Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfnewhouse

Comment on Jenn Air vs Thermador columns?

jfnewhouse
10 years ago

I have had Thermador columns in the past and loved them. Recently purchased a home with a 48" Jenn Air in it. We are doing some remodeling of the kitchen and I have the opportunity to swap out the Jenn Air for Thermador columns (no, not for free!!). Any comments on comparing the quality etc of the two? I definitely prefer the Thermador, but I don't know if this is just jitters about changing to something different.
For example: I dislike how the Jenn Air drawers are down at my ankles. I don't like the Jenn Air lighting- but that's not a reason to change a fridge. I have heard Thermador preserves food better- but is the Jenn Air going to be a huge step down that I would notice?
Thanks!!

Comments (4)

• dodge59
    10 years ago

You must have a different model Jenn-air 48" fridge, than I do.

Mine is a built in and nothing is at my ankles. The lowest thing in the fridge is the meat keeper, which can be set at a different temp than the rest of the fridge. It still is easy to get at, and I'm 70. Next up is the fruit veggie bin, again it an be adjusted for optimum temp for those items. Above that is the chrisper and again , You guessed it, I can set at a different temp than the other 2 bins, and different from the fridge.

The ice maker in the freezer is at optimun height for us and we use the ice maker a lot.

My fridge is well lit, all the compartments are lit and even the ice maker is lit.

I love the crank up and down shelves, both in the fridge and the freezer. If you encounter a tall bottle or whatever, just give the handle a turn---with your thermador, you would have to empty the shelf, then reinstall it in the next location, (up or down).

It uses the variable speed compressor, so I can't tell when the thing is running, unlike my Electrolux wine fridge, (Not noisy but I can tell when the wine fridge runs--sooo I'm not "totally deaf yet", (LOL)

The Jenn-air has been trouble free for 7 years, except for the ice maker that died after 5 years. It cost me about $135 and 10 minutes of my time to replace it.

Sorry your JA is not the same as mine!

Gary

• jfnewhouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. We have very different models of JennAire apparently (mine is 2013 model JS48SEDUDW). It doesn't have cranks shelves, which I would love. But my Thermador column fridge has a nifty electric top shelf, and I love being able to adjust the height with a press of a button. However, looking at this year's version of the same Thermador column, they have discontinued this favorite feature ( Still available in the Gaggenau version of the same fridge). Also Thermador replaced lighting with LED which is great in theory, but casts a rather nasty grey light on the food. So much for thinking about replacing the Jenn Aire with Freedom columns. The Jenn Aire ice maker is already not working (6 months old) and we have to figure out what is wrong. The unit is definitely louder than my Thermador Freedom columns, which I never hear. It's not really so loud overall, but it is definitely louder. The ice maker in the JennAire is mounted at the top of the door, and to reach inside it, I need to use a step stool since I'm short.
    Another thing I have noticed is that the Jenn Aire has a shiny stainless steel finish which is always dirty looking. With my same family, and our same dirty or clean hands, my thermador Freedom columns rarely look dirty. The finish on the stainless is a softer brushed finish. It shows less reflection and glare and shows far fewer fingerprints.

• jfnewhouse
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. We have very different models of JennAire apparently (mine is 2013 model JS48SEDUDW). It doesn't have cranks shelves, which I would love. But my Thermador column fridge has a nifty electric top shelf, and I love being able to adjust the height with a press of a button. However, looking at this year's version of the same Thermador column, they have discontinued this favorite feature ( Still available in the Gaggenau version of the same fridge). Also Thermador replaced lighting with LED which is great in theory, but casts a rather nasty grey light on the food. So much for thinking about replacing the Jenn Aire with Freedom columns. The Jenn Aire ice maker is already not working (6 months old) and we have to figure out what is wrong. The unit is definitely louder than my Thermador Freedom columns, which I never hear. It's not really so loud overall, but it is definitely louder. The ice maker in the JennAire is mounted at the top of the door, and to reach inside it, I need to use a step stool since I'm short.
    Another thing I have noticed is that the Jenn Aire has a shiny stainless steel finish which is always dirty looking. With my same family, and our same dirty or clean hands, my thermador Freedom columns rarely look dirty. The finish on the stainless is a softer brushed finish. It shows less reflection and glare and shows far fewer fingerprints.

• rentaltux
    10 years ago

I had Thermador Columns in my previous house and Jenair in the new house. Although the Jenair is fine it just doesn't feel as good quality as the Thermador. The Jenair is def. louder. I do miss the quietness of my Thermador... Given a choice it would be Thermador all the way!