Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygannon

Looking for Electrolux and Bosch double wall oven Reviews

gabbygannon
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to this forum and was looking for some wise advice on double wall ovens. We currently have 22 year old 27 inch GE Profile double wall ovens that we are looking to replace as part of our kitchen "updating" project this summer. I was hoping to get some insight on 27" double wall ovens from you. Based on this forum and others I have heard that Electrolux is a good way to go. Can anyone add any insight on your experience? I read many threads about a past problem they had a couple years ago--and it worries me--but what have your experiences been?

Today, I went to an appliance store and the sales guy pushed Thermador--when I told him that it was out of our budget he suggested Bosch saying that it was a "step-down" but essentially similar. Any Bosch owners out there that can offer some insight? I cook for a family of 5 every day--and I use my oven quite a bit. I would love to hear more about your experiences... Thanks so much!

Comments (25)

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

We replaced our old GE with the 500 series Bosch double oven and love it. I bake a lot and a good oven was very important to me - temperatures are accurate and the heat is very even throughout both ovens. I love the convection roast feature -- perfect roasted turkey breast -- beautifully browned but very moist.

I wish they made the 27" ovens in the 800 series for the touch screen, but they don't and the controls on the 500 are fine - just not as "sleek" as touch panel.

Hope this helps - good luck with your decision

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

They've been in about 3 months now, so I guess we're still in the "honeymoon" phase! I've used all the functions/cycles except the self clean. When we started shopping for appliances, I was interested in the Electrolux oven, but couldn't find anyone who had one on the sales floor! I think both are good quality products.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I have the 30" Elux double wall ovens with Wavetouch (non-Icon model). Wavetouch is when the control panel fades out so only the clock shows. It's worth the extra $300.

I love my ovens. I've used them for 9 months. I've run the self clean feature twice. No problem, except the first time it made a pretty awful smell. That has lessened as they have gotten older. Actually, they had a funny smell when I first started using them, but it went away.

They are both convection, and I don't know much about convection, but I've used it for some roasts and it is great. There is a "Perfect Turkey" setting that really does make a perfect turkey, then it automatically reduces the temperature to "Keep Warm." It was wonderful on Thanksgiving.

I got my ovens when there was an Elux rebate going on. Otherwise, I don't think you can get discounts on Elux, unfortunately. If you start shopping early you might luck out and hit a rebate by the time you need them.

They have a good sized interior and they are pretty on the outside, too. The window is big, and when you turn on the light, you can really see how it's cooking without opening the door. I have no complaints or problems with them, except that there is a learning curve with the electronic controls. You have to remember to press "Start" after you set the temp, or else it doesn't turn on. But that's just my own problem. The electronic controls are really easy to use. The full extension gliding racks are wonderful, and you get a slew of them.

The only way that these could be improved for me would be to have french doors or side swing doors. But no other ovens in this price range offer french doors, either.

I read a lot of oven reviews on various websites, like AJ Madison and others. Elux people seemed to be happy. Also, when I was studying on this forum, some people said that if you couldn't afford high end, Elux was the best moderate priced brand. (It is the high end of moderate, I think. Mine were $3000 before the rebate when I bought them a year ago.)

HTH

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your review HTH! Glad to hear that you have the non-Icon type because at 27", that is my only option. Right now I think the 27" are going at just under $2900. I have time to wait--hopefully ELUX puts out a deal soon! Overall, it sounds like I couldn't go wrong with either a Bosch or an Elux and it comes down to styling and options, etc... I will have to make another trip to an appliance store and take a close look at both. I found more reviews for the Elux (both great and some not so great) than for the Bosch--but that doesn't mean anything really.. Here's a couple questions for both you HTH and TXJOYCE:
    1) How long does it take to preheat to say 425 degrees (i seem to do most of my cooking at this degree)?
    2) Some reviews complain of heat venting out of the ovens? Is this really all that big of a deal? I dont think it would sway me either way--but just curious as to what your experience has been?
    3) How does the Temperature probe work for both of you? i have always had 20+ year old ovens and I can't even imagine using something like that. Does it work well?

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Lilia - we have an Elux 27" single oven. We bought it from Sears Outlet online. It's fully warrantied, brand new, never been turned on, only sat in the showroom. We got it for half list price.

It was installed last Thursday. I've baked two batches of cookies and a casserole so far, and I love it. It heats evenly and with no fuss. I loaded the entire interior FULL with 3 big (11" x 17") cookie sheets and everything baked evenly.

