Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kurtzicus

Capital connoisseurian updates

kurtzicus
11 years ago

Anyone heard the latest on this?

Supposed to be in production in May right? May long gone...June almonst long gone, what's the scoop?

I sent an email to capital with no response. Seems like maybe they ran into production issues or just plain ran out of money, as it's not even listed on their website.

A mistake perhaps?

Comments (9)

• elyash
    11 years ago

I saw it at the architectural and design show in March. At that time, they said the earliest it would be available is June - so they have two weeks. I suspect as with any new product they are ironing out the kinks. I posted pictures of it after the show so if you want to see it, they are on this forum. I suggest calling Trevor Lawson at Eurostoves he probably has the most up to date info.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

Just got an email from Capital on several events they are doing with Dwell. Attached is a link they had in the email on the new range.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Connoiseurian

• wekick
    11 years ago

A couple of questions.
    from the above link.
    All primary ovens have Capital�s exclusive MoistRoast cooking feature that uses moisture, not steam, to produce perfect, moist roasting and baking,
    How do you do this? If you heat moisture, it becomes steam.

And for safety, the engineering staff tested the external temperature of a fully operational baking oven and found it to be up to 30ðF cooler-to-the-touch than many competitive models.
    If you tested it, why not just give the temperature? What does this sentence mean?

Convection Fan cooking for BAKE, BROIL, ROAST
    Sounds like no third element convection. I really don't see much benefit over a gas oven with this.

What is delicate bake?

• alexrander
    11 years ago

I'll make a stab at the 'moisture roast'- it's probably a reservoir you can fill with water that provides a limited amount of moisture as it evaporates. Yes, that's steam, but not the amount of steam to suggest steam cooking, or a 'steam oven' that one thinks of, like for example, a Turbo oven with hot jets of steam cooking the food. It looks like it's gravity fed.

There is a 3td heating element for convection. If you go to their website and look up the user manual for their wall ovens it all becomes clear

Here is a link that might be useful: Wall oven link - then hit 'user guide'

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

There is a demo video on the Capital website showing this moist roast feature. There is indeed a reservoir. It is located in the door and holds about 2 cups of water.

The website I pasted below takes you straight to the video if you are interested. The oven being demonstrated is a wall oven, not a range, but I assume the feature works the same way in both.

http://www.capital-cooking.com/page/capital-moist-roast

(Sorry I haven't figured out how to post a direct link.)

Sandra

• wekick
    11 years ago

The rolling racks look pretty easy to change. I wish they would have shown that a little more. One of the downsides to the rolling racks is changing them around.

As far as adding moisture when roasting, I don't see the point. It is the temperature to which the meat is cooked that will determine how much moisture the the meat will have no matter the cooking method.
    Serious Eats Food Lab's Food Myths
    The roasts "looked" the same in the video.
    Interesting she did not use convection and she did not mention letting the meat rest.

If you greatly increase humidity, there has been one study that shows it may take longer to cook a boneless chicken breast at very low temps. The benefit is that you are less likely to overshot the end point. They also cooked chicken breasts at 350 degrees with high humidity but while the humid oven took longer to get the chicken breast to temp, they weighed them and they both lost the same amount of water. They didn't mention the weights on the chicken cooked at very low temps.

The whole idea of roasting is dry heat. Convection is added to promote drying of the skin which leads to crispiness, one of the benefits of roasting.

Also your oven would be 95% cleaner with moist heat? Where/how did they get that number?

Some of the things they try to pass off as science with some of the videos I've seen, makes me really think twice about anything they say. They just seem kind of smoke and mirrors sometimes. Why not be straightforward and give the temperature mapping of your door? To me it distracts from what would be some of the great features of their products.

Here is a link that might be useful: moist roasting video

• alexrander
    11 years ago

People who bake bread often try to find a way to get moisture in the oven to help develop the crust. So this may help.

And whether it's just a myth, people have also reported that gas ovens (that give off moisture) produce roasts that are different than dry electric heat...Although I was under the impression that it had more to do with the crust and not the flesh- . That is that the water molecules would cook the surface faster than air and IR radiation. Granted, I could not see any difference in the two roasts cooked on the Capital video.

I also think it's possible that some slight moisture on the walls of the oven might make it easier to wipe out spills and splatters. All just speculation on my part.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I agree that the video I linked is not particularly convincing.The presenter doesn't let the roasts rest, they both look the same on the outside and on the inside when sliced--and she doesn't even say, ''OOOHHH, this one is SOOO much better!!'' I suspect (and hope) the video may not be on Capital's website too much longer before it is revised to include more specific info.

But the video does show the mechanism for producing the moist roast feature, which, as alexr says, might be really useful in some baking and might counter the dry heat issue that causes some bakers to choose gas instead of electric.

As with all new features, we need more hands-on reviews.

Really glad to know the range will offer a choice of open or sealed burners, not just the latter, which I had heard. And the rotisserie system, which I very much want.

Sooo--lookin' promising. Maybe I'm glad I have had to wait to buy my OTR, the CC, which may stand for Capital Connoisseurian instead of Capital Culinarian.

• wekick
    11 years ago

For baking, it requires steam for the first part of baking as explained here. Capital makes a point of moistroast not being steam.
    steam and baking bread

There may not be as much humidity as you would think in a gas oven. Gas oven require a lot more air moving through for ventilation and by the time the air is heated it reduces the relative humidity. I have never noticed much difference between gas and electric results(25 years with a gas oven and 25 years with electric) at least with my ovens.

They are marketing "moistroast" as a way to keep roasts moist. My point though is even if you submerge your roast in water or steam a roast the external moisture will have no effect of the meat retaining the water. It is all about temperature. Crispiness or crust is diminished by adding moisture. Convection by it's drying action makes a very crispy crust.