. That seems too confusing and complicating to add at this point, so I guess we will open a window if nec. Plus it is a very big kithcen...

• dcunited_2009
    15 years ago

BlueStar does make there own hoods!!! Available in 190 colors (as with their ranges). The blowers are purchased from a very good source (ryhmes with Loan). The BlueStar hoods include two sets of baffle filters (front and back). They have a VERY GOOD fit and finish. I would reccommend a 54" hood over a 48" rangetop (although not mandatory). The NUMBER ONE item of importance is capture area.....the bigger the better. CFM is second and 900-1200cfm is ideal depending on the amount of burners/griddle/grill in use. BlueStar has a 1200cfm INTERNAL blower only at this time. External blowers are 60-90 days out. Good Luck!

• sporthill
    15 years ago

Thanks. I looked briefly at the Blue Star hoods but they seemed awfully expensive compared to the Modern Aire and the Independent. I think I'll check again, though.
    Now we are settled on a 9-inch round duct for the 1200 CFM, and 48-inch wide. Plus it won't quite reach to the front of the range.

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

Here is a vote to look hard at Abbaka. We put one of their liners in our vacation house with a 1200 cfm external blower and it is fantastic. Our regular house has a VAH. no comparision. Make sure you get the variable speed controls and watch where they are. We bought the Abbaka based on their location (easy access). I have heard but cannot confirm that Modern-Aire buys their external motors from Abbaka. My experience would be to look hard at Abbaka and Modern-Aire and no not believe you can go wrong with either choice.

Here is a link that might be useful: abbaka web site

• clinresga
    15 years ago

I agree totally with salmon--both are great companies.

MA does not sell blowers under their own name. When I was discussing options with Jeff Herman there, the two he recommended were the Abbaka external and the Fantech inline. We almost went with the Abbaka til my contractor objected to going out onto our steep roof to install so we have the Fantech.

Of note, many companies (including Abbaka) purport to sell inline blowers under their own name. Almost all of them are just rebadged Fantetch blowers. If you see the characteristic round blue fan in their picture, it's a Fantech.

• peterf
    15 years ago

has anyone any experience with PROLINE Range hoods, based in Utah? I am considering a purchase from them. Their hood seems of excellent quality and far cheaper than Prestige.