Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I "fool" my 11" induction hob to accept 8" pans?

Posted by Texasgal47 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 17:41

I have decided to go with a shallower vent hood for aesthetic reasons in my small kitchen and plan to cook the "messies" (fry, long simmer, & boil) on the back induction hobs to compensate. Unfortunately, on my Bosch cooktop those back hobs are 5.75" and 11". All of my new larger induction pans/pots have 8" bottoms. These pans are the right size for my cooking needs so would prefer not to buy 11" if I can avoid it. An 8" pan on the large hob will heat up fine but has a constant anoying cyclic hum I can't live with. (The hum does not occur if the pans are sized to the correct burner.) Do you think placing a 18/8 SS waiter's tray from a restaurant supply store on the larger hob, then placing the 8" pan on top, would stop the cyclic hum? If so, would the pot still heat appropriately? The tray I'm considering is 13.75" round but has a slight raised edge so the flat bottom should be about 11". If this is a no go, does anyone have other suggestions of what I might try short of buying new pans? Thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and offer assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I "fool" my 11" induction hob to accept 8" pans?

The restaurant tray should heat up, certainly if it is responsive to a magnet. Heat will conduct into the pan on top. You might be able to fry bacon that way, but putting high power into the pan might prove difficult. And the pan may still vibrate.

There are relatively inexpensive induction capable cookwares that would probably be less trouble to acquire and use.

Boiling where there is minimal grease entrained in the water vapor could be done on a front hob and allowed to escape the hood so long as the water vapor quantity is not so much that you wet your walls.

kas

o

Kas, I am in your debt. Thanks once again.

o
RE: Can I "fool" my 11" induction hob to accept 8&

Hmmm, what if I could have a metal shop make me a ring, 8.50" open in the center to place the pot in the middle and 11" at the exterior? It would probably cost more than 3 pieces of induction cookware. I found an online fabricator, www.stainlesssteelsupply.com, to see what the cost might be. I really don't want to store and use such large pots if I can avoid it.

This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 21:57

o

It would get hot, but would it solve the buzzing?

You might try local sheet metal shops for pricing; I'd like to know what the experiment yields for a result.

kas

o

They sell induction plates which are used to make non magnetic pots use-able on induction hobs. I can't think of the term for them at the moment. Unfortunately, they are not very successful.

For that reason, I doubt that a home-made metal plate would work well enough. Amazon reviews would be informative.

And it is unknown whether either of these would stop the buzzing.

o

I researched these plates prior to this post as I was aware of them. No manufacturer makes one large enough for this 11" hob. User comments are restricted to pans that are non-induction and would not relate to the humming problem in my situation.

o

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish - buy some new cookware - easier and more reliable than jerry-rigging something.

o

Weissman, I think you're giving sound advice. It would be foolish to put my expensive cooktop at risk by trying to find a "work around."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here