Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv2putt

Racing Red Induction- 1yr later

luv2putt
10 years ago

So here we are 1 yr later with my Viking Induction Range...I can still say I love everything about it ... Zero issues and performs flawlessly ... Here is the original thread. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0614411021786.html
it still looks as good as the day I bought it .... I cant say enuff about the virtues of induction ... So happy I didn't go gas ... Clean up is a breeze .. I use pans from 8" to 14"" without issue ....temp control is amazingly fast and can be done by feel without looking at the knobs to check .... This feature alone is what sold me originally and still impresses me.... Guess you can say I have become one with my range ... To all of you that have written me directly I hope have answered your questions in your search for a new range ...
Brad

Comments (19)

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to do an update - real world experience over a period of time is very helpful to others who are looking. I went back and looked at your first post on that range - that is a good looking range.

• luv2putt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Barry!!!

• Fori
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. Viking has a checkered reputation around here but there sure isn't much else out there that looks that good!

• luv2putt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thx Fori !!!

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Glad the Viking is treating You well, sure is a "Nifty looking range".

Hope some other companies get the idea of how an induction range "Can look" and hence some competition for Viking and maybe prices will become more reasonable!

Gary

• Barbarav
    10 years ago

OMG, I forgot all about this red beauty! Gary, I wonder if the manufacturers really give a hoot about what appeals to the consumer. There haven't been any new models of induction ranges in years. It is currently forcing me tO go with a cooktop, spending extra money on cabinet work for the wall oven!
    Brad, if I could afford it that beauty you have would be mine (but in blue!). Thanks for the update.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I remember that post, I'm amazed it's been a year already. Thanks for the update - we may be looking at induction in the near future.

Here is a link that might be useful: red induction

• luv2putt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is hard to believe its been a year ,,, but I haft to say induction " is all that !!" No matter what brand , I highly recommend I induction !!!

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Brad,
    Your follow up one year later (last June) pushed me over the edge to order a Viking induction range - my major splurge in recent kitchen reno. Our new graphite gray beauty is installed and working. It is everything you say and more! Love the knobs, the control, the easy sliding racks in the oven and of course the ease of cleaning. Thank you for your reviews and your encouragement here at GW.
    B-P

• luv2putt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay on your purchase !!! I hope u get some pics up and share the luv !!!
    Brad

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Have you seen the commercials for that small portable induction cooker on TV Brad?

To show how "Inexpensive" it is, they show your range, which of course is probably the most expensive Induction Range sold in the US, and certainly the most beautiful one.

Course I'm glad to see the Viking Range get the "free press", and I'm glad you are still enjoying yours and that it has been trouble free!

Gary

• beachpea3
    10 years ago

Brad,

Am on the road this week. Will post a picture as soon as I return. Kitchen is still a "work in progress"!

B-P

• charon70
    8 years ago

luv2putt.....How hot does an induction range get? I sear meats often for my husband in a cast iron pan. Can I do this on an induction? What about cooking with a Wok?

• plllog
    8 years ago

This is a really old thread. You could start a new one. Quick answer, yes you can sear in a cast iron pan on Induction. It's the pan that gets hot, not the range, with induction. :) Cooking with a wok is not ideal on induction unless you have a specialty unit that's mean for wok cooking.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

LOL! You will not have any issues getting the heat you need with induction. The issue is actually the opposite. Pans get so hot so fast that it can actually be dangerous if you don't pay close attention, especially for induction newbies.

As for wok cooking, it's definitely possible, but like any glass cooktop you need a flat bottomed wok. I have never wokked on induction myself, but most people who have seem to prefer gas. It seems to be one of the few cases where even serious induction fans admit gas is better. They do make dedicated curved induction wok units.

• jwvideo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What plllog and hvtech said, plus have you seen this thread on how hot cast iron can get for searing with regular induction burners?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2349168/maximum-temperature-on-an-induction-cooktop.

For wokking --- whatever variation you might have in mind --- I suggest you try a google/ask/whatever search using this string: "gardenweb + induction + wok." That should get you a dozen or so previous discussions of the topic. Also try repeating it by substituting "chowhound" and "egullet" for gardenweb. That may tell you as much or more than you wanted to know.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

It's the pan that gets hot, not the range, with induction

That doesn't mean the cooktop doesn't get hot, it does, but it's heat transferred from the bottom of the pan to the cooktop, rather than the cooktop itself directly heating up, therefore, it will never get AS hot as a regular cooktop.

• charon70
    8 years ago

Thanks for your responses and information.