Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snvyas

What is cheapest 48' built in refrigerator?

snvyas
11 years ago

We are building a new house and after alot of soul searching (and alot of research on this forum) we have decided on splurging for a built in. A standard depth one won't work as we have a small kitchen set against an exterior wall. A counter depth 36" KA was in the running until we realized that it just wasn't big enough for our family. So we have decided to go with a 48" built in both for size and looks.

We were originally going with the Thermador 48" side by side and the price we were quoted is $8800. With the free range promotion you could say we were getting ~$1500 off so it makes it $7300. We also found like the Kenmore Pro 48" even though it doesn't have as many features as the Thermador but next week it's going to be $6200 at Sears and if we open a credit card it will knock 10% off making it $5600.

We are open to any brand as we have come to see that pretty much any built in will be a good refrigerator. Also we are open to getting it online as well but want a brand new one or at the very least a factory reconditioned one. Even ebay doesn't have them cheaper than $7000. Anyway, any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• philwojo
    11 years ago

Don't know about cheapest but my wife and I are going to get a Liebherr 48" (two 24" units) and the cost is around $7,000. The brand is very comparable to Sub-Zero, or at least in my opinion it is, others may disagree on that though. Check out there web site and see if you can find any to look at. They offer dual compressors like a SZ which I personally also really like.

Phil

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

When we got our 42" KA built-in in June 2007, it was pretty much the same unit as the Thermador (or was it Jenn Air?), with different "finishing touches" (handles, shelf edging, door shelves, water/ice dispenser...). The KA fridge was a lot less $, for practically the identical fridge.

We did have to have some some service and parts replaced in/on the ice/water dispenser, but that's apparently not uncommon across different manuf. and models with ice/water dispensers.

We are pretty happy with our KA. I don't know if it's the fridge itself or ???, but I do have difficulty keeping lemons without them "going bad" (moldy) quicker than I'd like (might have happened in our old fridge, too--I don't remember how quickly it happened in that one). Everything else keeps very well.

• snvyas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Right now we are still leaning towards the Kenmore Pro but found a 48" KA that is panel ready and will find out how much our builder will charge to put the panels on...

• snvyas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, we did look at the Liebherr but need a 30" for the fridge part.

• User
    11 years ago

In my experience, they are all pretty expensive! We are looking for a built-in / panel-ready counter depth (sorry if I don't know all my terms correctly) 48" side by side (I prefer these to French door). We got quoted approx $8300 for the sub-zero, $6700 for the Kitchen-aid. GE monogram I think was up around the $8000s.
    I was told Liebherr only does the columns now, and I couldn't see them in person. I called for prices at Sears and the ones they offered (Jenn-air maybe) were in the same ballpark ($6500-$8000+ range). I liked the fact that I could see the Sub-zero in person and can get it serviced by the same dealer I buy it from and I feel like there are more reviews on them in general to be found (some negative, but lots of glowing reviews also). So we will most likely be going with the Sub-zero. Having produce last a long time is my biggest "want" in a frig, so hopefully the Sub will live up to expectations.