Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Can I "fool" my 11" induction hob to accept 8" pans?

texasgal47
10 years ago

I have decided to go with a shallower vent hood for aesthetic reasons in my small kitchen and plan to cook the "messies" (fry, long simmer, & boil) on the back induction hobs to compensate. Unfortunately, on my Bosch cooktop those back hobs are 5.75" and 11". All of my new larger induction pans/pots have 8" bottoms. These pans are the right size for my cooking needs so would prefer not to buy 11" if I can avoid it. An 8" pan on the large hob will heat up fine but has a constant anoying cyclic hum I can't live with. (The hum does not occur if the pans are sized to the correct burner.) Do you think placing a 18/8 SS waiter's tray from a restaurant supply store on the larger hob, then placing the 8" pan on top, would stop the cyclic hum? If so, would the pot still heat appropriately? The tray I'm considering is 13.75" round but has a slight raised edge so the flat bottom should be about 11". If this is a no go, does anyone have other suggestions of what I might try short of buying new pans? Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and offer assistance.

Comments (8)