Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dishwasher Utensil Basket

Posted by napabill (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 21:25

We have a 4 year old Kitchenaid dishwasher. My wife was recently told by one of her "expert" friends that you should load utensils with handles up to better clean and sterilize the business end of the utensils. I suggested that that sound like a bunch of hooey as evidenced by 4 years of perfectly cleaned utensils. But I'm the husband which means my thoughts are of little value. I also noted that because the business ends of the utensils were larger than the handle ends, it would make loading and unloading said utensils difficult. Are there any real experts out there that would comment?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dishwasher Utensil Basket

Largely personal preference. A factor that may have some bearing is if fork tines, knife points and such may protrude through the basket enough to block the spray arm.

Also, as a matter of safety, knives and forks loaded business end up have a potential for accidents ... so business end down is reasonable in that regard.

o

Not an expert by any means, however there some more obvious pros and cons to the different methods of loading utensils.

Loading with the handles up & business ends down:

-can result in overcrowding at the base of the basket and can allow dirty utensils to "spoon" together both of which often results in inadequately cleaned utensils

-unloading the utensils becomes more sanitary as you are grabbing the handles vs. the business end of the utensils to remove them from the basket

Loading with the handles down & business ends up:

-more room for stacking and spray angles of the business end and less chance of "spooning" of utensils

-unloading becomes less sanitary as you are grabbing the business end of the utensils to remove the utensils from the basket

It would seem that no matter how they're loaded, they would get a pretty equal amount of water spray and detergent cleaning/sanitizing When you take the potential for overcrowding & "spooning" out of the equation.

Hope this helps!

o

Mixing different utensils in each section, and positioning the lower part of similar utensile with something else between them or at opposite corners, also will prevent spooning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here