Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Broan Range Hood Speed Control

Posted by ohmmm (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 18:18

Broan Range Hood model #AP100-A installed for a little over 2 years now. Was working fine, then....

fan motor got to the point where it would not spin up on it's own without my reaching in and giving the squirrel cage a bit of a hand spin.

This range hood has a variable fan speed dial(see photo below).

This is just a household kitchen. No major grease/gunk buildup on it.

So I order a new motor from Broan directly. Got it the other day. Installed, no problem. Old motor and new motor have all the same wiring, same label, same part # etc. Only one electrical connector which can only connect in one orientation.

Turn it on, high speed works.

Turn the variable speed dial down lower, nothing happens. &%$#%!

When I rotate the speed dial all the way low, I can hear a SLIGHT change in sound and maybe a VERY slight change in motor rpm, barely noticeable.

So what is the real issue here? The variable speed worked perfectly before.
 photo Picture037_zpse6649460.jpg

photo Picture035_zps450c0222.jpg

photo Picture033_zpsbbf6e1cd.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Broan Range Hood Speed Control

If new motor works normally only when fan speed control is put to high that suggests the speed control also needs to be replaced. Get a picture of it if you can.

o
RE: Broan Range Hood Speed Control

This looks like a dual wound motor, and if one motor circuit is broken, then the control might only work on one speed and not the others. Unfortunately, Broan's support for NuTone's lifetime warranty has reportedly been terminated. Perhaps in your area the organization providing service and replacement parts can test the motor for functionality and determine whether a new one is required.

kas

o
RE: Speed Control

I think I read the first post too quickly. If this problem occurs with a new motor, then the speed control would be the more likely culprit.

kas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here