Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fridge filters--must they come from manufacturer?

Posted by breezygirl (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 17:34

Forgive me if this is a really silly question. I've never owned a fridge hooked up to plumbing before.

My built-in KA KBLC36FTS04 has an internal ice maker with filter. Being ever so helpful, the fridge has been telling me for weeks that I need to replace the filter. Must I order the filter through KA or can I order it cheaper from another source? If not from KA, where might you suggest?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fridge filters--must they come from manufacturer?

Check prices on online (e.g., Amazon.com, or other outfits you trust). The important thing is that the filter you get needs to be the right one (shape, size, model #; whatever) for the exact fridge you have, so that it fits and works and stuff. My filter (for a Samsung fridge) just screws in like a car's oil filter, only easier.

Its certainly worth checking online retailers for a better deal than you'll get at the local stores or through KA. But look for the filter made for the fridge you have, most likely by KA.

o

I've ordered from these websites in the past. They used to offer six-packs which gave you an even bigger discount but now they only seem to offer 2-packs. There are probably other websites as well. The ones I bought were authentic Whirlpool/KA filters. As chac_mool said, make sure you get the correct one.

http://www.filtersfast.com/

http://www.thefilterstoreonline.com/

o

Breezy,

Try a Google search.
I've replaced my Samsung CD/FD water filter with an aftermarket unit for almost 1/2 the price and have suffered no consequence.
My sympathies for your recent loss.

Will

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here