My old GE oven was a nightmare. I had to switch pans back to front, and top to bottom when baking anything. The Elux is like heaven. It took about 7 minutes to heat to 350F. I haven't tried the temperature probe yet. With convection on, the fan blows out of the vents continuously, but it wasn't obnoxious. I'm in New Mexico and the temperature outside was around 90F, just FYI.

Sears sells both Bosch and Elux.

Cheryl

Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Outlet

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Lilia,

1)I guess it takes about 9 minutes to preheat to 425. There is a "Quick Preheat" setting that I have never used but probably should, but my old oven took even longer so this doesn't seem so bad. The read-out shows you the temp as it goes up, and the oven beeps at you when it reaches the temp.

2)I'm not aware of heat venting out. I am aware that the oven sometimes fills up with steam (or smoke), depending on what I'm cooking, and when I open the door I have to stand aside for the rush of steam.

3)The temperature probe works great, and when it reaches the set temp, a signal rings and the oven automatically goes to "keep warm" mode, 170 deg.

My old oven was a 1961 Frigidaire that I had to clean with Easy Off. I loved it because it had french doors, but it heated very unevenly, like Cheryl's. This new oven cooks like a dream, but I imagine the Bosch would be a pleasure to use, too.

Mine has all kinds of settings I have not used, like defrost, slow cook, dehydrate, and bread proofing. Be sure to compare how smoothly the racks glide and how far out they come. You also should try taking them in and out to see how easily they can be moved.

Ginny

• txjoyce
    11 years ago

Lilia,

I haven't timed the preheat - but it doesn't take a long. The top convection oven has a quick preheat option like the Electrolux.

I haven't noticed a problem with venting.

Love, love, love the temperature probe. I cooked a very thick filet of grouper this weekend - seared it on the cooktop, then put it in the oven with the temperature probe -- perfect fish!! The Bosch doesn't switch to a "keep warm" mode automatically (at least I don't think it does).

I agree with Ginny that either one would be a good choice. I also agree that it's important to go and look at them -- try the controls, pull out the racks, etc. If all of those are equal to you, think about the styling and which you like better. I'd also ask about service - is it readily available in your area - probably is for both, but good to know before your purchase.

Happy shopping - I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

Hi, Lilia. I have the 800 Bosch 30" double ovens, both convection. I love the ovens but don't love the broiler. I'm not sure I am using the broiler correctly, but it can't be rocket science. Anyway, the ovens are wonderful and I bake bread and have 2 oven thermometers to check the temp. It's always good.

I use the fast preheat all the time. It is wonderful and it is one of the reasons I bought the Bosch 800. I have not yet used the self clean but the self clean is another reason. The ovens were installed spring 2011. My Bosch has only one easy-out rack and I think the elux has 3? Easy glide racks are a very nice feature.

I replaced 50 year old 24" Frigidaire double ovens which worked exceptionally well. You may have already read this, but the old ovens, generally, did not have all the insulation that new ovens have, and therefore, the new ovens are not as roomy. So if you are looking to use 27", they may or may not have the same interior space as your existing ovens. Take your favorite pans to the store or definitely go and measure the interior space. I found that specs did not talk about interior/usable space.

Another difference between modern ovens and my old ovens is the venting. My Bosch ovens vent at the bottom and when in use, I feel the warm air on my legs. Yup. My old ovens did not vent into the room. It's fine in the winter or spring but gives me pause in the summer. Not a deal breaker at all but I think all modern ovens now have some kind of venting into the room. Nature of the modern beast. The oven doors are not hot.

I have not used the probe yet.

I haven't timed the pre-heat exactly, but it's quick, i am guessing 6, 7 or 8 minutes.-to 450 or 350, the temps I use mostly.

I hope nobody sees me but often when I am baking, I peek into the pretty window, turn on the light and watch the bread baking! Really neat. Until my 70th year on this planet, I didn't have time or the inclination to bake bread. I need to expand my horizons but if anyone could understand, it would be gardenwebbers.

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THanks for the feedback everyone! Again, it sounds like both Bosch and Electrolux are good options. Westsider40 you make an EXCELLENT point about the dimensions inside the ovens. I had not thought about taking my baking pans and sheets to the appliance store but that is an excellent idea. THe nearest store is an hour away so I was wondering if anyone had any free time today if they could send me specs on the "inside" of the oven--Depth (from front to back), Width, and Height. My old 27" GE ovens are actually NOT that roomy and I would be very unhappy with any less room. I measured them this morning and they measure: Depth: 19", Width: 19" and Height 15". I DONT want any smaller than this--so I'm hoping that your Bosch and Electrolux 27 Inch ovens have a roomier inside. I'm stuck with the 27 inch model due to my cabinet size in the kitchen. Again, thanks for all the help! You guys are wonderful! Oh and if any of you know of any upcoming promotions for either Electrolux or Bosch please let me know...
    Lilia

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

My old 24" Thermador ovens (still working) interiors measure: Depth 18 7/8" x Width 19 5/8" by Height 16 3/4" each (one right on top of the other with cabinets above and drawer beneath).

