Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklingwater_gw

72" fixed fridge opening height: will a 71 15/16" fridge fit?

SparklingWater
10 years ago

Polling our experts and homeowners here for their response to this question:

Jenn Air Model # JVC2290VEM-CD FD with internal dispenser 72" (h)

Our cut out space: 36 1/2" width x 27" d x 72" height.

Will this unit fit: yes or no?

This is a serious question. Vent space is 1/2" on sides and top. Hinges run with doors.

Thank you for your insight.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to dimension specs on fridge:

Comments (22)

• lee676
    10 years ago

Main fridge box is only 71-1/4"h. If the cabinet above fridge is only 12" deep it looks like you'll be fine, with 3/4" breathing space. If cabinet above fridge is 24" deep, it's a closer call, since the top of the refrigerator door hinges are 71-7/8"h and they start 20-5/8" from the back of the fridge, which would be under the cabinet. The hinges are only at the sides though, so there may still be adequate breathing space before the doors (which are also 71-7/8"h) start, which at 24-1/2" from back are close to where the above-fridge cabinet would end. It would be a very tight fit under a 24"d cabinet, but it *may* work.

If this fridge won't fit, there's always the similar models sold by other Whirlpool brands that are 2-1/2" shorter, sold by Kitchenaid, Whirlpool, Kenmore, and even Ikea. The Kitchenaid is probably closest feature-wise, though I'm not familiar with the French-door models (I've been shopping the side-by-sides). And Jenn-Air has the shorter-height JFC2089WEM, though I can't tell from the pictures if that uses the new design (with LED lighting inside, larger shelves, etc.) or not. The exposed hinges on this one don't look as nice as the hidden hinges on the JVC2290VEM though.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, there is a 24'd cabinet above affixed to lateral 27'w side panels up to 96'h.

I read main fridge box at 71 5/16' (height to top of cabinet (box, case, cabinet box).

I ask this question as two pro appliance dealers say it will fit but I and my spouse are hesitant due to height. The left hinge seems to contain an electrical too.

Thank you for your response and alternatives.

I've traveled far and wide to see CD freestanding refrigerators this year. Jenn Air products are very sturdy and interiorly well designed and not flimsy rollers and shelves. The newly released Jenn Air JSC24C8EAM (35 3/4' x71 3/8' x29 1/2') with single paddle exterior water is a Side by Side with total height to hinges of 71 3/8'. We have a SxS now and have totally enjoyed it. Seems like a better idea.

I'm also considering the new Kentucky line built GE Cafe 23.1 cu ft FD Ice and Water Counter Depth CYE23TSD. It's total height to top of crown is 70 1/2'. With our side panels at 27', it's only a tad more out and offers more cu ft and quite nice new design features. I have to go see it in person though. Disadvantage is with rear vent space of 2 inches needed in back for compressors, it projects 32 1/4' depth without handles. I have lots of front space.
    http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/CYE23TSDSS.html

Thanks again for your thoughts lee676.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to new JA 72

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Have you checked the floor to be sure that it is perfectly flat and level all the way to the back of the space?

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that I have done. It is perfectly flat. It's also a pull up floor to furnace room access below, and has industrial supports below to ensure support of weight of refrigerator.

Your point is extremely well taken. Another reason I hesitate as the JD CD 72" height of 71 15/16" is at minimum wheel height (1/4"?). If you need to level the fridge (important for icemakers/water dispensers as water won't climb uphill easily), then you must add on up to another 3/4" for additional leg leveling.

I canceled the order this morning in spite of truly wishing it would work. I guess I'm wondering why the dealers think it will?

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump please.

Any other opinions on if it's folly or possible to put the 71 15/16" refrigerator under the 72" framed space?

GC wishes appliances to be delivered and this is holding order up.

Thank you.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

for longevity's sake, I would want more than the minimum clearance around the outside for ventilation.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, weedmeister. It's just too tight to us. We're going to move on to a different fridge.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I dragged DH to yet another appliance dealer who had the JA JVC2290VEM-CD FD with internal dispenser 72" (h) and guess what? Their cabinet height was precisely 72" with level floor, 24" depth and 36+ width.

This lovely JA with Pro Handles stood out from the 24" fridge panel a bit with the box or case (gray and maybe 1/2") to allow the hinges and door to be free, and then the stainless sided doors showed proud.

We measured every which way, and discussed where the leveling wheels were (minimum 1/4"). I pulled the fridge forward to prove to myself I could and that the hinge when carefully pushed back didn't bind (it didn't).

As my dealer has other options so no restock fee, I'm going to give this a shot. This JA CD model is just right in heft and looks, and with our own level floors and precise box, I'm willing to try it out in our space. Love this fridge.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just for me, my great GC and their great carpenters/installers raised the fridge panel up another inch! I got it now.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I hope it is as good a fridge as mine has been.
    I've had the Jenn-air 48" SXS built in, going on 7 years now.

