Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Miele Chef Speed Oven Functionality?

sayde
13 years ago

We're planning on getting this to use as both a microwave and a second oven. The first oven would the 30 inch gas range. We currently use the range oven we have now very rarely, may-be once a month. Our oven cooking is done either in the countertop Breville or the outdoor cooker (Green Egg).

I'm wondering if there is anything that the Miele speed oven cannot do well. (Recognize of course that it is small -- but should meet our needs more than 90% of the time).

I'm hoping to use the Miele for all the daily baking and heating, virtually everything but the annual Beef Wellington (much smaller than turkey) which might even fit.

Would appreciate hearing what works well in the Miele, but especially if there is anything that doesn't.

Comments (8)

• mojavean
    13 years ago

I don't have the "Chef" model, but it is the same size as my Masterchef, and since I have the older version, it also does not have the lower heating element below the oven floor of the 4082 Masterchef.

The Masterchef aspect is pretty much that it has a mode where you dial in the type of food you are cooking and the oven selects how best to cook it. I do not use that, preferring to make my own mistakes and then just blame it all on the oven if things go south.

Seriously, I never really use the Masterchef "dial-a-meal" function. I just tell the oven how I want it to operate and for how long. It's guesswork, but it's fun.

The Masterchef model also has a thermometer probe that works in conjuction with the oven to cook meat to a given temp. I really haven't used that, either. But if I were doing a bird in there I probably would. The chef model literature doesn't mention that the 4042 has that or not. So probably not.

Other than that, the Chef model has knobs instead of a clean glass panel, that is something that I do not like. I like the easy-to-clean flat control panel myself.

I do not know if my list is exhaustive but it will be at least a start. I do recommend that you schedule a time to go look at the items you are thinking about. Seeing all the options is a great idea when you are talking about expensive appliances

• sayde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Mojavean. You're correct -- the Chef Speed Oven does not have the bottom element or the probe.

I'm just wondering if the Chef Speed Oven is a "complete" oven (though small) that you can bake/broil/roast in, as well as you could do in a regular electric oven. Can you do all these things with the top element combined with the MW, even though there is no bottom element?

• User
    13 years ago

4082 Masterchef model is a "complete" oven.

It doesn't excel at baking cookies or biscuits only because there is only one baking tray and it's glass. You can purchase additional ones at substantial cost and or use a traditional sheet if you can find one to fit. You'd still need the additional racks to place the sheets on though.

• sayde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you antss, that was very helpful. The message seems to be that it will do a good job with just about anything that you can fit into the space (whether confined by the number of racks or the sheer overall size of the cavity). From what you've said I think we'll be fine with it.

• ecovert
    13 years ago

One thing I haven't seen you all mention is the Turbochef? I am in the planning stages of my redo, and while I don't plan to install the residential wall oven, I am thinking about their new commercial standalone speed cook oven called the Sota. It is narrower, and I am hoping to fit it into a lower cabinet configuration. I have an appointment to see it at their test kitchen HQ in Carrollton, TX, Thursday. If anyone has questions about it let me know and I will ask. These are the ovens that are in Subway shops.

• plumorchard
    13 years ago

ecovert-you don't see much discussion for Turbochef here. I would be interested in what you learn on your visit. I'll be on the lookout for a new thread for the Turbochef. Good Luck!

• User
    13 years ago

eco - that's because the Turbochef is an entirely different animal. Well the regular oven anyway. It doesn't have microwave functionality. I'm not familiar with the model you are talking about but from your description and what I know I can figure this out:

Turbochef doesn't have widespread distribution especially at the retail level.

If it comes from their commercial side even less awareness.

There are lots of problems with consumers adapting commercial products for in home use. It's not impossible, but most find it not worth the trouble and for manuf. it's a real PIA especially when you only do 2-3 a year.

There are lots of other choices to fill this segment, so...

that's why you don't hear much about that product.

• plumorchard
    13 years ago

The new model of the Turbochef does include microwave functionality.