My appliance man looked at them last week and also said the new 27" are about the same size interior as 24". This took me by surprise too. I'm reluctant to give these wall ovens placement up, as there is a heat vent to the exterior. Seems kinda dull to cover that hole up and vent to the interior of the kitchen.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Lilia - check the Sears Outlet website which I linked in my earlier post. The discounts can be significant - as I said, we got our Elux oven at half the list price, and it came with full warranty. Sears stocks both Elux and Bosch.

The interior of our 27" single wall oven measures about 20" across, 16" vertically and about 16 or 17" deep. I can fit my 11 x 17" cookie sheets across a single rack, but I can't fit them in front to back. I was also concerned about space, but convection allows me to fill the oven completely and still get very even baking.

Cheryl

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THanks! Cheryl, I just viewed the website and the discounts are astounding! Why are they so low? Did you say that yours was a floor model? I didnt see anything in stainless steel so maybe it's just going to depend on what's available. I will keep a lookout and maybe travel to an actual outlet location. The closest one is about an hour away from me.

Sure wish I could do the 30" ovens. Oh and Westsider40, I forgot to mention that I TOTALLY get you--regarding the bread baking in the window. I cannot wait to have a large pretty
    window to see my cookies baking :).

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Lilia - The main (only?) downside to the outlet is that you have to keep checking it. Sears won't send you notice of an item that you want.

In March they had 3 Elux 27" single ovens, but I was away and thought I would buy one when I get home. By the time I got back, all were gone. In May, another one appeared. This time I was prepared, so I bought it, probably within the hour!

I believe the appliances are floor models, or older models that are being replaced. Our oven was a brand new floor model, never installed. We got the standard manufacturer's warranty for a new oven.

27" is harder to find than 30" (yes, I'd love this too, but like you, our cabinets can't be easily adjusted), so keep checking. On the phone, the Sears people told us that some stores don't list their sales online, so we should check the local stores. We did, but found nothing we wanted.

Good luck,
    Cheryl

• cj47
    11 years ago

I've had my Electrolux double ovens, Wave Touch, Non Icons for going on two years and I love them. They bake evenly, I like the roll out shelves, and I can't think of a single thing to complain about. I agree with all the positive things that have been said, so I won't repeat it all here. I bake breads, pizza, cookies, and roasts. I cook daily, from scratch, so these get fairly heavy use. No regrets. If you have any specific questions I'm glad to answer them. I have used the rapid preheat--but only when I'm baking on one rack in the center.

Cj

• westsider40
    11 years ago

Hi again, Lilia.

Sears outlet is a wonderful resource. I bought a great Samsung fridge with a teeny dent, yeah in the front, for my daughter, for a terrific price. Sears may be the largest appliance retailer in the world, and their outlet stores are the way they get rid of, or put back into circulation, the dents and scratches or reconditioned items. I had no qualms.

Getting a 30" was easy for me as we did a gut reno, with all new custom cabinetry. But, keep in mind that a lot of the fancy, expensive stoves/ranges (not cooktops necessarily) have smallish ovens. Those buyers adore huge flames on their cooktops, and pay little mind to the size or functionality of their ovens(in my opinion). They lust after the searing capability of their stovetops and don't give a hoot about ovens. Tons of expensive ranges/stoves have ovens that are way smaller than 27" wall ovens.

Cj47 who posted here is a particular hero of mine, and a respected cook and baker. She modestly gave her opinion and said,' oh, contact me'.

Cj has, as I recall, 3 hungry teens. She has a Miele induction cooktop-I have a Bosch induction cooktop. Her cooktop is $800 more. My kids have long flown the coop. She cooks and bakes daily. I am an empty nester, with an anorexic husband(he really hates to eat!) and don't cook much anymore. Yes, my accumulated cooking time amounts to something, but not like Cj. I bake bread as a new hobby, she bakes for real. When Cj says something about cooking or her appliances, I listen, a lot.

