Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjremodel

Help Choosing Appliances Needed

rjremodel
10 years ago

Our remodel is essentially a new build and we require all new appliances and fixtures. We are in the framing stage and I'm being asked to make appliance decisions soon

Except for the fridge, these will be my first new appliances in 30 years. I'm considering the following with reasons why) and would input on reliability, functionality, quiet (since it's an open floor plan) and service responsiveness from others on GW to help me make the final choice.

I am not tied to all matching appliances. Prefer the best in each category.

KITCHEN:

We mainly cook for just the two of us, or small groups. But we do plan to do holiday and other celebratory entertaining.

INDUCTION COOKTOP - considering the Thermador 36"Freedom (put-pot-anywhere) so that we can use larger pots or a large teppanyaki-type pan as a griddle. I know its very new so I haven't seen many posts on its reliability or functionality. OR a Miele or Wolf 5-hob induction cooktop. I have always had gas in the past but love what I've seen/read about induction.

COMBI-STEAM OVEN - This will probably be one of the most-used appliances. We eat a lot of fresh veges, grains, poultry, some fish. Thinking we would cook veges and grains in the combi-steam rather than the cooktop. Considering Wolf or Miele because they are the largest capacity. Would love input on pros-cons of both.

30" SINGLE WALL OVEN - Read a lot of positives on GW about the Electrolux Wave Touch and am going to see one today. Also considering Miele (but the comments about temperature variances are a concern) and Wolf (but the comments about porcelain flaking is a concern). This will be the least used appliance probably. My DH wants a 30" for turkeys or multiple meat loafs. I'm not much of a baker, but could get inspired. Any input on these 3 or other suggestions. We could possibly get a GE Oven at a very deep discount through a friend. What's everyone's thoughts on GE's functionality, reliability, service and differences between their models?

DISHWASHER - strongest contender is Miele Dimension. Seems to have best comments. Don't think I need to go all the way up to the Diamond but would love your thoughts. Wondering about Miele vs. Bosch.

COUNTER-DEPTH 36" FRENCH DOOR REFRIGERATOR - leaning toward Sub-Zero for the dual compressors and positive comments about produce lasting for a longer time (We eat a lot of produce). Have seen some problems with SZ on GW.
Thermador/Gagg/Miele top shelves are too tall for me. Haven't looked much at other brands. Is SZ worth the splurge?

MICROWAVE - use primarily for steaming frothed milk. so my little old GE tucked in lower slot or an appliance garage will be fine.

LAUNDRY

Have read so many problems with even the popular American brands like Whirlpool and Electrolux that I'm considering Miele Washer & Dryer even though they are much smaller

We do about 7 loads per week. Two are big loads (the sheets and duvet cover from a king-sized bed and the other is two sets of towels). Has anyone fit those size loads into the European sized Miele?

Mainly we wash smaller very separated loads (one light and one dark load of his very, very grubby work clothes, dark delicates, dark cottons, white/light delicates, white/light cottons).

Would love to have a handwash cycle for sweaters, silks, lingerie and athletic wear that currently have to wash in the sink). Is Miele (or any other brand) really kind to hand wash? Realize if I get a smaller unit I'll have to take comforter, blankets, pillows to laundromat, but that's only once or twice a year.

Seems like Miele is only brand that doesn't have complaints (DH cynically says that's because they're so expensive few have bought them or those who have bought don't do their own laundry!) Are there alternatives you can suggest?

Thanks! Looking forward to your feedback! I'll be returning again I'm am sure with fixture and design questions.

Comments (3)

• rjremodel
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Forgot one other oven I've considered: Capital Maestro series 30" Single wall Oven - but haven't found a store in LA to look at one.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

If LA = Los Angeles and NOT Louisana, The Capital factory is in Santa Fe Springs, Calif, (Not that far from LA, off the 5 freeway).

I do like the idea of the Capital oven being made in California, but I've had the Electrolux Icon 7 years now, and completely trouble free.
    It has 3 ball bearing full extension rolling racks, huge window and large display and controls so it is still very handy to use even thou it is mounted below counter, but elevated about 6 inches.

I agree with your decision about the Miele dishwasher. I've had the older model "Optima" for 7 years now and completely trouble free and luv that top cutlery rack.

Not sold on the SZ, old style (on'off) compressors, expensive, and it keeps food no longer than any other fridge---You will find many posts about "My new xx fridge keeps food so fresh", regardless of brand. This is due to better insulation as well as better seals to meet energy requirements, and those fridges that have the Variable Speed Compressors, (Jenn-air, Liebherr, Miele and probably most Kitchenaids) keep the temp at a more constant temperature, particularly the single compressor ones, as they do not have to over & undershoot the target temperature like an on/off style compressor does. In fact the new JA is specified as +/- .5 degree F, (try to find such a specification on the SZ).

Thinks I like about my Jenn-air fridge is I can set the meat compartment for the optimum temp there, set the veggie/fruit compartment at a different temp and the chrisper has it's own temp setting.All different temps from the main fridge temp and all digital readouts and controls.
    Also since we are in our 70's we prefer the SXS fridges as we use the freezer a lot and I dont want to get on hands and knees or do a lotta bending to get into the freezer.
    (Not sure the new JA's offer this).

We should however not get carried away with the "Keeping abilities of some of the new fridges. The USDA has posted "guidelines" for keeping fruit and veggies. briefly summarizing the USDA report, it says you will lose a lotta vitamins and minerals in the produce if you keep it too long, (even thou said produce still looks great)!

I've had the Maytag Washer and dryer set for probably 5 years now, We went from a 35 year old Maytag top loader and I think a hotpoint top load dryer to front loaders. Much to my surprise, I we really like the front loaders, although they are on stands. I'm 70 and alto I can bend, I like not having to.
    all our towels etc come out much softer than with the old machines, and we haven't changed detergents etc.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have Miele washing machines but they no longer make the bigger units - so can't compare.

All of the european units use very little water - and I notice my whites are not as bright as before - I switched to a different detergent for the whites and also increased how much we use to the actual recommended amount and that seems to be helping.

I do wash everything in it including hand wash - and love the feature on the dryer that I can choose a short cycle (hand iron and rotary iron) - it partially dries it to hang up.

Our old Maytag Neptunes - it seemed that clothes lasted longer - I am not sure the Miele is as gentle but it might be I am impatient and spin too high for regular clothes..

One of my friends bought the Samsung and hated it and returned it for the Miele and loves it.