Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

kitchen reno newbie - range, fridge, wall ovens, oh my

lmgch
9 years ago

we have just reviewed a first round of plans from our architect to do a much-needed reno of our kitchen.

the plans currently allow for a 36" range, 48" fridge and 30" double wall ovens.

I'm totally at a loss for where to even begin. with regard to a range, i've never cooked on anything other than gas, but am intrigued by induction.

the fridge is DH's focus - for whatever reason, he seems to want a "fancy" fridge. i'm not even sure what that means :/

anyway, i hope some of you can tolerate this sadly vague post for help and chime in with kitchen appliances you have/love, and why.

we're also intending for a microwave drawer, and of course in need of a great dishwasher.

so, if you can help a girl out, i would so appreciate it. (extra, bonus appreciation for thoughts on range options re: gas vs. induction)

thank you, thank you

Comments (13)

• TwoBelles
    9 years ago

Hi, OP! Renos can be exhausting, but thankfully there are lots of experts on this forum that can help during the process. I imagine you will find more useful feedback if you can be more specific in your question. For example, after you have researched both gas and induction, asking for feedback on two different brands.

You will probably find it helpful to research "Gardenweb gas vs. induction" as a starting point. You will see a number of threads discussing this topic. I recently did some research on induction, as well, and you might want to look at the Thermador freedom unit (similar to the Gagg unit, but at a lower price point), the Wolf unit, and the Miele unit for comparison. Several companies also have "combi" units, which would allow you to choose an induction hob, a griddle hob and a steam basket, for example, in the same counter space. I'm assuming from your post that you mean a 36" range top instead of range, since you are doing double ovens?

HTH!

• philwojo99
    9 years ago

It would also help if you post what your cooking style is, meaning how many do you cook for, how often, what do you cook, what level do you consider yourself (Beginner, novice, full on chef). Do you entertain a lot, if so big parties, small?

How long will you be staying in this house?

Do you really need 2 30" wall ovens and a range? That is 3 full size ovens, might be overkill, might be just what you need.

What is your budge for appliances?
    Did you factor in a vent hood?
    What about a sink and faucet?
    Where is the range, on a wall in an island?
    Do you want all burners, a griddle or grill at all?
    Does it have to be a range or are you open to a cook top or range top?

There are many more questions, read up on this forum and post back you will get help.

Phil

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I've done some reading and I'm back. First, thank you for kindly indulging my vagueness thus far.

Based on rather extensive (exhausting) threads on gas vs induction, I think I would likely need to test out I suction but can say that unless I hate it, I think I'm leaning toward it. Re: set up, can anyone speak to the "freedom" configuration that allows cooking anywhere - at least that's what it seemed to offer based on a quick read of some different brand/model offerings.
    However, does such a setup ("freedom") mean you can no longer consider other features?

And yes, I'm sorry I did in fact mean a range top without accompanying oven.

And yes I definitely would love thoughts on sink and faucet.

As for other answers, I consider myself a professional mom-chef. Cook everyday and I'm definitely not a novice, nor am I a pro. I'm cooking for 4/5 usually. We host about 10 or so once a month on average. Plan to be I. This house at least until kids graduate high school and my youngest is just turning 2, so we've got awhile.

Proposed range location is on a wall, though I'd also LOVE feedback on proposed layout if that's feasible to ask. And yes there is plans for a 40" hood.

Re: budget, I'm open. I don't plan to do this again for a lonngg time, so I want the best quality we deem possible and necessary.

Again, thank you so much for helping me thus far!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I see no one answered your other questions. I'll summarize what tends to be the prevailing opinion on the other items:

48" built in: The Sub Zero is generally the choice. Your DH might love the glass front versions but they get pricey. For fully integrated paneled fridges, people also like Thermador and Liebherr.

DW: Miele is the usual choice, with Bosch (and the Bosch-built Thermador and Kenmore Elite) just behind. If you wanted heated drying, then get a KA (but check your cabinet depths)

MW: Any choice will do for the drawers -- built by Sharp. Match handles or finishes, because the guts are the same. Many of use are choosing to build in shelves or specialty cabinets to provide flexibility. I've found this is the first appliance to fail.

I personally still like gas, especially since I like to occasionally use a wok and don't want to go to the outside grill to char off some tomatoes. (Granted, I have not experienced the full powered built-in induction units, only the portables). Perhaps the best combination is to have both -- but today's all in one combos are a little underwhelming so you are talking extra space.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks so much, gooster.

follow-up re the MW - can you tell me more about the shelves/cabinets being built? wondering what flexibility is being achieved?

many thanks

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

I recently finished a new kitchen and I couldn't decide between gas and induction (was familiar with gas, and not sure about whether I'd like induction...) so I went with a Bertazzoni 36" combo cooktop -- 2 induction hobs, 3 gas hobs. The Bertazzoni is fine, but if I had a chance to do it again I'd go with a 36" induction -- I really love the induction -- always use that part of the cooktop and will use the gas only when I need more than two hobs or when I have a very big pot (induction hobs on the Bertazzoni are not large). Not only is the cooking experience better on induction, clean up is a breeze.

I have a 30" Electrolux wall oven -- like it very much, though I use my Miele speed oven far more often.

I have a Bosch 800 Plus D/W -- also like it very much -- long clean cycle, but it is super quiet and dishes are spotless.