It has features that many other expensive fridges do not have.
    Crank up/down shelves, 3 different temps can be set in various compartments in the fridge, (meat keeper, veggie bin, and Chrisper).

I'm glad to see they have not cheapened the quality of the interior, alto another poster said they did, but "Maybe" He was just trying to justify his desire for the SZ????

Only problem I ever had with mine is the ice maker died after 5 years. Many replacements were available on-line, including the Jenn-air Web-site, so I bought it from Jenn-air, came "Straightaway", cost me about $135 and 10 minutes of my time to replace it. (Compare this to some of the other expensive fridges), where such a failure would result in a "Costly Service Call"!

I still think Jenn-air's new marketing strategy STINKS, (Hide the price), but the fridge, or at least mine, and hopefully yours too is of the highest quality.

Good luck with it, and please keep us posted on it's performance.

Gary

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Gary. I'll be back after I've used it for a while. I know you like yours: read all your posts about Jenn Air. I did hear from an appliance dealer that JA is now making theirs on the KA line? As opposed to a separate JA line? I mean we all know they are Whirlpool. The example he gave was the new JA 72" CD SxS, with the single paddle for ice/water, just like the KA's.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Jenn-Air JFC2290VEM Refrigerator with the hidden hinges is the one I want also as I love the layout, love the euro handles or the pro-handles, love the freezer drawer's three layers, love the water inside that is filtered, love the ice box pull-out, and overall I just love the look. I am also having a problem if it would fit. I am eventually going to change out my kitchen cabinets but it needs to fit right now also. The Kitchen-Aid version is just as tall and identical but with different handles. They have a smaller version with exposed hinges but the freezer is smaller and not as nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jennair Counter Depth JFC2290VEM Stainless Steel Refrigerator 72

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

The Jenn-Air looks identical to the Kitchenaid ... is it the same fridge, made by the same people? If so, what is the difference in buying one or the other?

Sparklingwater, how do you like the Jenn-Air?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Jellytoast, From my research and seeing the Jenn-Air and the Kitchen-Aid in the same room at the East Hanover NJ Location of PC Richards, the units were identical in every way except the Jenn-Air had the Jenn-Air logo on the upper right side of the refrigerator with Jenn-Air Euro or Pro-style handles while the KitchenAid same model had the KitchenAid logo on the upper right side of the refrigerator with KitchenAid handles. The stainless steel was the same, the size and dimensions was the same and the interior refrigerator and freezer was the same. The salesman confirmed this and I also found out the Viking has an exact model also. Whirlpool makes Jenn-Air, KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Viking, Amana and I forgot what other appliances. There is also the shorter model with the hinges showing that both Kitchen-Aid and Jenn-Air make but only the Kitchen-Aid one was in the store. Jenn-Air has a $300 Rebate on this Refrigerator until the end of the year. I prefer the Jenn-Air Euro Handles despite having a KitchenAid Dishwasher as I have small hands and prefer skinnier handles.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Whirlpool Corporation

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Whirlpool Corporation

Whirlpool Corporation logo.svg

Every Home⦠Everywhere⦠with Pride, Passion and Performance

Type
    Public

Traded as
    NYSE: WHR
    S&P 500 Component

Industry
    Household appliances

Founded
    St. Joseph, Michigan (1911)

Founder(s)
    Louis Upton
    Emory Upton

Headquarters
    Benton Charter Township, Michigan, United States

Area served
    Worldwide

Key people
    Jeff M. Fettig
    (Chairman and CEO)

Products
    Major and Small appliances

Revenue
    Increase US$ 18.143 billion (2012)[1]

Operating income
    Increase US$ 869 million (2012)[1]

Profit
    Increase US$ 401 million (2012)[1]

Total assets
    Increase US$ 15.396 billion (2012)[1]

Total equity
    Increase US$ 4.260 billion (2012)[1]

Employees
    68,000 (2012)[1]

Website
    www.whirlpoolcorp.com

Showroom in Hong Kong
    Whirlpool Corporation is an American multinational manufacturer and marketer of home appliances headquartered in Benton Charter Township, Michigan, United States, near Benton Harbor, Michigan.[2][3] The company is listed in Fortune 500 and has annual revenue of approximately $18.4 billion, more than 70,000 employees, and more than 70 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht and Consul. After acquiring the Maytag Corporation on March 31, 2006, the Whirlpool Corporation surpassed Electrolux to become "the largest home appliance maker in the world."[citation needed]

In the U.S., Whirlpool has 8 manufacturing facilities: Amana, Iowa; Tulsa, Oklahoma; Cleveland, Tennessee; Ohio: Clyde, Findlay, Greenville, Marion (and Ottawa).

