Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sailormass

Help Choosing Fridge with Water Dispenser

sailormass
11 years ago

Hi--

I need a new fridge, and since everyone in my house drinks a lot of water, I thought it might be a good idea to get a fridge with a filtered water dispenser.

My top choice so far is a GE Cafe, but I keep hearing that fridges with in-the-door ice and water dispensers are prone to have problems.

My local appliance store carries a GE Profile French Door with the icemaker in the freezer and an internal water dispenser (it's actually in the fridge toward the side).

Anybody have any thoughts about this? Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments (8)

• williamsem
    11 years ago

We recently purchased the GE profile FD with ice in the freezer and water dispenser only in the door. So far I really like it. I looked at the internal dispensers but decided I didn't want to open the door to get water.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

GE fridges don't get good reviews here. The only person I know personally who is happy with their GE fridge is my sister who got hers on clearance at a REALLY good price (keep in mind she has had 2 service calls on it in 5 years). Samsung and LG get good reviews though. We have a Kenmore Elite badged Samsung counter depth SxS with ice and water in the door and love it. Ice maker is in the door too and no problems at all. I agree with williamsem about the dispensers inside the fridge--if I'm going to have to open the fridge to get to the water, then I might as well use the sink filter or a Brita pitcher in the fridge.

Hope this helps!

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I had a bad experience with a GE fridge with internal ice and water, although neither was plumbed in the one I used. I'll paste a response I gave to another poster on the subject and add that the veggie bins frequently came off their rails and were difficult to get back on.

------

During our whole house reno, we stayed in a house with a GE FD fridge. Internal water, but not hooked up. My initial excitement as finally using a FD fridge faded quickly with two doors to open and close many, many times a day. Good thing I had a chance to test one out before I bought my new fridge. Can't stand FD fridges now that I've used one.

The temperature of this unit was all over the place. For no good reason first thing in the morning it would be five degrees warmer...or maybe colder with frozen lettuce. No rhyme or reason to it. As to noise....I wouldn't exactly call it quiet. The galley kitchen was semi-open to the family room. The fridge was at the far end of the kitchen and my chair was at the farthest other end of the family room. I had to turn the TV up and grit my teeth while the fridge ran as it was so loud. Overall, I was not impressed with the GE fridge. So glad I love my new one.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Regarding having filter water for drinking, I wanted the same thing but didn't want the potential service issues of an external water dispenser. Internal water dispensers limited my choices.

I went the cheap, low-tech path and installed a $50 inline filter on the cold water line at our cleanup sink. The water tastes great and opened up more fridge choices as I didn't have to rule out brands/models without internal water. If I ever want chilled water, I throw in a few ice cubes from my KA freezer's internal ice maker.

• sailormass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all! Excellent advice, lots of food for thought. I actually have a GE now (am only getting a new one because I've sold my house and the fridge conveys)--no water dispenser, bottom freezer--it's probably six years old and I've never had a problem with it.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Maybe it's because there are just the two of us, but we've had ice/water-in-the-door refrigerators ever since we inherited one in a house we purchased in 1990 -- that one, plus two others -- and have never had a problem.

I don't remember the brand of the first one. The second was a Kitchen Aid, the current one is a Samsung FD.

Just another perspective.

• nanjeanne
    11 years ago

We also wanted filtered water but no digital ice crushing stuff on the outside. We got a counter-depth French Door Kitchenaid Pro Line and love it. Ice maker and storage in the bottom freezer and easy to access filtered water inside the door. We've only had it a few weeks - so can't tell you how it holds up - but we're very happy with it so far.

• mike_73
    11 years ago

Yes GE gets horrible reviews here and I know a few people that have had issues with GE fridges. I have never had one but had trouble with their laundry products. Some say they make a good stove though.

I would look at kitchen aid I purchased a fd with water inside and an ice maker in February I am pleased with it. Yea opening the door is a little more trouble but the dispenser stays cleaner inside and there is no pitcher taking up space the water is cold too. In mine the water tank is behind the crispers. You should also look at Samsung and lg as well