Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frenchie4moi

What cooktop do you have? Like it?

frenchie4moi
14 years ago

Hi,

**forgive me if this is duplicated - I tried posting yesterday but it did not go through**

I'm trying to decide on what gas cooktop to purchase. I want a 36" stainless and have ordered the GE Profile only because I got an amazing deal on it. I'm thinking of cancelling it for the 36" Dacor. The GE samples in the stores are scratched to heck and the dacor is a brushed stainless.

What cooktop do you have? Are you happy with it? Pro and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Merci!!

Nancy

Comments (16)

• mrtimewise
    14 years ago

Well, Nancy, as you might have guessed by my post just moments ago, we like the Thermador gas cooktop. And if we would be able to use a 36" version we would be thrilled.

• theanimala
    14 years ago

I have the 36" DCS cooktop, and I like it very much. Very clean looking, and simmer on all 5 burners. Biggest issue with it is the labeling for the burners next to the knobs can wear off if harsh chemicals are used. My wife only uses a stainless steel cleaner and plain water and ours looks (and functions) same as new, 4 years later.

• amcook
    14 years ago

If you are looking for a drop-in cooktop, Bluestar is the only option for cooking performance IMHO. Open burners are a must if your top priority is cooking performance and AFAIK, Bluestar is the *only* manufacturer that produces an open drop-in cooktop. Now, I realize that some prefer sealed burners because they feel it's easier to clean and looks better so if that's the case here, then go with what you like looks wise.

Have fun with whatever you choose.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

I don't have a cooktop but a rangetop. I wanted to chime in and say that I would only look at models that have a stacked burner or a star burner shape. I have a Dacor which is a regular round burner and although I like it, I know that having a stacked burner would make wok cooking much easier and things tend to cook faster on the edges and star raw in the middle. If I were looking at a 36" cooktop, I would be targeting the Bluestar, Thermador and Gaggenau because these have the dual burners. I am not sure if the newer mieles have the dual burners. I think a few burners on the Miele have dual stack and the others don't.

Good luck with your search!
    Homepro01

• frenchie4moi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your time!

• sunnyflies
    14 years ago

I had a Dacor cooktop and would never buy another. The black coating, or whatever it was, of the metal grids that go above the flame bubbled, deformed and looked awful. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. I replaced it with a range (wolf) when I redid the kitchen.

• debs3
    14 years ago

We have the Wolf 30" gas cooktop. We previous had an electric coil stove so I am still getting acquainted with gas. Controlling the cooking temperature is very easy and all the burners are dual stacked, therefore it has a high to low simmer on all burners. It is easy to clean, but I have to clean the whole thing every time, not just wipe around the electric burners until it needs a complete cleaning.

This may not pertain to your question unless you are going from electric to gas, but since you asked what we didn't like, I'll say it. Our electric coil stove was much, much faster at boiling water. I notice that my pans' exterior, including the lids and handles, get very hot on the gas cooktop, this didn't happen on the electric stove. I rarely had to use a hot pad to remove a lid or grab a pan's handle on the electric stove. At first I thought I was using the wrong size burner, but it even happens on the smaller burner. In case it matters, most of my cookware is 30+ year old Revere with the copper bottom.

• mcmann
    14 years ago

I have had a Dacor Epicure ECH366 (I think that's the model) for 4 years and love it. I'm not sure what model sunnyflies had but my metal grids are fine.

• chihuahua6
    14 years ago

I had a 36" six burner Dacor until recently (moved.) It was great, easy to clean, good looks, I had the copper trim around the knobs. It came with a griddle, wok ring and simmer plate, all of which got placed right over the grids.

The only negative was sometimes the electric ignitor would keep clicking when the rear right burner was used. Many times I would just use another burner because it would not stop clicking. Other times it was fine.

• melinrk
    14 years ago

Just ordered the Dacor 36" six burner Epicure. I am dreaming about it, I'm so excited. My husband teases me that it has enough room to put my pillow on.
    It comes with the griddle and wok ring - a good deal.
    Cleanability was a huge issue for us, and I think this will be easiest. I'm not willing to baby my cooktop.

• annemarie29
    14 years ago

I am just starting cooktop research. Noticed the open burner vs. closed burner note above, curious why closed are less efficient. I have a Dacor now, don't like it. Know it might be too expensive, but wondering if I could combine the Wolf integrated modules to get what I want? Has anyone done that, do gas/electric lines have to be run to each module? I love the Wolf range top with griddle, broiler, but don't want a range. Plan to have two large pull out drawer under cooktop, and separate ovens at a height that works better.

• annemarie29
    14 years ago

OK ignore the open closed question, just read posts here telling all I would ever want to know. Think the reason I don't like my Dacor is the closed burners, always walking the sponge over there and usually too hot to clean properly, think my Viking was easier. Now trying to decide btwn, blue star and wolf, cooktops, seems like bs has the config. I want without having to do the module thing...........so much info...so little time

• amcook
    14 years ago

annemarie29,

AFAIK, if you are looking for a drop-in cooktop, then Bluestar is the only game in town if you want open burners. Be warned however, the Bluestar drop-in is deep. What I mean is it drops down 5" from the surface of the counter whereas most sealed drop-in's run around 3" or so. This might limit what you can do just underneath it. Basically, if you are willing to do a cutout for a rangetop, then you can be open to more brands and options. In the end, if you want open burners, you might have to give up some drawer space either way.

• bicoastal
    14 years ago

if u cook alot, all my 3 yr research points to BluSt, be it the drop in cooktop or the reg cooktop

Have a drop in 36" cooktop Thermador 5 burner installed 12 yrs back, and unless they have radically upgraded things, i would never buy again: a) glass top is a bear to keep clean b)ignition and the way the round burner plate sits creates malfunctions c) having controls on top surface is convenient for use, but sure as can be, they will get damaged when some clown accidentally rests a heavy hot pot on them while lifting and moving. d) little parts, like gasket at the knobs etc., are too easy to lose or damage. We are very careful in a child free environ so this cooktop has lasted well this long. e) BTUs on the two hot burners is nice but way below what you can get these days f) the on/off simmer is nice...if you can put up with the constant ignition clicking when it restarts the flame

• sayde
    14 years ago

If you want open burners I believe Blue Star is the only one that you can get in a 4 burner 30 inch model. The others are all 36.

• dtrumpet101
    14 years ago

we have had the dacor 36" preference cooktop for a little over a year now. We love it. Its my first gas cooktop so I have nothing to compare it to, but it does everything we want it to do, and does it very well. from very gentle simmer to high sear, so far so good.