For refrigeration I wanted a totally integrated look so was limited to a few choices -- went with a GE Monogram 30" along with KA double refrigerator drawers -- probably not enough freezer for most people, but works for us.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

I used a flip up door cabinet to hold a smaller GE Spacesaver MW. The cabinetry was custom made to hold a size larger than recommended, to allow different models to be used. I did this because I like the MW at eye height but didn't want to go with the regular built-in.

Some people install a small cubby below the counter.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Since you asked for views, I will say for the hundredth time how much I love my Bosch induction top, and it was not expensive. My kitchen designer pal says she is installing almost no gas ranges and that gas is over, from a design and utilitarian perspective, or will be in another 5 years as the US trails the EU. Young people want a sleek, clean look, and they demand energy efficiency.

I can highly recommend Bosch dishwashers but racks vary so look them over. Decide, too, if you want that upper third rack. I liked my old Bosch's racks better but no disputing the quiet cleaning power of a Bosch. We went with panel ready, so there's another decision for you. It adds weight to the door but I love the look.

Bosch ovens are excellent, too, and doubles are fab if your kitchen is large. I did not have room as I use a warming drawer a lot and my kitchen is small by GW standards. Too small for 2 large ovens + drawer. I was warned here to think carefully whether I really needed two, and to consider a Breville as backup, and boy has that worked well for me. (I roast a lot but rarely bake.) Our oven and WD are Electrolux Wave Touch - much beloved here -- and they are awesome. The WD will slow cook wonderfully. No comparison to my old KitchenAid

I thought I wanted the micro drawer for its looks but that required me to give up my cat food prep space. (Nooo!) So we stacked ours like gooster ( except lift up) and I love it. Here is a pic. But we use the micro once per day on average so where it was stationed didn't matter to us. YMMV. This does give flexibility in size and brand you can use since, as has already been pointed out here, micros fail alarmingly. Still, if you have space, or if your kids will be using the micro, go for the drawer, or are least something lower.

Fridge? Good luck. I hate mine. Electrolux. Everyone seems to hate their fridge. We went with a basic because all my friends with SZ spend their days waiting on the repairman. Seriously. My appliance guy, trustworthy, says get Liebherr. I don't know. Trust the folks here to guide you -- and study AJMadison.

Good luck!

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Another Bosch owner who is pleased with all of her appliances going on almost 3 yrs. so far. Mine are the 500 series induction cooktop and convection oven, and the 800 series dishwasher. My SxS counter depth Kitchen Aid fridge was about 3 yrs old when purchased used for the remodel. It also has been problem free so far. I'm doing some additional reno now and will be putting the mw into a wall cabinet, probably with a trim kit since mine sees frequent use. Good luck with your decisions and remodel. I know it's pretty overwhelming for anyone.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - that is one big fridge - I sure would not want glass as my fridge is not always "perfect" and don't want everyone seeing that it can be a mess (but sometimes it is perfect)

I have the Wolf 36 induction and it works great. The Freedom was not out at the time - it appears you have a large budget for appliances, so definitely take a look.

Induction is not totally quiet - but neither is gas - and with small kids around - induction is great - less chance of burns as the cooktop does not get as hot and cools much more quickly. The Wolf does not have separate timers but not sure if I would like that feature as sometimes I can't figure out which timer is beeping and I only have 4 options, not 8!

I do have the Elux fridge and mine has been great but mine is much smaller than what you planned.

For ovens - I have a Wolf full sized convection (it does both) and a GE 240 Advantium - which can be used as an oven, micro, warmer, or combination. Tonight, I baked my mac and cheese in it and it was perfect - the bread crumbs on top were browned and nice and bubbly. It works so much nicer than just a standard MW - I can even re-heat pizza relatively quickly and it comes out with a crunchy crust and tasty!

Not a great picture - but shows both ovens

• Gooster
    9 years ago

@Texasgal47: I'll share the reply here, to your question. We do feel the difference with the 800W GE Spacemaker. It's probably one appliance, that if we were to have fail, we would swap out with another brand. We made our space big enough to fit other MWs, and so a Sharp 1000W model will fit in the space just fine. If you think your MW will be open all the time, I might just go with the built-in and trim kit.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I didn't know about speed ovens when I started researching my reno, but that's the direction we've decided to go. We're getting a 30" Bluestar gas range and the ovens are cavernously big. The speed oven will give us an additional nice sized oven for the two of us, plus microwave. We're going with a Miele.

The microwave and it's placement seems to be the most often questioned aspect of floor plans and the one people are usually least thrilled with. And as many have said, they often fail. I'm hoping that by going with a nicer product to start, that won't be the case.

I really liked the Advantium too, but it can't be placed under a counter, so Miele it is. I learned of Smeg after I'd already made my decision, but I'd consider that too.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

We switched from gas to induction, an inexpensive Bosch and I LOVE it. I can't imagine going back to gas or electric. The dw is a Bosch also, I've tried others and always go back to Bosch. I wasn't sure if I would use it but I like the third rack for the flatware.
    Appliance salesman convinced me to go with a simple GE oven. He told me I would not find a model at any price that was sturdier or cooked better. He was right, this thing is great.
    I changed out a fairly new full sized Samsung fridge for a counter depth Electrolux and that was our only mistake, it is just flimsy and poorly made.

We went with a Franke Orca sink and Rohl Classic faucet and both have been great.