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

This old post says Amana makes Viking refrigerators & Now Whirlpool owns Amana.

Here is a link that might be useful: This old post says Amana makes Viking refrigerators & Now Whirlpool owns Amana

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Great Answer
    Professionally Researched. (What's this?)
    Professionally Researched
    This great answer was researched and sourced by a professional writer, as well as copy-edited and fact checked by a professional copy-editor. This isn't a replacement for the combined knowledge of our tremendous community - it's an addition! We hope you'll find these professionally researched answers useful, and it will encourage you to ask and answer even more!

Most Viking freestanding single- and double-door refrigerators are manufactured by Amana, which is owned by Whirlpool. Viking Range Corp. does make several models of built-in refrigerator/freezers in sizes ranging from 30 to 48 inches.
    Source:
    Consumer Reports: Appliances

Read more: Who makes Viking refrigerators? : Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2049699#ixzz2g3WohKWm

Here is a link that might be useful: Viking manufactured by Amana who is owned by Whirlpool

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Do JennAir and KitchenAid go through the same customer service department (Whirlpool)?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Jellytoast, that is a great question that I do not know since my KitchenAid dishwasher has yet to break. Maybe I will call KitchenAid to ask how best to clean the dishwasher as the stainless steel on it is so pretty but difficult to clean and I will find out if I get Whirlpool or the KitchenAid department. I am still willing to buy KitchenAid again or JennAir as I love the thought out organized designs and so far my KitchenAid dishwasher is 4 years old and still cleans great and is so quiet. I think the refrigerator looked like the stainless steel will be easier to clean than the KitchenAid Dishwasher I have. Maybe I will just call and ask Whirlpool if I have a problem with JennAir or KitchenAid, which customer service department do I call. When I have time, I will call and let you know. Tomorrow I just have a rough day with LG being here to try to fix the refrigerator that had burning wires 3 weeks ago with the fire department here and then the next week melting light coverings and charred wires. I lost so much food and I am scared of the LG refrigerator and eventually want to replace it with either the JennAir or the KitchenAid refrigerator with the filtered water inside the door. I should not be up but I am so behind in my work and was supposed to just record Grey's Anatomy but ended up watching the recorded episode.

• SparklingWater
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Morning. Just saw this thread back up.

We like our new Jenn Air (JVC2290VEM-CD FD with internal dispenser) very much! It's been running since August so still early, but so far so good. It's quiet which was important to me (single compressor). It has nice even internal air circulation. We've had no condensate issues. The internal filtrated water supply is stupendous and a great alternative to prior Brita. The freezer is large, accurate, and the ice maker performs with ice staying in the box. It's not the largest producer of ice so you'd need to supplement at a big party. The Jenn Air cleans up very nicely exteriorly with Weissman SS cleaner. The Pro handle mesh allows finger access without showing prints by design.

On recent vacation, I turned the house water main off for the first time ever out of precaution. I did wonder how this would impact the JA: would I be introducing a hitch to the internal water dispenser or ice maker? On return I bleed the line of the water dispenser for two minutes and discarded the water. Both started right up as expected. Nice to know.

Never had a Jenn Air before (long time KA liker) but this CD is great. I did both JA and KA Customer Service prior to the purchase to get a feel for them. Two different numbers and quite honestly, two different attitudes imo.

Hope this helps. It's early. I'll try to remember to update this thread from time to time, especially if a repair comes up.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Thanks, Lynn and Sparlingwater. I am forever confused when it comes to appliances. We all talk about which one is quieter, which one is better, etc., etc., but if they are all made by the same manufacturer and look EXACTLY alike internally, I imagine that they all the same fridge with the same parts, compressor, etc. I would think that the only differences would be in the finish on the doors and the handles. But a difference in customer service for the different brands would be a BIG deal to me. I despise KA customer service and buying the identical refrigerator with better customer service makes sense. On another recent thread, someone was talking about poor reviews for JennAire, but how can KA have better reviews than JennAire or Viking when they are all the SAME refrigerator?? I don't get it ... ???? It's all so confusing!!!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Sparklingwater for your review as I am leaning towards the Jenn-Air model you chose that has the $300 Rebate. I love the layout and the freezer as well as both handles it offers. Jellytoast, we all help each other and learn. Believe me the stainless steel was nice on both the Jenn-Air and the KitchenAid and nicer than the dishwasher I bought at the end of November 2009 that is a KitchenAid. I was so surprised that both were so identical in everyway but the handles and name so I asked the salesman and he agreed and then I came home to do my research and realized they are identical! Maybe some get lemons and post and others that get lemons don't post much? I wonder also if they are the same why aren't the repair rates the same? Maybe one subdivision takes care of their customers and fixed problems right away so there is not much complaining while the other subdivision of Whirlpool does not fix repairs quickly and gives customers a harder time?