Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning the air intakes to a Whirlpool water heater.

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 16:43

Many persons have the problem with my Whirlpool water heater mentioned in an earlier thread. To proceed further with diagnosis I be a need to clean the air intakes for the pilot light and burner.

As silly as it sounds, I cannot find the air intake to my pilot light and burner.

Can someone explain, or do you have a link to a manual or forum that shows where the air intake is and how best to clean it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning the air intakes to a Whirlpool water heater.

Not sure I understand your question. Gas water-heaters' burner and pilot are positioned in an open-air configuration. There is no "air intake" per se other than to make sure the unit is in a free-air environment. For example, many installations are in closets - but those closets have vents in their walls or doors so air can move freely and the burner/pilot can get all they need.

Have I misunderstood your problem?

o
RE: Cleaning the air intakes to a Whirlpool water heater.

Some Whirlpool water heaters had a filter in the bottom.

They were all [supposed to have been] recalled.

Mine was not that model, hence I could not find the intake.

Whirlpool did volunteer, quite eagerly, to send me some free replacement parts for mine even though we don't know if that will fix it or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here