So maybe a 27" oven is less than your existing oven in interior dimensions but will function just fine with 2 or 3 sheet pans. think of bluestar, capital, aga, etc., owners with much smaller ovens-who have self smug faces because they have 15 foot high flames! Ask Cj, a real cook, who feeds her family well.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Oh, my....I'm blushing!!! Thank you for your kind words, Westsider40. But really--there are others on this forum that cook as much or more than I do--Rhome410 is one who comes to mind. She bakes and cooks more than I do, as she has more hungry teens! :-)
    Your kind words are much appreciated.

Cj

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Westsider40 thank you for that.. you are right. I need to keep things in perspective with the new ovens. I keep forgetting about the 2 or 3 sheet pans.. I can only do one in my old oven now. So on that note, for ALL of you wonderful cooks--another question: Can you really bake multiple things in ONE oven? I dont mean cookies-- I mean a meatloaf and baked potatoes, or roast a chicken and roast vegetable, etc... Does that add to the regular cooktime? Just curious... Have a wonderful Friday Everyone!

• cj47
    11 years ago

Well, I do cook more than one thing in each of my ovens. I can be roasting a chicken on one level and a sheet pan of veg on another (Roasting vegetables is my favorite way to do most of them). If I'm using the convection feature, it works well. I do need to increase the cooking time to get them as brown and caramelized as I like them if they're cooking under a chicken, but that's not such a big deal.

Cj

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to thank all of you for your input. We decided to go with the Electrolux Double Wall ovens in 27". They were just installed on Thursday and they look so crisp and clean :).. I have a "silly" question for you all regarding the racks... I want to bake something (salmon with lemon) and will only be using one of the racks(not baking multiple items)... should I pull out the other two extra racks--or does the food just bake with them in the oven? I wasnt really clear on this from the manual and wanted to ask you. I noticed that the manual numbers the rack positions 1-7. Is there a better rack position to bake just one item? I was thinking in the middle--but thought I would ask ... In my old oven--I never really moved the rack from the middle unless I was making a turkey. Looking forward to using these! Oh and any other tips on using these ovens is greatly appreciated!

• wekick
    11 years ago

I'm not sure what racks you have but mine came with rolling and non rolling. I keep a rolling one on the bottom and one non rolling above that. I am always switching it around and it is easier to switch than the rolling rack. Sometimes I add the third one if I need it. Yes it will cook with all three in. It is a learning curve, especially learning to use the modes. Most things will cook in the middle but what mode will you use for the fish?

• jadeite
    11 years ago

I keep all the racks in unless I need the room. My single oven came with 2 glide racks and one fixed. I usually keep the glide racks in the middle and upper parts of the oven where I do most of my baking and roasting. With a single pan, I keep it in the middle, but if you're using convection, it doesn't matter much.

I haven't tried any of the modes yet, I'm too used to doing things manually. I roasted two chickens using convection roast and was surprised that they came out browned on top. I guess I should have read the manual, but this option turns on the top elements. Make sure you know what will happen to your fish before launching into your dish.

Cheryl

• ginny20
    11 years ago

I keep one glide rack in the top oven, right in the center, with the non-glide rack in the bottom position. I use this for baking and roasting moderately sized things.In the bottom oven, I keep one glider in a fairly high position, one a little lower and the fixed one in the bottom. I use the high rack for broiling. I don't think there is any reason why you can't just leave them all in, I just didn't. I don't have to move them often. If you do need to move them, say, to bake two sheets of cookies, remember to move them before you preheat - I've made that mistake.

• gabbygannon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yikes! A learning curve for sure... In answer to your question wekick, I have no idea what to use for the fish LOL! In my old oven it would be "bake".. I suppose I can try convection bake or just plain old bake..not sure which is better.

Cheryl, was the browned on top for your chicken a good thing or bad? It sounds like a roasted chicken should be browned right? What do you all generally use for roasting a whole chicken--or for example to make roast chicken quarters, etc..? What about meatloaf (a family favorite)? Again, my old oven "bake" at 425 degrees would do the trick for the chicken and "bake" at 325 degrees for the meatloaf.. I suppose a lot of this will be trial and error, but with hungry boys and a husband--I would rather not waste too much food :)..

• jadeite
    11 years ago

Lilia - the browned chicken was fine, actually better than fine because it made a nice crisp skin. I just mentioned it because I wasn't expecting it. It might do the same for your fish, but as I've never tried it I don't know if it will work or not.

Like you, this is a new experience for me. I use convection bake for most things, but so far my baking has been cookies, cakes, rolls. The oven works beautifully for all of these. The chicken is the only thing I've roasted, and I will probably use "convection roast" for chicken in future. Right now it's too hot to think of doing a lot of cooking.

Cheryl